PODCAST: Legends Episode: Dan McCarney

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
That was just amazing. Amazing. I hope young cyclones never forget coach mac and what he did for us. Man.... thanks Chris and blum.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
It’s kinda cute hearing you guys refer to the “modern era”. Your definition is essentially “what’s contemporary with me”.

Not correct, but still cute. I suggest picking a different term.

Granted, I'm younger than you, but I consider Mac's hiring to be the start of the modern era of ISU football. His tenure laid the foundation of the modern success, fan support, and financial backing we are seeing today.

Campbell's success wouldn't be possible without Mac's body of work.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Short Mac story: freshman year in the early 2000s during Iowa week. I walked with a buddy from maple over to the commuter parking lot because I heard they were having a pep rally. Obviously had a beat Iowa shirt on but with a little liquid in me I found some duck tape and wrote f*** Iowa over it. Well I found my way to the front of the little pep rally and Mac makes his way up to the microphone with Meyer and some lineman behind him and I yelled at him and Mac saw my shirt before He grabbed the mic and said “your damn right, son” and smiled big at me. I could not of been more happy in that moment.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Enjoyed that very much. Thanks Chris and Brent. Iwas at Iowa State during the Jim Criner and early Jim Walden years. From a football fan perspective it was absolutely brutal to watch our players fight as hard as they could but just didn't have the talent to win. It was good to see Johnny Orr's teams starting to come into prominence to keep fan's spirits up during those times. So, to see how far Coach Mac had to come to build that football program like he did was really quite phenomenal.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Granted, I'm younger than you, but I consider Mac's hiring to be the start of the modern era of ISU football. His tenure laid the foundation of the modern success, fan support, and financial backing we are seeing today.

Campbell's success wouldn't be possible without Mac's body of work.

Agree. But I think Gene Smith's hiring as AD and the implicit support of the athletics department by President Jischke were just as important in building that foundation. Both knew finding success in the football program was the only way to a self sustaining athletics department.

We are really fortunate those three guys were there together at that time. Hard to imagine what the ISU sports landscape would have been like if Iowa State was as unprepared to enter the sports media age we've just come through and had not adapted from how they handled athletics in the 80's.

Reactions: CyBobby

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Gotta say, I wish chris and Blum would have brought up the John Davis injury fiasco. Amazing pod, really touching to see him get choked up.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
It’s kinda cute hearing you guys refer to the “modern era”. Your definition is essentially “what’s contemporary with me”.

Not correct, but still cute. I suggest picking a different term.
Did I miss something?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I normally listen to podcasts at 1.2x speed and Mac is one of the very rare people I had to put back at regular 1.0x speed just to keep up.

If you remember ISU football in the late 80s and early 90s, you know what he meant. I don't care how it ended, I don't care about his won-loss record. Give him his statue, or a name in a future ring of honor, whatever.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Danny Mac is great. We what you meant to us. CPR had his good qualities too....and he is still welcome in my Dojo. The Chiz.....although factually accurate in his assessment of tactical situations....not welcome in my Dojo.
Coach Campbell....have a beer with Danny Mac. Having a beer with a buddy is certainly within the margins.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Glad to hear Campbell is trying to do more for former players/coaches.

Indeed. Glad Campbell is bringing back so many from the past. Prohm too. Wonder why others weren't doing this.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
It’s easy to understand why he could convince people to come play for him and donate. He just oozes enthusiasm and confidence.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
I usually listen to my pods at 1.5 speed. I had to slow it normal speed for Mac because he lives and talks like he’s shot out of a cannon. Great interview. Had the hair on my neck stand up few time reminiscing about things I attended and lived. Great job CDub and Blum. PS- Blum it was me and my crew that bombarded you at the hotel bar in San Antonio. When Mac came in it was even cooler.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I usually listen to my pods at 1.5 speed. I had to slow it normal speed for Mac because he lives and talks like he’s shot out of a cannon. Great interview. Had the hair on my neck stand up few time reminiscing about things I attended and lived. Great job CDub and Blum. PS- Blum it was me and my crew that bombarded you at the hotel bar in San Antonio. When Mac came in it was even cooler.
That was a great night in San Antonio! Thanks all for listening, Mac is the best and so glad we got the chance to visit.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That was a great night in San Antonio! Thanks all for listening, Mac is the best and so glad we got the chance to visit.
I love that he was himself and not "muted."
He just talks the way he sees it, mentions having a beer, etc. Just a great guy to listen to.