Possible news: NCAA split and Pac12 players strike

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Didn’t see anything posted on some major potential news:

1. Power 5 splitting from the NCAA to justify a football season? Some interesting quotes in here.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/01/power-5-exploring-staging-own-fall-sports-championships-2020

2. Supposedly a group of PAC12 players representing hundreds of players are going to sit out this year if there is a season to sit out of. Demanding 50% of revenues and no sports being cut. Not sure how that math is going to work especially heading into a year where AD’s aren’t sure how the budget is going to make it as is.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/08...-care-and-more/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

3. Bonus item: While looking at Jon Wilner’s news on the Pac12 he was saying the season is already looking a little dicey for the California schools. Will be interesting to see what develops and what happens if they don’t play.

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
Seems extreme. I think the high bargaining power argument is a false argument. The schools have the power and these kids will suffer the consequences. I wish them well, but it would have been nice if they would have looked at their individual schools P&L statement before making such ridiculous demands.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
We thought 2024 was supposed to be the big year for the future of college athletics. But whatever comes out of 2020 may turn out to be far more consequential.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Aren’t most PAC schools ADs basically broke. So, you win and get nothing, because schools would have to go D3 or something to survive.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah, NIL and the transfer rule are already in the works. But neither will happen before January. Pretty much none of this can be done before the season (except Covid protocols) even if the schools agreed to it. If those players stand firm, the P12 is DONE. At least for this year. I think I'd tell the players they can sit out if they want, but their scholarships will go to someone else. What the players don't understand is that people root for the schools MUCH more than individual players. People will still watch CFB even if the top tier players aren't participating.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
One thing I forgot to say, I think that the insurance point is a great idea. With all of the money schools make, they should have a policy for athletes the first few years out of school at least. Some of them have injuries that they'll have to deal with their whole lives.

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I would tell those PAC 12 players to turn in their equipment and go get a job or take out a loan to pay for their tuition if they still want to attend college. 50%?

Reactions: AlpharettaCy

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
One thing I forgot to say, I think that the insurance point is a great idea. With all of the money schools make, they should have a policy for athletes the first few years out of school at least. Some of them have injuries that they'll have to deal with their whole lives.

Of the demands medical insurance might be an area they could negotiate.

6 years seems a bit long and schools might want to limit to coverage for sport related injuries.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Title 9 is pretty straight forward, you have to provide basically the same benefits to both male and female athletes. It will never happen that one sport's athlete can demand more than another from the institution.

The "salaries" for each football player they want are about 50% of the basic rookie contract for the very few that make it after the first couple of rounds of the draft or camp invites, and most of them wash out in 2 years or less. For Iowa State it would be about $30 million a year based on the number they have computed, just for the football players.

Last but not least, they want to use agents and let them pay them money while they play in college. I think players are over estimating how much money all but the big stars are going to make with this likeness issue.

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
NFL players have to play for 5 years to get post career insurance.

Washington State has cut the players that signed off on this.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If they are striking, does it matter?

Label it as dumb but no response, classic. If you don't plan to play and they still give you your scholarship, I don't see what the player is losing. Why would a coach want players in the locker room possibly spreading Covid, taking up locker space and other things when they say they don't plan to play and are going to strike. Doesn't really make any difference if you are on the team or not.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
If they want 50% of the revenue, they better plan for losing other amenities to offset that. Even if an AD could afford that, it's going to mean the players losing their scholarship and paying tuition out of their own pocket. Plus, all those practice facilities and special dorms and rent subsidies are gone.

It isn't like the AD's are just pocketing this money. They're distributing a huge amount back to those players.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
If they want 50% of the revenue, they better plan for losing other amenities to offset that. Even if an AD could afford that, it's going to mean the players losing their scholarship and paying tuition out of their own pocket. Plus, all those practice facilities and special dorms and rent subsidies are gone.

It isn't like the AD's are just pocketing this money. They're distributing a huge amount back to those players.

So if FB players are going to get 50% of the FB revenue, does that mean that the soccer athletes have to pay in at the end of every year? Because they sure don't make any money. Pretty obvious that FB is paying the bills for all of the other sports outside of MBB. Some of these demands are not very well thought out.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Of the demands medical insurance might be an area they could negotiate.

6 years seems a bit long and schools might want to limit to coverage for sport related injuries.

Things are trending toward more support and freedom for players. It is probably an attempt to give in on minor things in lieu of paying them. I think that (in a normal year) schools are making enough money to offer insurance. Seems like the right thing to do. If I were in charge, I'd say 4 years and you have to graduate to be eligible. Maybe years 5 and 6 they have to pay in a premium to stay on the plan.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Label it as dumb but no response, classic. If you don't plan to play and they still give you your scholarship, I don't see what the player is losing. Why would a coach want players in the locker room possibly spreading Covid, taking up locker space and other things when they say they don't plan to play and are going to strike. Doesn't really make any difference if you are on the team or not.
It's dumb because people and I assume players strike to negotiate and return to the "jobs". Are you that clueless on strikes? They didn't "quit".