Possible news: NCAA split and Pac12 players strike

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I've already said that the 50% proposal is ridiculous. But your pulling the coaches salaries comments from sections talking about avoiding cuts in programs in response to the pandemic and then applying it to a different topic of revenue sharing.

But if you read articles outlining what they want and not just headlines, the 50% revenue was just a single bullet point in a long list of issues ranging from health insurance to guaranteed scholarships to transfer rules.

As with all idiotic opening negotiation stances, they have alienated a vast majority of people sitting across the table from them.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Ok, then have them start paying for attending the school and then we can use that money as a pool to equally pay all athletes. They can pay in 20k per year and earn 20k per year. We get back to net zero.

Why do employees have to get paid the same? That's not how that works. I was paid to go to school and paid partial tuition.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
When someone brings up using the colleges endowment as a source for funds for athletics. You should immediately disregard everything they say until they educate themselves on what is an endowment and how those funds get appropriated.

https://www.acenet.edu/Documents/Understanding-Endowments-White-Paper.pdf

Also, if you want to change the rules on how endowment funds are used. Athletics should be really **ckin low on the priority lists. I'd rather see lower tuition, addressing maintenance backlogs for exisiting properties, heavier investments into research. Using those funds to pay athletes is dumb..

Plain and simple. 99% of all college athletes aren't worth a cent individually. Sports media and talking heads only like to reference the Zion's of the world. When we should let them play professionally first. At the end of the day. Professional leagues are using college athletics as a training ground for these 1% athletes who will end up driving the ship

As long as players want to understand this basic fact as part of the discussion, then they should get what they can. If you are an athlete in any sport other than Football and MBB, you are a financial net negative on the university.

If you are on scholarship and don't play much or at all, then you are also a net financial negative, or at least you have very limited value.

And the Zion point is well taken. He was as hyped a player as we've seen. If he was playing in the G league nobody would care. His total "value" was driven up massively because he played at the most visible CBB school in the country. Put Ja Morant on Duke and Zion on Murray State and suddenly Morant is far and away the most valuable and visible player in the country.

I am least glad they are identifying the people actually getting really rich off the players - which are the coaches. I get tired of the people getting all excited about another really smart take by Jay Bilas on this, when all he does is throw out the same childish vague arguments about the "NCAA and schools" getting rich, while defending coaches salaries and the ridiculous facilities the students have. Execs at the NCAA, conferences, and ADs pay have certainly increased as college sports dollars have exploded, but not all that much considering the huge expansion of scope in those jobs. You can be a complete failure as a college head coach. Get canned in three years and retire better than 99% of your players will.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Meanwhile I see a bunch greedy TV execs and college administrators who are exploiting the labor of young men for their own personal benefit.

The coaches are the ones getting rich. If people are going to call out the exploitation factor, better be specific. Matt Campbell is getting rich off of ISU football players. I'm fine with people being outraged, but you better get your crosshairs on specific people.

An ADs job is orders of magnitude more complex and broad than it was 30 years ago. Is Pollard making $750k considering that excessive? I don't know.

Conference commissioners are getting rich, too, but those five guys making $4-5 M or so isn't going to fund many stipends.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think the Pac-12 players are probably being guided by some outside person or group with a financial interest in their proposals.

The primary issue is splitting revenue. Everything else is window dressing.

ESPN had an article about the player from WSU who is part of the group and also notified his university he was opting out of playing this year for health concerns because he has sickle-cell. A very legitimate concern and he probably should avoid group settings. The player is upset because he thought he would still be able to practice and take part in team activities, just not travel to games. Maybe schools could do a better job of communicating about what opting out means. But I struggle that his decision to opt out was truly for medical reasons, especially if he consulted a doctor (personal or team).

Also found his comment that if he's not practicing, why should he be on campus? Really! You don't see the value of attending in-person classes? Obviously his priority is football vs. getting a college education. As I posted in a prior thread, I blame the NCAA and college coaches for devaluing a college education.

Personally, I think the NCAA should get tougher on academics:
  • Require higher test scores or HS GPA to sign LOI.
  • Require minimum semester and cumulative GPA to be eligible.
  • Evaluate colleges if they are putting athletes in sham degree programs.
  • If schools fall below certain graduation rates, they should lose scholarships.