SEC conference only

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
You’re right, it’s all about the $$$.... because its definitely not about the players health or safety.

The scary thing is we don’t even know all the permanent damage that this virus can cause yet to the human body, but we’re willing to risk kids permanent health for $$$ and our selfish entertainment.

Will the schools be financially responsible if a player gets Covid and years from now their kidneys fail?

Are they responsible if they get a concussion? Or their knee is destroyed?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Are they responsible if they get a concussion? Or their knee is destroyed?

Those are football injuries, some of which are under players control. Just like an injury in a car accident is a driving injury. Which is nothing like contracting an invisible virus that someone else that may not have known they had it gave it to you. COVID can’t even be compared to HIV let alone a concussion or knee injury in a football game.

Reactions: Macloney

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Those are football injuries, some of which are under players control. Just like an injury in a car accident is a driving injury. Which is nothing like contracting an invisible virus that someone else that may not have known they had it gave it to you. COVID can’t even be compared to HIV let alone a concussion or knee injury in a football game.

And a team sponsoring football activities would be more likely to be responsible for those things as they are expected to happen. This is a virus that no one has any control over and nobody could ever prove how anyone was really infected. So much less likely to have any realistic liability.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
And a team sponsoring football activities would be more likely to be responsible for those things as they are expected to happen. This is a virus that no one has any control over and nobody could ever prove how anyone was really infected. So much less likely to have any realistic liability.

Awesome?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

If someone gets a concussion or broken leg, can that spread to the entire team?

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
If someone gets a concussion or broken leg, can that spread to the entire team?

What do you think the percentage of football players that will test positive will be compared to the student body as a whole?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
What do you think the percentage of football players that will test positive will be compared to the student body as a whole?

Far fewer because they really want to play and have far more resources than the average student will have to access.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
With all other P5 schools down to conference only games, what's the point of trying to reschedule the Iowa game, still playing UNLV e.t.c? Seems the big 12 should follow suit if non con games are not gonna hold any weight

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
With all other P5 schools down to conference only games, what's the point of trying to reschedule the Iowa game, still playing UNLV e.t.c? Seems the big 12 should follow suit if non con games are not gonna hold any weight

Only 2 conferences have officially gone this route that I've seen. Perhaps because we want to be a leader instead of just following the two $$$ conferences. Nobody knows how this is going to work out so I don't think we can say there is a right or wrong at this time.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
You’re right, it’s all about the $$$.... because its definitely not about the players health or safety.

The scary thing is we don’t even know all the permanent damage that this virus can cause yet to the human body, but we’re willing to risk kids permanent health for $$$ and our selfish entertainment.

Will the schools be financially responsible if a player gets Covid and years from now their kidneys fail?

With the exception of of handful of kids...the vast majority of P5 fball players want to play fball. Nobody is forcing them. Kids can just say I don’t feel safe..still get their scholarship..and go home.

everything is about money. Hospitals are in it for money. Everything. It’s the world we are living in.

So in your view it seems we should just shut everything down...everyone stay home ...until it s gone.

I don’t agree.

As for the big 12...Hope they come out and say we are proceeding as planned normally. And we start the season Aug 29th like OU...lol.

starting end of Sept like SEC or others is gonna be worse.

I say get a few games in earlier the better.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008

I understand what you are saying here. The flip side is....players are most certainly giving themselves brain injuries playing, most years you see a kid die of heat stroke or get paralyzed playing football. Are the universities responsible for that? We already are risking kids health for entertainment and have been for years. So brain injury is acceptable, paralysis is acceptable, heat stroke is acceptable...but COVID is not. And that may be right, not saying that is wrong either... but that is what we are saying if there is no sports.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Only 2 conferences have officially gone this route that I've seen. Perhaps because we want to be a leader instead of just following the two $$$ conferences. Nobody knows how this is going to work out so I don't think we can say there is a right or wrong at this time.
I must be mistaken then, I knew the Big 14 and the pathetic 12 had gone conference only, but I thought the ACC and SEC had officially followed suit

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
MLB has been going for a week, and already have two teams that are canceling games because of the virus. A MLB team has 30 players, 10 to 15 coaches and staff and another 20 people involved around the players. They have the ability to separate players one to a room, and charter all flights between cities.

CFB will have over 90 players per team, with more coaches and support staff, with no ability to separate the players off the field. The teams will be in large group meetings or at least smaller position meeting with less dollars to stop the spread.

And some really think we are going to have a season? Start MAYBE, but we will never finish, and there will be NO fans for more than a game or two without a vaccine.

Reactions: Macloney

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I must be mistaken then, I knew the Big 14 and the pathetic 12 had gone conference only, but I thought the ACC and SEC had officially followed suit
ACC is doing 10 games + 1 OOC that has to comply with the ACC's testing and they must play at the ACC school's home field. The SEC is doing 10 conference games I believe.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
ACC is doing 10 games + 1 OOC that has to comply with the ACC's testing and they must play at the ACC school's home field. The SEC is doing 10 conference games I believe.
Interesting, so as it stands currently, Big 12 and ACC are at 11 and everyone else is at 10? What is the status of the South Dakota game for ISU?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
MLB has been going for a week, and already have two teams that are canceling games because of the virus. A MLB team has 30 players, 10 to 15 coaches and staff and another 20 people involved around the players. They have the ability to separate players one to a room, and charter all flights between cities.

CFB will have over 90 players per team, with more coaches and support staff, with no ability to separate the players off the field. The teams will be in large group meetings or at least smaller position meeting with less dollars to stop the spread.

And some really think we are going to have a season? Start MAYBE, but we will never finish, and there will be NO fans for more than a game or two without a vaccine.
I'm not going to say there's no way the season gets played, but people were also saying there's no way the NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, etc, would play this summer and here we are. Once the Marlins news dropped, almost everyone said, "seasons done, wrap it up, guys tested positive". Well here we are, games getting postponed, and the season still being played.

The fact of the matter is people are going to test positive. Without going to a bubble, it's absolutely inevitable.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Interesting, so as it stands currently, Big 12 and ACC are at 11 and everyone else is at 10? What is the status of the South Dakota game for ISU?
Well the Big 12 hasn't technically stated they're going to all conference right? Unless something dropped today that I didn't hear. As of right now, everyone's playing who's on their schedule unless a team on that schedule has to adhere to their conference's rules. So OU is probably looking for a team because Tennessee can't play, Texas too because LSU can't play, etc.

Bowlsby said the conference has 4-5 schedule options they are looking at and will decide at the beginning of the week next week.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I'm not going to say there's no way the season gets played, but people were also saying there's no way the NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, etc, would play this summer and here we are. Once the Marlins news dropped, almost everyone said, "seasons done, wrap it up, guys tested positive". Well here we are, games getting postponed, and the season still being played.

The fact of the matter is people are going to test positive. Without going to a bubble, it's absolutely inevitable.

You may be correct, but today we are hearing rumors that MLB will be shutting down for 2 weeks to stop the spread, and they had NO fans in the seats at any of their games.

This is happening with all the money in the world, and with less players involved. If MLB cannot make it work, how in the heck is CFB going to make it work?

Reactions: Statefan10