Star Wars - How to Properly View

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Talk to me about the Mandalorian. When is it appropriate to start watching it?

There's definitely a nostalgia aspect to it. I think that it stands on its own, but to really catch some of the inside stuff (characters, races, locations), you probably need to watch 4,5,6 before seeing it. Mandalorian is totally a western set in the SW universe. A lot of the same themes. And it's extremely well done.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Alright everyone, I need help. I realize some of you are going to judge me for this but I have never seen Star Wars.... any of them. My son (elem age) and I are starting them tomorrow, how shall we best view these? What order? What else do I need to know? Any and all tips are welcome. Thanks!

When you wake up tomorrow try to be the kid you were at 10 years old.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
When you wake up tomorrow try to be the kid you were at 10 years old.
giphy.gif

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This seems to be a different opinion than most. Why would one go this route?

chronological order but spoils one of the biggest reveals in film history.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
What is the deal with rogue one? Why is it not in the line up or vary in where people place it? NO spoilers please.....

takes place literally minutes before 4 starts. It’s very different from other SW movies in tone. IMO one of the most overrated things in SW if you ask me.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Pretty tough to predict what a 5 year old will think. My son liked 4-6 and watched those first at maybe 8. He has gone back and watched 1-3. I’d say repeat watches for him have been Empire Strikes Back the most by far.

Also thought maybe 1-3 would not seem so bad on a second watch 15 years later, but watching parts of them it is crazy just how awful those are. Like those aren’t just bad relative to 4-6, they are just flat out terrible movies.

Reactions: JM4CY

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Pretty tough to predict what a 5 year old will think. My son liked 4-6 and watched those first at maybe 8. He has gone back and watched 1-3. I’d say repeat watches for him have been Empire Strikes Back the most by far.

Also thought maybe 1-3 would not seem so bad on a second watch 15 years later, but watching parts of them it is crazy just how awful those are. Like those aren’t just bad relative to 4-6, they are just flat out terrible movies.

my 9 and 10 year olds don’t watch the prequels at all. My 10 year old watched 7-9 and Solo this week and likes those the most. So yeah you never know

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
I like 1-3 more than most people do. I think their stories are mostly good and are actually superior to 7-9. However, there's no way around admitting the acting and dialogue are cringy at times.

1-3 you should definitely watch if you want the full experience. Just go in with the knowledge that you won't be seeing any Oscar-level performances and they will seem fine. (Though Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan still slays, in my book.)

The acting is better in 7-9, but it's quite evident the story itself suffers from a lack of clarity in production.

4-6 are classics. Not in a "best films of all-time" manner - more so in a "groundbreaking and enjoyable to watch" manner.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
I like 1-3 more than most people do. I think their stories are mostly good and are actually superior to 7-9. However, there's no way around admitting the acting and dialogue are cringy at times.

1-3 you should definitely watch if you want the full experience. Just go in with the knowledge that you won't be seeing any Oscar-level performances and they will seem fine. (Though Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan still slays, in my book.)

The acting is better in 7-9, but it's quite evident the story itself suffers from a lack of clarity in production.

4-6 are classics. Not in a "best films of all-time" manner - more so in a "groundbreaking and enjoyable to watch" manner.
Also, I'd watch them in release order.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

I appreciate a little positivity. Was excited to start getting into 10 movie series but got considerably less excited albeit appreciative of the honest feedback. I’ll give all the movies ago over time.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Well boys, about 3/4s of the way through the first one. So many thoughts. Freaking nuts how long ago this was made. The thematic charm is great descriptor. The story depth - you can just see how many layers there all to all this.

Oh! The 5 yr old hasn’t moved other than to ask when a new people group introduced if they are good guys or bad guys.

Also, If I had a woman leave me for Harrison Ford, I wouldn’t be a bit ashamed. Just sayin

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Well boys, about 3/4s of the way through the first one. So many thoughts. Freaking nuts how long ago this was made. The thematic charm is great descriptor. The story depth - you can just see how many layers there all to all this.

Oh! The 5 yr old hasn’t moved other than to ask when a new people group introduced if they are good guys or bad guys.

Also, If I had a woman leave me for Harrison Ford, I wouldn’t be a bit ashamed. Just sayin
star wars is great because they tend to make who the good guys are and who the bad guys are really obvious. I could see that being a kid friendly aspect of it.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Didn’t quite make the last fight scene against the Death Star. Boy fell asleep. Didn’t want to finish without him. Will in the morning.

Don’t answer this, but wtf? Where in the hell did obi wan kenobi go???

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Phantom Menace
Clone Wars
Revenge of the Sith
Solo
Rogue One
New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Force Awakens
Last Jedi
Rise of Skywalker

Or

New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Rogue One

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If you really wanted to be a total psychopath and watch everything in order you could go:

Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Clone Wars animated series
Revenge of the Sith
Rebels animated series
Rogue One
A New Hope
Empire
Return of the Jedi
Mando
Resistance animated series
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi
The Rise of Skywalker

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I appreciate a little positivity. Was excited to start getting into 10 movie series but got considerably less excited albeit appreciative of the honest feedback. I’ll give all the movies ago over time.

Don't get me wrong, I love all SW stuff. Some is clearly better than others, and some of it I probably wouldn't like at all if I weren't just a fan of the universe that was created.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Alright everyone, I need help. I realize some of you are going to judge me for this but I have never seen Star Wars.... any of them. My son (elem age) and I are starting them tomorrow, how shall we best view these? What order? What else do I need to know? Any and all tips are welcome. Thanks!
05B5297A-4E85-43D2-99DD-4902CBBE1DC2.jpeg

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron