Retirement Targets

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Also curious, for any already to the age how many of you picked up long term care insurance? Of those not to the age, how many plan to do so? I am thinking I have to take a hard look at it around age 60???

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
When you reach the end of work life, what are you investment strategies? Way more conservative or what side of risk spectrum are you on at that point versus where you are now? Obviously depends on the balance when you first get there, but let's say you get to that age and you have your targeted amount. What is it invested in at that point, what's your mix?

I'm hoping to have a **** load of rentals for living expenses/cash flow, sell my company stock for toys and cocaine, and keep my 401k and retirement funds loaded up in the stock market to be my safety net and hopefully give away in when I die.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
When you reach the end of work life, what are you investment strategies? Way more conservative or what side of risk spectrum are you on at that point versus where you are now? Obviously depends on the balance when you first get there, but let's say you get to that age and you have your targeted amount. What is it invested in at that point, what's your mix?

My retirement funds are basically an inheritance vehicle. The businesses should take care of me so I'm leaving the foot on the gas and 100% stocks.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
My retirement funds are basically an inheritance vehicle. The businesses should take care of me so I'm leaving the foot on the gas and 100% stocks.

My plan is very similar - farm rental income to cover living expenses in retirement and ideally I wouldn't have to touch the 401K/IRA money. If I have $3M in retirement money at 60, live to 90, invest it in stocks at 8%, and never touch it, I could turn that $3M into $32.8M by the time I die. I could set my family up well and do a ton of charitable work with it that would be really cool.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

Best plan is to save up as much as you can so you can afford to take risk all the way into and through retirement. Letting off the gas at age 50 and coasting into retirement with "conservative asset allocation" is for sallies that want to get eaten alive by inflation and a (hopefully) long retirement.

Reactions: 4theCYcle

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Also curious, for any already to the age how many of you picked up long term care insurance? Of those not to the age, how many plan to do so? I am thinking I have to take a hard look at it around age 60???

I'm a long ways from this yet, but I've read that 60 is a good target. I struggle, because that seems really young to be thinking about nursing homes/assisted living. I suppose your overall health and family history play significant factors in that number. The idea behind it seems solid, though.

Depending on the number, I'd like to still stay aggressive. I'm sure we'll tip the scales to a more conservative approach than what we have currently, but I plan on letting a good percentage alone to keep earning. My wife is a finance grad and has been much more financially aggressive than I would have been all these years. I really lucked out in that regard!

Reactions: yowza

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I have no idea but I took out term life policies that expire at age 62 and 63. Figure I will be in retirement by then and if I go, wife will have access to the retirement funds free and clear. If I go before then, the insurance will carry her to that point.

Wife would also have life insurance if you keep the insurance and your kids could inherit what is left.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I understand the disability and survivor aspect. I also look at the situation of my dad and my oldest sister. My dad died after receiving one, just one, SS check at age 66. My sister passed at 64 and received none. If you would factor them as averaging 25,000/year jobs (over their 45 years of work), that is 279,000 that they paid in SS and between the two, they received a check for $600. They carried LI and investments to take care of the situations you presented. That is a lot of money to be able to pass on to their loved ones (especially if you consider even CD rates), instead of a check for $600.

Having been in a business that dealt with many people who had severe mental and physical disabilities, there are some poor games played in those situations. The "spend down" stuff needs to stop. I oversaw a vocational center that employed people with disabilities and those without. They were paid the same, worked the same hours. Those with mild disabilities would have to quarterly go spend a bunch of their income to avoid having more than a thousand dollars in their account. Several bought new TVs every quarter and either threw out the old ones or gave them to a buddy. Just a waste of money. It is note a well run program from many angles. So much could be improved, but won't due to politics.

My in-laws ate up everything in nursing home costs. Strokes suck. Leave you disabled and dependent on care. Apartment building and houses. Large amount of cash and property all gone. Nursing home took it all. There is a 5 year look back. Most people do not realize that if they go to a nursing home for years they will eat up most or all of their savings. $225 per person per day. Get 2 at a time in the nursing home and it eventually goes.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Wife would also have life insurance if you keep the insurance and your kids could inherit what is left.
Wife is same age as me. I meant if I die while policies are in effect, she gets insurance to maintain lifestyle until she reaches retirement age. If I die after policies lapse, she has the retirement accounts to draw on immediately. Was more relevant 15 years ago when I started them, the closer you get to retirement the less necessary the life insurance.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I understand the disability and survivor aspect. I also look at the situation of my dad and my oldest sister. My dad died after receiving one, just one, SS check at age 66. My sister passed at 64 and received none. If you would factor them as averaging 25,000/year jobs (over their 45 years of work), that is 279,000 that they paid in SS and between the two, they received a check for $600. They carried LI and investments to take care of the situations you presented. That is a lot of money to be able to pass on to their loved ones (especially if you consider even CD rates), instead of a check for $600.

Having been in a business that dealt with many people who had severe mental and physical disabilities, there are some poor games played in those situations. The "spend down" stuff needs to stop. I oversaw a vocational center that employed people with disabilities and those without. They were paid the same, worked the same hours. Those with mild disabilities would have to quarterly go spend a bunch of their income to avoid having more than a thousand dollars in their account. Several bought new TVs every quarter and either threw out the old ones or gave them to a buddy. Just a waste of money. It is note a well run program from many angles. So much could be improved, but won't due to politics.

None of those disabled are flush with money, living the life of Riley either. So they are working around the rules, but how much were they making? Couple bucks an hour, how much was spent on their housing and food? Its not easy being disabled in America, and those that think they are living on easy street, really have no clue what they are talking about.

Someone once asked me what it was like being a parent of child with a disability, I thought about it and told them the best I could. "its like being in prison with no release date." Sure there are perks, like using the handicapped sticker to park in the front of lot or at JTS, but those perks are far out numbered by the rest of the crap you have too do on a daily basis. Try walking into a crowded place to eat one time with a person in a wheelchair, or even walking down a crowded street. Feeding, dressing, bathing them on a daily basis. Now try doing it as in my case for 40 years.

I feel for you father, but sometimes that is the way it works out, Oh, by the way, my daughter nor my wife and I receive any money from the government, and she is on my wife's insurance policy. Sometimes we have to be there for others, its the American way.

Reactions: Stormin

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
None of those disabled are flush with money, living the life of Riley either. So they are working around the rules, but how much were they making? Couple bucks an hour, how much was spent on their housing and food? Its not easy being disabled in America, and those that think they are living on easy street, really have no clue what they are talking about.

Someone once asked me what it was like being a parent of child with a disability, I thought about it and told them the best I could. "its like being in prison with no release date." Sure there are perks, like using the handicapped sticker to park in the front of lot or at JTS, but those perks are far out numbered by the rest of the crap you have too do on a daily basis. Try walking into a crowded place to eat one time with a person in a wheelchair, or even walking down a crowded street. Feeding, dressing, bathing them on a daily basis. Now try doing it as in my case for 40 years.

I feel for you father, but sometimes that is the way it works out, Oh, by the way, my daughter nor my wife and I receive any money from the government, and she is on my wife's insurance policy. Sometimes we have to be there for others, its the American way.

To answer your question, they made 7.50/hour for 40 hour weeks. So they made 15k annually back in the 90s. Like I said, same as the rest of the workers. Winnebago at the time had just hit 10/hour. So I always questioned if the governments objective was to normalize their situation as much as possible, why not have them pay some rent or insurance instead of having them spend a good chunk foolishly.

I can slightly imagine what you do daily. I worked in the more severe homes and was my moms caretaker while she was wheelchair bound for about 2 1/2 years. It is difficult. That is why I left my last job, so I could help with my kids and knew my mom would need help. Turned out I was able to help my sister in her fight with cancer along the way.

I believe in helping others, but am willing and do do it myself and prefer that over the government telling me who and what I should help.

Reactions: yowza

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I “mostly” retired 3 months ago, at age 60.
I still work a few hours /week in the same industry that I worked in for the last 36 years.
I will earn roughly $20k/ year doing this for the next 3-4 years to help pay for Healthcare until age 65
My wife is 59 & loves her job & She will have IPERS when she retires.
We have zero debt and $2.6 million in various investments.
My “Plan” is to delay taking SS until age 67.
I’m drawing on one IRA acct. over the next 7 years until I take SS.
My tax advisor recommended this strategy.
We received approx. $800k inheritance last year, We let just shy of $200k pass thru to our 2 kids ages 30 & 32.
My Dad shared with me, a few years ago that he was concerned whether any of his Grandkids would ever see any of his money. (He has 10 grandkids). I promised him that 2 of his Grandkids WOULD see some of his money.
When my wife and I shared the news with our kids and that this was from their Grandfather thru us.
They were shocked, & happy, and tears were shed.
I am so thankful that we were in a position to do this.
Also, I’m loving retirement!

That's awesome. And this thread is awesome. I'd love for someone that's retired to start a thread discussing retirement. I'm 39 and want to be financially secure within the next 5-10 years so that I could "retire" if I wanted to but I love my work and will likely keep going. But I've heard so much mixed feelings on retirement. Some love it. Some are bored after 6 months and have to find something to do...

Last edited:
Reactions: mark46

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Sorry to hear that and hope you have a bunch of time left. I feel this could be a

That's awesome. And this thread is awesome. I'd love for someone that's retired to start a thread discussing retirement. I'm 39 and want to be financially secure within the next 5-10 years so that I could "retire" if I wanted to but I love my work and will likely keep going. But I've heard so much mixed feelings on retirement. Some love it. Some are bored after 6 months and have to find something to do...

You want retired people talking about sleeping til noon and wearing pajamas all day, then posting a cat video? Well @ImJustKCClone and @BoxsterCy Can tell you that stuff.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Best plan is to save up as much as you can so you can afford to take risk all the way into and through retirement. Letting off the gas at age 50 and coasting into retirement with "conservative asset allocation" is for sallies that want to get eaten alive by inflation and a (hopefully) long retirement.

Bonds are your grandparents old odd flavored candies now. So out of favor.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Bonds are your grandparents old odd flavored candies now. So out of favor.

zqzrxzM.jpg

Reactions: CTTB78

mark46

Apr 22, 2011

We have Long Term Care Ins.
Alzheimer’s runs in the family & I have seen too many farms go to the nursing home.