Conference realignment by Pat Forde

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Won’t happen as too many teams that won’t bring in money I suppose, but an interesting idea.

Here’s the Q&A

Last edited:
Reactions: weeterkane

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
To many teams I would not care to see in our conference. It would be a hard sell to get us to go see a bunch of non power 5 schools every week at Jack Trice. At least with teams like Oklahoma, we might see a massive upset or at least top players play.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Won’t happen as too many teams that won’t bring in money I suppose, but an interesting idea.

I really like this idea from a fan perspective. Regional games between similar opponents would be alot more interesting to the fans. But out of region recruiting would take a big hit. And we would see some really dissimilar matchups in bowl games. It would be interesting as I think you would see very different approaches to the game depending on the conference in which it was played.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I really like this idea from a fan perspective. Regional games between similar opponents would be alot more interesting to the fans. But out of region recruiting would take a big hit. And we would see some really dissimilar matchups in bowl games. It would be interesting as I think you would see very different approaches to the game depending on the conference in which it was played.
The playoff system would really be interesting as well, that you’d need with these conferences.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

How awesome would it be to have 4 games against North Dakota State and all of the directional Michigan schools?!!! What great television. :confused:

Why is Pat Forde doing this anyway? Is it long term, or is it for Covid reasons?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
LMAO, the P5 schools are never going to sign up for something like this. Why the hell would the want to share revenue with G5 schools?

Last edited:

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
How awesome would it be to have 4 games against North Dakota State and all of the directional Michigan schools?!!! What great television. :confused:

Why is Pat Forde doing this anyway? Is it long term, or is it for Covid reasons?
Probably bored

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Like the regional aspect but too many teams. I would make the "conferences" or divisions a smaller so you would always play every team every year plus some inter division play with other divisions. Think set up more like MLB or NFL.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017

ND State would be a great game with huge fan support for both teams. Michigan schools...no. But then again we are playing South Dakota St and UNLV this year...not exactly great television.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

Basketball even worse. Probably have 20 conference games and 8 of them would be NDSU, EMU, CMU, WMU.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Probably bored

Hope so. There is no way the Alabamas and Ohio States want to be in a conference with directional state U down the road. And Notre Dame isn't joining a conference. All they need to do is expand to 8 for the playoffs. Every P5 Champ and 3 at large. All P5 are happy. Notre Dame is happy and the non P5 would probably be satisfied.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Hope so. There is no way the Alabamas and Ohio States want to be in a conference with directional state U down the road. And Notre Dame isn't joining a conference. All they need to do is expand to 8 for the playoffs. Every P5 Champ and 3 at large. All P5 are happy. Notre Dame is happy and the non P5 would probably be satisfied.
From the Q&A link

Dellenger: How does the pandemic impact this? How many teams can afford to play big-time football?

Forde: The pandemic is both a reason to do this, and perhaps a reason to not even think about doing it. Obviously, one of the guiding principles here was rigorous geography—decrease costs by playing closer to home and recruiting closer to home. It also would be better for the athletes, in terms of reduced health risk via traveling and less academic time being wasted going long distances to play. However, as you and I both know, the pandemic has stretched budgets very thin, which would make keeping-up-with-the-Joneses upgrades in facilities and staff a daunting prospect. It's obviously a very difficult time to tell, say, Arkansas State it needs to invest tens of millions of dollars to compete with a new set of Power-5 opponents. On the flip side, think of the massively improved gate receipts some of these schools would get from hosting high-profile opponents.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
ND State would be a great game with huge fan support for both teams. Michigan schools...no. But then again we are playing South Dakota St and UNLV this year...not exactly great television.

Yeah, but those aren't conference games. And it's only two. Not four. And those games are done by mid Sept. I don't think North Dak St would hold up with week after week of Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa St, Mizzou, K-State, Nebraska, etc... Are they big enough to jump out of 1AA anyway?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I wouldn't hate a division of ISU, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri, K-State and Kansas. Just a big no to the MAC and 1AA schools. Probably wouldn't be fair the them anyway.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I like the general groupings of the P5 schools.

Find something else for the current G5 schools though.

Otherwise you end up with what the SEC and B1G (and what the B12 use to) do and it's not even close how much more interesting a round robin/play everyone schedule is.

There's teams/schools I've only really recently started hating for on the field/court stuff and that's due to the frequency of ISU facing them.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Yeah, but those aren't conference games. And it's only two. Not four. And those games are done by mid Sept. I don't think North Dak St would hold up with week after week of Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa St, Mizzou, K-State, Nebraska, etc... Are they big enough to jump out of 1AA anyway?

Schools like N. Dakota state would then struggle with not being able to bring in former P5 players and have them play immediately like they can currently do.
They would be able to expand their roster size, but look at any school that has moved up to either G5 or P5 level, it took them a few years to be able to compete in the higher league.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I wouldn't hate a division of ISU, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri, K-State and Kansas. Just a big no to the MAC and 1AA schools. Probably wouldn't be fair the them anyway.

NDSU has wins over five of those teams in the last decade. (Kansas, Minnesota, KSU, ISU, Iowa)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron