Blake Hinson Committed To ISU!

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
All the negative recruiting news this transfer season. However, if you step back and look at the guys we got compared to the guys we lost. We upgraded big time. Good job Coach.

But, but, but ... we were 0/20 on recruits at one point. Prohm can't recruit, end of discussion.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
But, but, but ... we were 0/20 on recruits at one point. Prohm can't recruit, end of discussion.

Right. Like it was a test or something. Look if we get 3 good recruits and failed on 100. We still killed it if they were good recruits. If we get 3 recruits and failed on 2 others but the 3 we got sucked. That is a failure.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Gach may end up wishing he'd made a better decision. I wouldn't be surprised if Prohm finds a PG unless he thinks Harris is the guy and gets the waiver.

My guess is they do think harris is the guy. We wanted him bad outta highschool

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Being old and growing up in eastern Iowa he reminds me of my favorite Hok to watch growing up ( other than Lester) Vince Brookins. Quick smooth jumper.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
My guess is they do think harris is the guy. We wanted him bad outta highschool

We as in fans wanted him bad but ended up with some dude who was a three star named Tyrese Haliburton instead so the coaches quit recruiting Harris. Strange how things work out in college sports

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
After watching those highlights, he reminds me a bunch of Shayok. Shayok may have a more consistent jump shot, but otherwise, they look very similar. Love this add and probably exactly what they need.

Ehh, that may be a stretch. Shayok had more to his game in my opinion. He had more to his dribble and was quicker of creating his own shot. Hinson seems to thrive off of a catch and shoot a little more than creating his own shot like Shayok could do. At least that's what I gathered mostly from the highlights above. Either that, or they didn't do a great job of showcasing all of Hinson's strengths.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I love the elevation on his jump shot. It seems he often not only stops on the jump shot (rather than still drifting forward like a lot of players tend to do) but he actually jumps backwards a small amount. This makes it really tough to call a charge on a player unless he makes contact before his jump. It also makes it tougher to block and could result in more fouls on shot blockers if they do. Referees don't like to see shot blockers moving toward the shooter on the jump.

I haven't seen many charges called on jump shooter, mainly on players driving to the hoop with their heads down.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Ehh, that may be a stretch. Shayok had more to his game in my opinion. He had more to his dribble and was quicker of creating his own shot. Hinson seems to thrive off of a catch and shoot a little more than creating his own shot like Shayok could do. At least that's what I gathered mostly from the highlights above. Either that, or they didn't do a great job of showcasing all of Hinson's strengths.
If you go to the first page of this thread, I posted a highlight video that shows more than just catching and shooting!

Reactions: aauummm

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I just came across the free CycloneReport article and Seals speculated that Javian could be playing PG or at least a Point-Foward role in the offense.
While I realize it seems a bit out of the box, we've heard that narrative throughout the off season from the media. The staff must be seriously considering it and would make sense with Prohm targeting a player like Hinson (Smith) to play PF freeing up JJ rather than focused on true point guard. Though I do think Harris could be the answer there too.

https://iowastate.rivals.com/news/i...o-mix-in-ole-miss-double-figure-scorer-hinson

"If that waiver is approved, he would provide some immediate scoring from all areas of the floor. He shot 40-percent from the field and made 91-of-273 3-pointers during his time in Oxford.

I-State will return a pair of veterans in the post next season in senior Solomon Young and junior George Conditt, so if eligible, Hinson could be utilized more on the wing. Another transfer, Javan Johnson, is listed as a forward but could see time at point guard. Guards Tre Jackson and Rasir Bolton also return to the mix."

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Surprised by this. Didn’t hear any rumors of Iowa State being seriously in the mix for Hinson.
Literally none of us did. LJ Figueroa going to Oregon helped us land Hinson. Heard Blake was going to choose between us and Oregon and we became the choice.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
EbSg-veXYAUwsZR

(from WRNL Twitter)

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Interesting.. The first couple minutes are him taking nothing but pull up jumpers.

Haha, I'll admit I changed windows to work on something and thought I finished the video. Glad they did show 30-45 seconds of him taking guys to the hole. Definitely excited for him. This guy has more power than Shayok, so I still view him differently. Shayok was more finesse, this guy seems like he wants to run you over with his energy. It's someone we DESPERATELY need on this team.

Reactions: isutrevman

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Haha, I'll admit I changed windows to work on something and thought I finished the video. Glad they did show 30-45 seconds of him taking guys to the hole. Definitely excited for him. This guy has more power than Shayok, so I still view him differently. Shayok was more finesse, this guy seems like he wants to run you over with his energy. It's someone we DESPERATELY need on this team.
Yeah I said he's sort of a mix between Shayok and Nader.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron