****Official Class of 2021 Recruiting Thread****

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

these two have to be better than some of the SE recruits the staff will spend lots of time on.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
New Interest, Will Tschetter from MN.

"Will Tschetter, despite being one of the Midwest’s top players, didn’t hold a high-major offer until last month when he landed himself a handful.

The 6-foot-8 forward landed offers from Minnesota, Michigan, and Nebraska all on the same day, now other high-major programs follow suit.

“Stanford and Iowa State have started to contact me,” he told Stockrisers.com.

Tschetter, who averaged 34 points and 10 rebounds last season, also recently landed another offer, this time from Virginia Tech’s Mike Young of the ACC.
How does Tschetter describe his game:

“I consider myself a stretch-four. I absolutely love to bang in the paint but I also love to shoot from the outside. My ball handling is what I have worked hardest at, this year I was able to drive to the rim or pull up.”
https://stockrisers.com/2020/06/09/2021s-will-tschetter-breaks-down-his-recruitment/
https://247sports.com/player/will-tschetter-46101000/

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
these two have to be better than some of the SE recruits the staff will spend lots of time on.

I am sure they are but the only way T.DeVries ends up at ISU is if Dad replaces Prohm next spring (and if Prohm doesn't make the NCAAs next season, I would be good with that).

Regarding Sandfort, I am assuming there is no interest from either party as long as Prohm is HC but that would certainly change if Tucker's Dad replaces Prohm.

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle

"Will Tschetter, despite being one of the Midwest’s top players, didn’t hold a high-major offer until last month when he landed himself a handful.

The 6-foot-8 forward landed offers from Minnesota, Michigan, and Nebraska all on the same day, now other high-major programs follow suit.

Tschetter, who averaged 34 points and 10 rebounds last season, also recently landed another offer, this time from Virginia Tech’s Mike Young of the ACC.

“I consider myself a stretch-four. I absolutely love to bang in the paint but I also love to shoot from the outside. My ball handling is what I have worked hardest at, this year I was able to drive to the rim or pull up.”
https://stockrisers.com/2020/06/09/2021s-will-tschetter-breaks-down-his-recruitment/
We almost snuck him in to UNI.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA

He is only 30 minutes from Austin. He and Both Gach can carpool home. Bring 'em both in!

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
El Ellis top 8 coming June 12.

This news bodes well for ISU making the first cut IMO.

@jakeweingarten Iowa State’s Steve Prohm and staff will virtually meet with Top-rated JUCO prospect El Ellis today, he told @Stockrisers. Cyclones have Ellis extremely high on their 2021 priority list.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

I hope Iowa doesn't get Sandfort. He's got the prototype that Fran loves tho. Type of guy that wouldn't work at ISU but will put up numbers against ISU for 3-4 years

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I hope Iowa doesn't get Sandfort. He's got the prototype that Fran loves tho. Type of guy that wouldn't work at ISU but will put up numbers against ISU for 3-4 years
If Prohm can't make a prospect like Sandfort work at ISU, then he needs to be fired.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
An unranked prospect with two P5 offers
2021 rankings are BS at this point and will be until the AAU circuit and camps re-open.

Given Prohm's recent recruiting track record outside of Foster, it is questionable he will sign any 2021 HS prospects better than Sandfort. The 2019 HS class was definitely a disaster. Sandfort is a great shooter with enough athleticism and smarts to be a B12 starter or rotation player. If Prohm thinks he isn't a good enough prospect for ISU, he's wrong. But I am guessing that Sandfort has no interest in ISU as long as Prohm is HC so ISU didn't bother with an offer.

T.DeVries is a better prospect than Sandfort is but his whole recruiting process and rank is impacted by the fact that he is a lock to end up at Drake or Creighton as long as Dad remains Drake's HC.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The constant refrain of "Prohm sucks at recruiting!" coming from the exact same people who say "He should sign more goofy White guys from Iowa!" is pretty funny.

Reactions: isutrevman

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I think Prohm has a similar hit rate to most coaches. The problem is his “hits” hit too hard and go pro early. Fred’s hits were 4 year players and in addition he was able to hit on the transfer market.

We’ll see what Johnson, Harris, and JCL do for us, and maybe this time around he hits on 2-4 of the freshman too. 2 open scholarships, maybe another good transfer pops up late.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think Prohm has a similar hit rate to most coaches. The problem is his “hits” hit too hard and go pro early. Fred’s hits were 4 year players and in addition he was able to hit on the transfer market.

We’ll see what Johnson, Harris, and JCL do for us, and maybe this time around he hits on 2-4 of the freshman too. 2 open scholarships, maybe another good transfer pops up late.

There was a one-time windfall of...

-- the D-League becoming a true AAA with one team per franchise (more teams/roster spots)
-- compensation and contract stability for D-League players greatly improved
-- teams started to see their affiliate as a true developmental opportunity for players, and have put more resources and better coaching into it
-- started to manage their rosters as a 30-man concept, not a 15-man concept, with the extra 15 players of course being nearby in the D-League
-- generally relocated their D-League team to be closer to the mothership, even if that means playing in mediocre arenas without fan support... not the point... just to make that process of development, evaluation, and management simpler

...coinciding with Horton-Tucker and Wigginton being able to move on.

That option was not as present under Fred as it is now. The good news is that windfall is now saturated and the competition is stiff for those extra spots.

But for a year or two there, a wave of marginal guys... again, Wigginton and Horton-Tucker... found a nice new professional home for themselves.

If this happened five years ago, maybe guys like Morris, Niang, and Thomas would have ended up there instead of sticking it out in Ames. They could have gone as sophomores, played two years in the D-League, then broke out in the NBA. That is a much more viable and realistic path now than it was when Fred was around.

Fred never had to deal with that. Prohm might not have to much going forward. It just sucked to hit right when we had two guys it benefited greatly.

Last edited:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
The constant refrain of "Prohm sucks at recruiting!" coming from the exact same people who say "He should sign more goofy White guys from Iowa!" is pretty funny.
You might have a point here if it weren't for the fact that Prohm is a goner if he misses the NCAAs next season with another mostly unproductive class of incoming HS and transfer recruits. As of now, it's not looking good for him with the current projected roster. The only thing that might save him is if no football is played this fall or winter.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You might have a point here if it weren't for the fact that Prohm is a goner if he misses the NCAAs next season with another mostly unproductive class of incoming HS and transfer recruits. As of now, it's not looking good for him with the current projected roster. The only thing that might save him is if no football is played this fall or winter.

Well, we do agree that if the next class is a complete bust, then Prohm is a goner. I just think that is far less likely given the recruiting rankings, physical profiles, and pedigrees of the incoming one compared to the one before that.

I do think Prohm has two years, though. The money to ditch him after this year is not going to be easy to find, and if the incoming class shows promise, he has an argument for one more chance with Bolton and Conditt as seniors to fix it.