A. D. Salaries

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://bluegoldnews.com/west-virgi...s-whos-on-top-whos-getting-it-done-in-big-12/

Quick. Which FBS conference has the highest average pay for its athletic directors?

If you said the SEC — a logical assumption — prepare for a bit of surprise. According to Athletic Director U, which covers all things in the administration of collegiate athletics, it’s the Big 12.

The average pay for a Big 12 athletic director including bonuses, according to data compiled by USA Today and analyzed by ADU, is $1.3 million. The Big 10 is second at $1.1 million, the ACC third at $1.033 million, followed by the SEC at $1.03 million.

The numbers used here do not include any of the self-imposed decreases taken by many administrators due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Big 12, in achieving its top average, is unsurprisingly boosted by the presence of Texas’ Chris Del Conte ($2,3000,000) and Oklahoma’s Joe Castiglione ($1,733,333). The shocker, though, is Texas Tech’s Kirby Hocutt, who stands fourth nationally at $1,850,000 per year. All three of the Big 12 top earners make more than any SEC AD.

Two more Big 12 ADs top the seven-figure mark: Baylor’s Mack Rhoades ($1,554,897 – 9th nationally) and Kansas’ Jeff Long ($1,500,000 – 11th). That gives the Big 12 five of the 25 ADs in the nation which make more than $1 million per year.

The rest of the Big 12 includes Mike Holder (Oklahoma State – $950,000 – 28th), Jeremiah Donati (TCU – $938,473 – 29th), Jamie Pollard (Iowa State ($903,000 – 32nd) Shane Lyons (WVU – $870,000 – 39th) and Gene Taylor (Kansas State – $650,000 – 59th).

Here’s one view on which Big 12 schools are getting the best return on their investment. There are many factors involved in this decidedly subjective look, which also includes time in the current job and the ability to hire and retain top tier coaches:

Top Tier: Joe Castiglione (Oklahoma), Shane Lyons (WVU), Mack Rhoades (Baylor), Mike Holder (Oklahoma State), Jamie Pollard (Iowa State)

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The top 3 makin more than the SEC is a little surprising but once the SEC gets their new TV deal it wont be like that. CBS has had a bargain of a contract.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Baylor A.D. makes 1.5 million and still can't figure out how to get butts in seats despite ridiculous recent success in both major sports.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
It would be interesting to compare the SEC AD's tenure compared to the Big 12. Guessing they go through more athletic directors if they don't start winning in football.

Showtimeljs

Jul 2, 2015
Huxley
Baylor A.D. makes 1.5 million and still can't figure out how to get butts in seats despite ridiculous recent success in both major sports.

Probably doesn't help to have a very recent history of your football team raping people...Still the first thing I think of when I see Baylor compete in any sport.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Probably doesn't help to have a very recent history of your football team raping people...Still the first thing I think of when I see Baylor compete in any sport.

Yeah I always called it "Rape-U" in my head. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get laughs. It was utterly disgusting what they let go on there and they should have had the death penalty for a couple years and kicked out of the Big 12.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
This only deals with contracted payments. Surely the SEC is #1 in under the table payments.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
I wonder how the salaries of CEO’s of actual companies with similar size and budget of athletic departments compare to AD salaries.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I wonder how the salaries of CEO’s of actual companies with similar size and budget of athletic departments compare to AD salaries.

$100 million is a moderate-sized business. There are many in Iowa. The City of Ames has a budget well in excess of $100 million. Your city manager makes $200 thousand/year. CEOs of similar-sized businesses would likely be in or somewhat above that range but nothing like Pollard makes.

Last edited:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Likely much lower salary, but higher overall comp package with stock options and performance incentives.

When you hear about some CEO making a gazillion dollars, typically it is because he increased the stock price and market value of the company by even more gazillions and was given shares.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Likely much lower salary, but higher overall comp package with stock options and performance incentives.

When you hear about some CEO making a gazillion dollars, typically it is because he increased the stock price and market value of the company by even more gazillions and was given shares.

That's a false narrative. Managers running $100 million businesses are not getting stock options like say the CEOs of Apple or Chevron. That may play well in progressive DNA, but it's for the most part not true.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
That’s a lot of money for Baylor AD. But considering all the extra work the individual has in that position to manage under the table money, cover up scandal, etc. maybe it’s actually a reasonable amount.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
The McDermott and Chizik hires really drag down JP’s grade.
Both were homerun hires on paper. Hoiberg was the opposite, appeared to be a desperate attempt to make the fanbase have hope in ISU basketball again. All three were examples of how the opposite of expectations happened through their tenures.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Both were homerun hires on paper. Hoiberg was the opposite, appeared to be a desperate attempt to make the fanbase have hope in ISU basketball again. All three were examples of how the opposite of expectations happened through their tenures.
I also seem to remember some skepticism when Campbell started bringing his entire Toledo staff with him too.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron