Justin Smith

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah something was wrong between the ears I think. Confidence issues possibly... lack of work ethic possibly... soft competitive edge... lots of speculations

Whenever I hear the phrase “going out in a blaze of glory” I think of TLew’s flex at the end of that OSU game

Reactions: CloneIce

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Whenever I hear the phrase “going out in a blaze of glory” I think of TLew’s flex at the end of that OSU game

It was a meaningless game. The game the next day was going to end up cancelled anyways, so we were not even playing for our tournament lives.

upload_2020-5-28_21-14-28.png

Everything great and terrible about Terrence Lewis all at once. The win expectation model is absolutely hilarious over those last 15 seconds...

upload_2020-5-28_21-15-13.png

OSU @ 73.7% before the dunk
OSU @ 31.0% after the dunk
OSU @ 78.2% after the made shot

It looks like a seismograph picking up an 8.0 at the end there.

...then kaput.

I will never forget that preposterous sequence. I cannot remember many more hotly contested of games that were ultimately about absolutely nothing.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
SIAP:

ESPN's Jeff Borzello says Smith has been contacted by a pretty significant list of suitors:

He’s been contacted by at least 20 schools, including Arkansas, Mississippi State, Purdue, Notre Dame, Oregon, Maryland, Arizona State, North Carolina State, Xavier, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Iowa State, Northwestern, Georgetown, DePaul, and Boston College among others.

Me, not J. Borzello: Yikes. I wonder what our odds could be?

Probably shorter than Smiths list as a grad transfer and we're right in the thick of it

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
It was a meaningless game. The game the next day was going to end up cancelled anyways, so we were not even playing for our tournament lives.

View attachment 72240

Everything great and terrible about Terrence Lewis all at once. The win expectation model is absolutely hilarious over those last 15 seconds...

View attachment 72241

OSU @ 73.7% before the dunk
OSU @ 31.0% after the dunk
OSU @ 78.2% after the made shot

It looks like a seismograph picking up an 8.0 at the end there.

...then kaput.

I will never forget that preposterous sequence. I cannot remember many more hotly contested of games that were ultimately about absolutely nothing.

It means nothing now, however....IF we could have won that game, we could have laid claim to being defending Big XII tourney champions for another year. Hard to do that when our last game played was a loss. :-(

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
you know, it really comes down to opinion at the end of the day. If more people share a similar opinion, then that tends to win out. Just do a quick search for ‘blue blood college basketball programs’ or ‘most successful college basketball programs of all time’ and IU is almost always listed. Here is bleacher report’s list. We could debate this all day, as I’m sure happens all the time among hoops fans. Neither opinion is likely to change though.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1306617-college-basketballs-10-greatest-programs-of-all-time

Linking an 8 year old article from Bleacher Report is a bold move

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
you know, it really comes down to opinion at the end of the day. If more people share a similar opinion, then that tends to win out. Just do a quick search for ‘blue blood college basketball programs’ or ‘most successful college basketball programs of all time’ and IU is almost always listed. Here is bleacher report’s list. We could debate this all day, as I’m sure happens all the time among hoops fans. Neither opinion is likely to change though.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1306617-college-basketballs-10-greatest-programs-of-all-time

I've always said it's better to be a has been than a never was.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Indiana is a blue blood like UCLA is. Both have a great history, but recent history has been pretty 'meh'.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Indiana is a blue blood like UCLA is. Both have a great history, but recent history has been pretty 'meh'.

i agree with this. Never said IU was killing it now. Hopefully will reclaim status in the future, but outside of the Oladipo/Zeller/Ferrell teams, they have been a disappointment

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

I absolutely agree with this. But at some point an average to mediocre recent history catches up with you as the people who remember the glory days die off.

I think most people 20 years ago would’ve considered Nebraska a CFB blue blood, and you can argue they still have a blue blood fan base and financial backing. But they’re reaching the point where recruits and younger fans only remember them as an average to decent program rather than a national power. They have a great history, but their brand has diminished significantly. I can argue Indiana basketball is going down the same path.

UCLA Basketball is the tough one for me. Their recent history has been mediocre, but they still own the most dominant stretch in CBB history that no one will probably ever come close to.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I'm surprised the rap video made by the Indiana students didn't get posted.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

thow-program-in-trash-gif.gif

Reactions: JBone84

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I am almost 30 and Indiana hasn't really been relevant in basketball in my life time. At some point it's just another team and just another gym.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Who would of thunk when Bob Knight gave us the, "if rape is inevitable " line he was talking about Indiana basketball?

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
When are we gonna hear more info on his recruitment? I’m seeing a lot of Illinois and Purdue but no ISU. What is it with B1G transfers and staying in conference?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
That was such an appropriate way to put a bow on T-Lew's ISU career. It just perfectly summarized the entire journey. Flash of excellence ultimately shadowed by cloud of atrociousness

Reactions: CycloneErik

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron