Justin Smith

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I understand looking at something a bit different than the masses. Not necessarily wrong just different. I will say I feel like the 4 incoming freshmen replaced the departing seniors and the two open schollies where the spring transfers are replacing the other spring departures.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
IMO Justin Smith would be a huge get for ISU. He means more incremental wins than Harris or Coleman-Lands.

Not only because Smith is a solid player, but his defense and rebounding make ISU a better road team. Jump shooting is great in Hilton. But if the Cyclones are going to be a near .500 team in Big 12 play then being a solid defensive and rebounding team are critical.

Smith gives ISU lineup flexibility. He could play the 3, 4 or 5 positions. We could go:
  • Harris, Coleman-Lands, Bolton, Johnson & Smith
  • Harris/Coleman-Lands, Bolton, Johnson, Smith & Young/Conditt
  • Bolton, Johnson, Smith, Foster/Young & Conditt

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I’d love both Smith and Gach obviously, I’m just wondering Prohms plan at PG(where I trust him)? Does he think Harris will be eligible and the answer? Jackson? Bolton(least likely just because he’s best off the ball)? JCL? Or Johnson as Point Forward where things could be interesting and Bolton could be the “1”

This hinges on JJ playing Point, which Prohm hinted at but doesn’t mean it will happen...

Bolton-JCL-Johnson-Smith-Young

Personally I’d like Conditt or Foster more at the 5 based on size and potential, but as of “now”, Young is better.

Reactions: Statefan10

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I’d love both Smith and Gach obviously, I’m just wondering Prohms plan at PG(where I trust him)? Does he think Harris will be eligible and the answer? Jackson? Bolton(least likely just because he’s best off the ball)? JCL? Or Johnson as Point Forward where things could be interesting and Bolton could be the “1”

This hinges on JJ playing Point, which Prohm hinted at but doesn’t mean it will happen...

Bolton-JCL-Johnson-Smith-Young

Personally I’d like Conditt or Foster more at the 5 based on size and potential, but as of “now”, Young is better.
Yes

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA
The only guys we had to play 3-4 last year were either --

too small, out of position, better as a 1-2 (e.g., Bolton and Jackson)
too slow, out of position, better as a 5 (e.g., Jacobson and Conditt)
just not very good at this level of ball (e.g., Lewis and Griffin)

I hope we have some guys for those spots who are natural there and talented enough to at least be viable Big 12 players there for the next season.

Losing Tyrese is going to hurt. No doubt. We take a step back at the 1.

But if we take a step forward everywhere else, and pretty huge steps at the 3-4 and with our bench guys, then maybe we can make up for it.

A team without athletic, rangy, and 3&D wings is just asking for it in 2020.
If Lewis could've figured out how to play defense he would've been a good one.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If Lewis could've figured out how to play defense he would've been a good one.
It wasn't just his defense, however that was the easiest to point out during games. He just rarely knew what he was supposed to be doing when he was on the floor.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It wasn't just his defense, however that was the easiest to point out during games. He just rarely knew what he was supposed to be doing when he was on the floor.

Not knowing what you're doing hurts you way more on defense, though.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Yeah something was wrong between the ears I think. Confidence issues possibly... lack of work ethic possibly... soft competitive edge... lots of speculations

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Gonna be pretty embarassing if we arent on Smith's short list. I hope some of those more in the know would squash this thread if we arent sitting really nice with him. His recruitment so far has been pretty quiet.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Gonna be pretty embarassing if we arent on Smith's short list. I hope some of those more in the know would squash this thread if we arent sitting really nice with him. His recruitment so far has been pretty quiet.

Why is it embarassing? This is a fan message board and IMO optimism is never a bad thing. Plus we are just speculating the posibilities. If Smith doesn't have ISU on his short list, then bring on the next recruit!!

If anything the discussion is a good thing. Recruits and their families read message boards, so discussing a prospective player is something player & families would find positive when fans are being positive.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The other part of bringing in Smith it will once again give us a guy that's fought the battles in a power conference and can pass that on to guys like Blackwell, Dubar and probably even Johnson.

Reactions: isutrevman

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
It’s very strange that people in this site argue that a guy that averaged 10 points a year at Indiana is a no go but are telling some of ya how a transfer who sat out is going to be so good.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
It’s very strange that people in this site argue that a guy that averaged 10 points a year at Indiana is a no go but are telling some of ya how a transfer who sat out is going to be so good.

Really, from what I've read even the Prohm haters like this possibility.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006

Welcome to CF...first time here? I recommend the irony with a side of hypocrisy. Then wash it down with a refreshing mug of contradiction. Don't cost nothin'!

Reactions: Drew0311

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
SIAP:

ESPN's Jeff Borzello says Smith has been contacted by a pretty significant list of suitors:

He’s been contacted by at least 20 schools, including Arkansas, Mississippi State, Purdue, Notre Dame, Oregon, Maryland, Arizona State, North Carolina State, Xavier, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Iowa State, Northwestern, Georgetown, DePaul, and Boston College among others.

Me, not J. Borzello: Yikes. I wonder what our odds could be?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I am admittedly an IU fan, so I do have bias here. However, 5 National Championships would argue against your stance. I don’t care that the last one was 1987.

Minnesota football has 7 national championships. Do you consider them a CFB blue blood?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron