HS BB & SB

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Seems like a lot of work and speculation to do this right. Just cancel and avoid the craziness. Back when I was a kid all we had to do in the summer was swim in a pond and ride bikes around town. I think the kids will survive.

It doesn’t even sound like fun with all these proposed measures.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Seems like a lot of work and speculation to do this right. Just cancel and avoid the craziness. Back when I was a kid all we had to do in the summer was swim in a pond and ride bikes around town. I think the kids will survive.

I'd have played baseball no problem in this environment. Wouldn't even have thought twice about it. Spend the afternoon at BP hitting/fielding and throwing a side bullpen session? Hell, I think I'd do that to this day (and need Tommy John surgery after the bullpen session).

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City

I don’t know if it’s really all about fun for a lot of people. Recruiting wise not playing games would screw over a lot of kids

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
How many kids out of all the teams are getting recruited?

Let's say 1-2 per team on average. They want to be seen by college coaches and, even more important, they want to work on their craft and get better. What should those kids do?

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa

I know, right? But these kids get 3,4, maybe 5/maybe 1 chance to do this in their life (for a vast majority).

For some, it might be the other thing they do. And, if they aren't comfortable, then just don't do it.

But, for some, it is what they do; hours hitting and throwing and blocking and fielding and pitching that need to be tested in game situations. And, unlike College SB, you can't get a year back. So, what do you do? It will be a little different, but the boys or girls who love BB/SB will take it in a heartbeat.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Let's say 1-2 per team on average. They want to be seen by college coaches and, even more important, they want to work on their craft and get better. What should those kids do?

It’s a pandemic. It’s not like some entity just said, “you can’t play HS sports because we don’t feel like letting you”. If they are good enough the scouts will find them.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

I ran into an old friend Saturday that is the AD at a 3A school, I asked him about the whole thing, and he said that they want to have a BB/SB season so they can work out any kinks in the system making it easier for football this fall.
He said that they will be playing only 14 softball games, no concession stand, no ticket takers. Its basically a test run for football season and what they will need to change to have one in the fall.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
It’s a pandemic. It’s not like some entity just said, “you can’t play HS sports because we don’t feel like letting you”. If they are good enough the scouts will find them.

I get your point. But camps are also cancelled - so how to be 'found'. To be fair, you're not wrong. Recruiting is delayed and girls should, at some point, get a chance to be seen.

But, how do you keep getting better in isolation? Hitting off a tee in your basement only gets you so far. Trying to take grounders in the back yard only goes so far. At some point, you need fields and other players to really make progress and then games to really test where you are at.

(Yes, I am avoiding the 'it's a pandemic' point because that discussion (when do we open) probably belongs in the cave)

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I get your point. But camps are also cancelled - so how to be 'found'. To be fair, you're not wrong. Recruiting is delayed and girls should, at some point, get a chance to be seen.

But, how do you keep getting better in isolation? Hitting off a tee in your basement only gets you so far. Trying to take grounders in the back yard only goes so far. At some point, you need fields and other players to really make progress and then games to really test where you are at.

(Yes, I am avoiding the 'it's a pandemic' point because that discussion (when do we open) probably belongs in the cave)

Bottom line is that it sucks for the kids but that’s life. Figure it out. Use it as fuel to get your body in the best shape ever, learn or try something new that can sharpen your mind so when everything comes back you’re at the top of your physical and mental powers.

One of the best things I ever did for my basketball game in HS was become a hard core ping pong player. Like every day for at least an hour and usually more playing against the table or against a friend. Even After coming off a summer with 5 b-ball camps I still felt like the ping pong was what was sharpening me especially on defense and shooting free throws.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Bottom line is that it sucks for the kids but that’s life. Figure it out. Use it as fuel to get your body in the best shape ever, learn or try something new that can sharpen your mind so when everything comes back you’re at the top of your physical and mental powers.

One of the best things I ever did for my basketball game in HS was become a hard core ping pong player. Like every day for at least an hour and usually more playing against the table or against a friend. Even After coming off a summer with 5 b-ball camps I still felt like the ping pong was what was sharpening me especially on defense and shooting free throws.

I have a really hard time understanding how playing ping pong made you a better free throw shooter, but I'll have to take your word for it. Maybe I'll teach her ping pong to see if that helps her 200 time or her batting average or her pop time.

You not wrong that life sometimes sucks - my daughter missed her track season after working hard and having some expectations for success. We didn't shy away from that, accepted it and moved on.

If they said no season, she would have accepted it. I haven't been out advocating for a season. But if she has the opportunity to play, she definitely will. That is part of the choice we have, if you are ok with the current circumstances, join in and move on. If not, feel free to continue to SIP. My family has discussed it and are OK with it. AND, knowing that she will probably be more 'exposed' than anyone else on the team.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Of interest, DM Register just posted that DM schools are cleared to play BB/SB.

Reactions: BigD

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I have a really hard time understanding how playing ping pong made you a better free throw shooter, but I'll have to take your word for it. Maybe I'll teach her ping pong to see if that helps her 200 time or her batting average or her pop time.

You not wrong that life sometimes sucks - my daughter missed her track season after working hard and having some expectations for success. We didn't shy away from that, accepted it and moved on.

If they said no season, she would have accepted it. I haven't been out advocating for a season. But if she has the opportunity to play, she definitely will. That is part of the choice we have, if you are ok with the current circumstances, join in and move on. If not, feel free to continue to SIP. My family has discussed it and are OK with it. AND, knowing that she will probably be more 'exposed' than anyone else on the team.

When I was missing free throws I was tensing up and it would throw off my touch. Same as in ping pong. You start gripping and your touch goes to **** and you can’t return a ball on table. Ping pong would be even more useful for Baseball/softball imo for the same reason plus the hand eye coordination similarities between the sports.

Reactions: agcy68

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City

In my experience, the scouts don’t necessarily find you. A lot of it is reaching out to schools and they want to be able to see you or at least have your stats. I completely understand your point but it’s a very complicated thing

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
When I was missing free throws I was tensing up and it would throw off my touch. Same as in ping pong. You start gripping and your touch goes to **** and you can’t return a ball on table. Ping pong would be even more useful for Baseball/softball imo for the same reason plus the hand eye coordination similarities between the sports.

forrestgump.jpg

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
As a parent of a HS varsity ballplayer directly affected by this, I for one am glad @Gunnerclone is not anywhere close to being a decision-maker (or even influencer) on these matters.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
As a parent of a HS varsity ballplayer directly affected by this, I for one am glad @Gunnerclone is not anywhere close to being a decision-maker (or even influencer) on these matters.

As a parent myself and also the uncle of a teenager that got super sick from COVID and wouldn’t be able to play anything this summer if their school played summer sports, I hope it’s worth it.

Reactions: clone2003

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I agree with Saymyname... I know we are in a pandemic. Shelter in place the vulnerable. We flattened the curve. There may or may not be a vaccine. Life goes on.

Let the kids have sports. With technology, most of these games can be facebook live or twitter or youtube. Give the kids something to work for. Let them see their friends. Let them learn how to be competitive and not some zombie in front of the tv, tablet, or video game.

A lot of these kids practice year round. Reward them. Don't lock them in. This can be done in a responsible and safe manner.

Reactions: Lyon309Cy