What is your business idea?

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
That could be anything. Valuation, Revenue, Market cap, Assets, Profit etc. Were you a Co-Founder? Owner? C-Suite? It means nothing. What percentage did you leave with? Was it a buyback? Why did you leave if it was so successful? There's so many questions that raise flags. Especially in the startup culture environment, I always assume the least impressive. It's like me measuring myself in centimeters vs inches and hoping you're more impressed by the bigger number. I can say something like "I had an exit with a $82 Billion Dollar company" and it's because I quit my job.

Your advice flips back and forth from starting a start up to starting a business which have distinct differences. In my opinion, it's dangerous to not set the right tone to budding entrepreneurs like @throwittoblythe and it would set them up for failure long term. Then the advice you give is very basic like "do your research", "ask friends", "call people to get pricing".

You set yourself up as an expert in creating businesses and then when a specific question gets asked, you tell them to go somewhere else. In fact you tell them not to even do it legally.
I am simply stating what I would do.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
That could be anything. Valuation, Revenue, Market cap, Assets, Profit etc. Were you a Co-Founder? Owner? C-Suite? It means nothing. What percentage did you leave with? Was it a buyback? Why did you leave if it was so successful? There's so many questions that raise flags. Especially in the startup culture environment, I always assume the least impressive. It's like me measuring myself in centimeters vs inches and hoping you're more impressed by the bigger number. I can say something like "I had an exit with a $82 Billion Dollar company" and it's because I quit my job.

Your advice flips back and forth from starting a start up to starting a business which have distinct differences. In my opinion, it's dangerous to not set the right tone to budding entrepreneurs like @throwittoblythe and it would set them up for failure long term. Then the advice you give is very basic like "do your research", "ask friends", "call people to get pricing".

You set yourself up as an expert in creating businesses and then when a specific question gets asked, you tell them to go somewhere else. In fact you tell them not to even do it legally.

This guy makes me wonder if CNBC is no longer showing back episodes of Shark Tank, so he started a thread to keep himself amused with business ideas.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Whenever Mrs. Gaggi sends me down to Kum and Go for a replacement propane tank for the grill, I think of how great it would be if there was a truck to pull up and swap out the tank for me. Same with the two-gallon gas can. It's dangerous to tote one of those around in the trunk of the Jag. Wouldn't it be nice to have a guy drop off a full can and take the old one back?

Obviously there would be some safety and liability issues to contend with, but I think it is a solution to a common problem for most homeowners like myself.

Slip the neighbor boy a fiver and he will probably go get it for you.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If you are looking at warehousing, you can start by being the middle man. Been a few years since I dealt with them but they would charge me something like four bucks to put it on the rack, 2 bucks to take it off the rack and around 3 bucks a month for storage. Get some pallets and like yourself up with a warehouse. In that sense, charge them 20 bucks to hold it and maybe a five dollar pick/delivery fee (total not each way) and then build up some cash to start running your own. The beauty of the using the warehouse is that they would be carrying insurance and such incase something happened and you would be needing to just worry about while you transported it.

Propane delivery, ouch, don't mess with that on that size of scale. To tell you the thin margins, I get a penny discount for locking down 5000 gallons at a time. The insurance and the upkeep would eat you alive, have one leak and you have a mess on your hands. Reason you have upkeep? Who do you think DOT pulls over more than anybody, haz mat, and they will pull that creeper out and start stacking those tickets if you don't have the right license or insurance.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
I have always done an equal equity split with cofounders. Here is my logic:

Every time I partner with someone, I ask myself "Does this person deserve and EQUAL SHARE in my dream?". The answer is only yes if they have the three A's.
Attitude - Are they gung-ho and focused on the mission?
Aptitude - Do they have top tier skills?
Action-Oriented - Do they get SH!T done?

I like being a leader; I hate being a baby sitter. The unequal split gives a weird power dynamic in my business relationships. I'm not your master and I am not your boss. I picked you because you could do something that I am not capable of. If you can't figure out what to do by yourself, shame on me for partnering with you.

HOWEVER, if the company is up and running and we bring on another partner, that's usually a smaller split since the hard part (getting the project off the ground) is done
I know you said in an earlier post you could not work with your wife, however for those who do/could, may want to make their wife a 51% owner. Depending on the industry or target customer, being a woman owned business may give added perks or opportunities.
The same goes for anyone that falls under a minority status. Making them the 51% owner could be beneficial.

Reactions: Ryan4069

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I know you said in an earlier post you could not work with your wife, however for those who do/could, may want to make their wife a 51% owner. Depending on the industry or target customer, being a woman owned business may give added perks or opportunities.
The same goes for anyone that falls under a minority status. Making them the 51% owner could be beneficial.

In the business world, women are considered minorities. When I was a loan officer, there were several couples who came in and when learning that the current interest rate would be 8% for the husband or we could get them a 0-2% rate along with getting start up grants if the business was in the wife's name, they would switch it over quickly.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
In the business world, women are considered minorities. When I was a loan officer, there were several couples who came in and when learning that the current interest rate would be 8% for the husband or we could get them a 0-2% rate along with getting start up grants if the business was in the wife's name, they would switch it over quickly.
As BC said, there are absolutely benefits to having a woman being the majority owner of the company. It is definitely something you can market and will get your company into a lot of rooms and conferences that you wouldn't have been able to get in as a man.

If you are going in business with your wife, I would definitely do that; however, I would recommend against dragging your wife into a business she's not passionate about for the sake of calling your business "Women-led". The founders should have an unyielding passion for what they are doing. If your wife/partner is gung ho about the mission, definitely go with that equity split for the perks.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
As BC said, there are absolutely benefits to having a woman being the majority owner of the company. It is definitely something you can market and will get your company into a lot of rooms and conferences that you wouldn't have been able to get in as a man.

If you are going in business with your wife, I would definitely do that; however, I would recommend against dragging your wife into a business she's not passionate about for the sake of calling your business "Women-led". The founders should have an unyielding passion for what they are doing. If your wife/partner is gung ho about the mission, definitely go with that equity split for the perks.

Doesn't really matter if your wife is gung ho or not, she just needs to be the owner. I've seen several of these where the wife owns but the husband is the manager. Shoot, when my dad passed away, my mom owned the farm, but I took care of all the decisions. She had trust in me and didn't want to make those decisions. If the wife is not interested, just have her be a silent owner.

Lamoni

Jan 11, 2017
Hand-crafting baseball bats and bringing old leather gloves back to life.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Doesn't really matter if your wife is gung ho or not, she just needs to be the owner. I've seen several of these where the wife owns but the husband is the manager. Shoot, when my dad passed away, my mom owned the farm, but I took care of all the decisions. She had trust in me and didn't want to make those decisions. If the wife is not interested, just have her be a silent owner.

In the construction/engineering world, there are tons of incentives (and requirements) to have minority-owned businesses take part in projects. I've seen very good and very bad sides of this. Most recently, we worked with a woman-owned business that was in name only. The wife and husband came to all meetings, the husband did all the talking and the wife completely checked out once she arrived. However, they got to bill for both their time and we needed credit toward our minority goal for the project.

This type of arrangement is not all that uncommon in my industry. It usually goes: husband works as a project manager in construction for 25-30 years, gains all the knowledge/relationships needed to run a business. He then retires from his employer and starts his own business with his wife as the 51% owner. He can now do the same job as before, but as a minority owned business.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
In the construction/engineering world, there are tons of incentives (and requirements) to have minority-owned businesses take part in projects. I've seen very good and very bad sides of this. Most recently, we worked with a woman-owned business that was in name only. The wife and husband came to all meetings, the husband did all the talking and the wife completely checked out once she arrived. However, they got to bill for both their time and we needed credit toward our minority goal for the project.

This type of arrangement is not all that uncommon in my industry. It usually goes: husband works as a project manager in construction for 25-30 years, gains all the knowledge/relationships needed to run a business. He then retires from his employer and starts his own business with his wife as the 51% owner. He can now do the same job as before, but as a minority owned business.

Yeah, I saw that with plumbing businesses, a junk yard and a few others. I know one business that has used it to make a killing and actually ran an older gentleman out of business because she was getting so much government money and lower interest rates that she could lowball the projects until he quit and then jacked things up to where he was before she started.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron