HS BB & SB

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
There's not going to be a vaccine.

If there is one, it won't prevent all people from getting a corona virus.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What's the criteria to be "safe"? Zero risk of transmission? Then you may never play a baseball game again.

I view high school outdoor sports as having small transmission risks, and if the virus is transmitted, it will be to a small number of people. Have the players ride with their parents or drive themselves to games if you want to avoid bus rides. Or don't share seats and keep a few windows down to keep good air flow. Folding chairs are only used by the person that brought them so I don't see an issue. If you sit in the bleachers, stay in the same spot and don't sit elbow to elbow with someone else. Very small risk of transmission.

I agree that in Iowa, in that heat, in the summer, people will have no problem staying far from one another.

But contrast to the bolded, what is considered 'unsafe'? I.e. how many cases need to pop up before they call it?

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I agree that in Iowa, in that heat, in the summer, people will have no problem staying far from one another.

But contrast to the bolded, what is considered 'unsafe'? I.e. how many cases need to pop up before they call it?
If the medical system is overrun with hospitalizations. That was the reason we attempted to "flatten the curve".

Reactions: Lyon309Cy

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
If one player is diagnosed with covid19, then entire team is quarantined for 14 days?

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
If one player is diagnosed with covid19, then entire team is quarantined for 14 days?

That isn't being done at any level of sports now so I don't know why Iowa HS BB/SB would require that. The infected player would be quarantined and there would be testing of those in contact.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
Our little league cancelled the season, so yeah I am a little surprised.

little league here in KC starts games next week and we have a tournament starting this Friday.

Only 3 players in the dugout at a time 6 ft apart. There are no bleaches so fans bring their own chairs. The umpire calls balls/strikes from behind the pitcher and will not touch the ball. Each team needs to bring disinfectant wipes to use between innings.

I can’t remember what other measures are being put in place but it will be interesting to see how it goes.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
little league here in KC starts games next week and we have a tournament starting this Friday.

Only 3 players in the dugout at a time 6 ft apart. There are no bleaches so fans bring their own chairs. The umpire calls balls/strikes from behind the pitcher and will not touch the ball. Each team needs to bring disinfectant wipes to use between innings.

I can’t remember what other measures are being put in place but it will be interesting to see how it goes.

we’re not too far behind with the Des Moines little league and softball leagues.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Part of me is a little bummed, because this was going to be the last season I coach my middle kid. I don't feel comfortable coaching beyond this age group. But I get it as coordinating it for what would likely be an extremely short season would be a lot of work for not much payoff. Kind of bums me out because baseball isn't my kids' favorite sport, and with taking a year off, I could see it being a chore to get them to go out next year.