Metcalf Possibly Leaving?

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Thanks for that. I missed that and stand corrected. I personally think this is a massive mistake and we should be actively courting top talent to come to Ames.

I think its a good thing to push for in-house guys because donors will have some sort of relationship and may be more willing to pay to keep them around after college. But yeah I agree they should always be actively looking to bring in anyone that can help elevate the program.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
This is same goal Iowa and PSU have with their RTC. That doesn’t mean every member of the RTC will be home grown. Read between the lines. What Dresser is stating is he envisioning ISU producing enough top athletes to fill the CRTC with it’s own athletes. He is trying to raise the cash for the CRTC to be sustainable and to have the money needed to keep ISU top guys in the club. I assume the club will add several Cyclones next year with Colbray, Parker, Gremmel and maybe Mackall being candidates. It would be good to have them for a year or 2 if they want to stay. Maybe one will be a pleasant surprise and be a top 3-4 type of guy.

Also, this was an Olympic cycle year. Several wrestlers were on target to either retire or change location this summer. I believe CRTC was going to be active on bringing in athletes this fall. Not sure the impact of COVID and moving the Olympics back a year will have on wrestler movement this summer but guessing movement to be low. So now they may have to wait until next summer.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
This is same goal Iowa and PSU have with their RTC. That doesn’t mean every member of the RTC will be home grown. Read between the lines. What Dresser is stating is he envisioning ISU producing enough top athletes to fill the CRTC with it’s own athletes. He is trying to raise the cash for the CRTC to be sustainable and to have the money needed to keep ISU top guys in the club. I assume the club will add several Cyclones next year with Colbray, Parker, Gremmel and maybe Mackall being candidates. It would be good to have them for a year or 2 if they want to stay. Maybe one will be a pleasant surprise and be a top 3-4 type of guy.

Also, this was an Olympic cycle year. Several wrestlers were on target to either retire or change location this summer. I believe CRTC was going to be active on bringing in athletes this fall. Not sure the impact of COVID and moving the Olympics back a year will have on wrestler movement this summer but guessing movement to be low. So now they may have to wait until next summer.
I guess it's kind of a chicken/egg thing. To me, the program is not at the point where it's producing the level of talent to sustain a RTC. If we could recruit some top international talent to train at the RTC, it would help attract younger talent with international asperations to the program. I think it's a large reason we are missing on top recruits like Facundo, Echimendia, etc. It may be easier to bring in guys like Joe Colon, Adam Coon or Jason Nolf first and then the recruits will follow. I'm just a fan though, so I'm sure there are good arguments for the opposite.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Dennis was an Olympian and was currently coaching at an RTC. Perry was a huge splash and difficult to top. Pretty rare that a guy who coached at his level in college drops it all to coach an RTC; was never a long term job. Dennis isn't the splash from a name standpoint but is a fine choice given his personality, experience and background.

BTW, a good friend of the family is on the HWC board and I have several family members who are donors. CyTwins' claims are not just false they are non-sensical. It will surprise no one that he's once again making things up, similar to his claims with the Drake basketball transfer.

And as far as funding...based on what I heard we are in no position to throw stones. CRTC fell short of 2019 fundraising goals. And now in 2020 these are tough times for all.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
BTW, a good friend of the family is on the HWC board and I have several family members who are donors. CyTwins' claims are not just false they are non-sensical. It will surprise no one that he's once again making things up, similar to his claims with the Drake basketball transfer.

I'm not making anything up. Plenty of smoke came out about both of those things I heard AFTER I said them

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I haven't seen a briefing on our RTC wrestlers for some time. How active are they, and how competitive? I know that Gadson was right there for a time, but his window must be closing. He always struck me as a person of multifaceted talent -- anyone sense of what's on his horizon?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Dennis was an Olympian and was currently coaching at an RTC. Perry was a huge splash and difficult to top. Pretty rare that a guy who coached at his level in college drops it all to coach an RTC; was never a long term job. Dennis isn't the splash from a name standpoint but is a fine choice given his personality, experience and background.

And as far as funding...based on what I heard we are in no position to throw stones. CRTC fell short of 2019 fundraising goals. And now in 2020 these are tough times for all.

Twins is an idiot.

With the continued presence of Lee, Bull, etc., at HWC they didn't need a splashy name hire. Those guys are going to do as much/more for bringing top young talent in as any new coach. DD is a great pick for many reasons, painful as that is for some to want to admit.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I'm not making anything up. Plenty of smoke came out about both of those things I heard AFTER I said them

Except that literally everyone involved says you're wrong. Every single person. Including those who have an open book look into HWC finances.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Twins is an idiot.

With the continued presence of Lee, Bull, etc., at HWC they didn't need a splashy name hire. Those guys are going to do as much/more for bringing top young talent in as any new coach. DD is a great pick for many reasons, painful as that is for some to want to admit.

Might be true, but sort of a non-event for ISU fans. Would have been true regardless of who they hired other than anyone from our staff. We have our own fight/challenges ahead. I like our team and trust they will keep making progress.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Except that literally everyone involved says you're wrong. Every single person. Including those who have an open book look into HWC finances.

You're saying HWC board members aren't admitting they're broke? I'm shocked! Lol cmon man

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
You're saying HWC board members aren't admitting they're broke? I'm shocked! Lol cmon man

Why would they admit to something that isn't true? Are you now claiming they are cooking the books? You think they are willing to go to jail over this?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Why would they admit to something that isn't true? Are you now claiming they are cooking the books? You think they are willing to go to jail over this?

They're telling you they don't have financial problems when they do. If you can't figure out the motive behind that I can't help ya

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Not publicly admitting you are broke does not equal cooking the books. So your first order of business is to learn the difference between the two. I know many businesses that would never admit publicly they are in trouble when in fact they are.

Someone can be millions in debt and run around and say they have millions in assets with no debt and they aren't going to go to jail. So it's just dumb to say "you think they are willing to go to jail over this?"

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
They're telling you they don't have financial problems when they do. If you can't figure out the motive behind that I can't help ya

They aren't telling me diddly squat. They are consistently open with donors about club finances. Your claim that they are broke over the new facility is not just false, it's also nonsensical given the U of I's halt on capital fundraising efforts across the university.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
They aren't telling me diddly squat. They are consistently open with donors about club finances. Your claim that they are broke over the new facility is not just false, it's also nonsensical given the U of I's halt on capital fundraising efforts across the university.

I'm not claiming they're broke. They are broke. But yeah they're not going to be telling their members they're broke

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Not publicly admitting you are broke does not equal cooking the books. I know many businesses that would never admit publicly they are in trouble when in fact they are.

It doesn't work that way for these clubs. They aren't normal businesses. The entire claim is non-sensical in almost every way.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Semi-related question: Kyven is technically a member of the Sunkist kids correct? But trains with us? or something along those shared lines? I am confused as to how all of that works. I am sure this has been explained to those less knowledgeable before.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I'm not claiming they're broke. They are broke. But yeah they're not going to be telling their members they're broke

Except that they don't close their books off to everyone. Again, back to my question before--is your claim that the books are cooked?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Except that they don't close their books off to everyone. Again, back to my question before--is your claim that the books are cooked?

I never made that claim. Not sure why you're getting upset with me. I was told by someone who would absolutely know they lost Gilman and Perry over money. Honestly I don't care if you believe it or not because I know the truth