Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Fine to dethatch and bag that but don’t otherwise. Keep it long. Mow to 3”, not the 1 1/2” the scalpers seem to like.

I go short, easier to find the dog poo.

I also find when it left taller it gets mashed down easier and stays mashed down.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
dethatched the yard and applied some weed and feed, have a few bare spots that need seed still later.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I have close to 0 knowledge when it comes to caring for my lawn. A friend of mine told me about Scott's Lawn app. It's actually really helpful. When u first start it gets your address and gives u a google overview of your property. You outline the area and it gives u the square footage of what u need. It then asks what you current lawn is like and what you are wanting your lawn to look like. It even gives up to date rain totals. It gives u alerts with the dates to apply each thing. For me it's been very helpful, especially for people that arent in the know about taking care of their lawns.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Who's mowing today? (DSM area)

I could today but letting the backyard dry more. Plan to mow on Tuesday and then change the oil and blade on the mower after mowing. Chop up and small twigs and get the oil nice and hot after sitting all winter before changing it out.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I got my crabgrass preventer with lawn food down on thursday night. I was finishing with a bit of rain coming down and the thunder starting. I think it is the third time in a row I've put something down and finished when the rain is starting. I call it perfect timing. :)

I also put down gypsum to try and break up the clay a little. Like most others in the metro we have lots of clay not too far under the grass. They scraped away any dirt before putting down our sod that had a thin layer of dirt attached to it.

Like someone else said, I never bag my clippings as I am trying to get organic material down as much as possible. Have any of you tried pelletized compost? Putting a little compost across my whole yard would be extremely expensive, we're on close to a half acre.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
I got my crabgrass preventer with lawn food down on thursday night. I was finishing with a bit of rain coming down and the thunder starting. I think it is the third time in a row I've put something down and finished when the rain is starting. I call it perfect timing. :)

I also put down gypsum to try and break up the clay a little. Like most others in the metro we have lots of clay not too far under the grass. They scraped away any dirt before putting down our sod that had a thin layer of dirt attached to it.

Like someone else said, I never bag my clippings as I am trying to get organic material down as much as possible. Have any of you tried pelletized compost? Putting a little compost across my whole yard would be extremely expensive, we're on close to a half acre.

Bought a new build house last June. Sod was laid in November of 2018. Very typical suburban soil - 1-2" of black topsoil followed by several inches of clay.

Aerated last fall and again this past week. I added about 10lbs/1,000 sq ft of pelletized gypsum each time. I think the aeration does more than the gypsum but I figure any little bit will help break up the clay.

The cores left after aeration are very telling - some thatch, a little black soil, then a whole lot of gray clay. Hopefully, after aerating for a few years, the soil will be in good shape and not so easy to compact.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Can you wait until Sept. 1st to seed? Do you have irrigation? If you have at least 50% grass, I'd take great care of it through the summer, including fertilizer, pre-emergent etc. and wait until September 1st to seed.
End of August is the best time. Perfect. Put grass clippings over the top and keep it wet. You will be mowing it before winter with any luck at all.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Only second year with this lawn. Very large with irrigation. But when I fertilize, it streaks or stripes, and you can see only a fine line where I walked. Spreader appears to spread it all around. Can anyone explain what I should do?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Only second year with this lawn. Very large with irrigation. But when I fertilize, it streaks or stripes, and you can see only a fine line where I walked. Spreader appears to spread it all around. Can anyone explain what I should do?

Get a better spreader?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

Get a better spreader?
Yea, I have a cheap spreader so I get the same things. My theory is some of it hits the wheel and falls straight down giving you the little lines. I tried to counter it by reducing the flow and making more passes going North-South and then East-West. Sometimes I can see a slight checkerboard pattern.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013

Half the rate you are throwing out and then spread the yard twice going in one direction, and then again at 90 degrees. Spreader should be throwing the fertilizer back to the wheel marks of your previous pass. Walk at a uniform and slightly brisk pace.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Walked my yard last night after mowing on Tuesday. Damn dandelions are already showing up. Looks like I'll have to breakout the hand sprayer already.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Mowed today for the first time after fertilizing last Sunday. Strip city