The Matt Campbell Era

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Good read. That 2017 season is still one of coolest things ever to me.

Mrpopps

Apr 3, 2020
Awesome to reflect on how far we've come and dream about how far we can still go

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Goosebumps. I remember being 1-3 in 2017 with this board divided before the OU game. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined what would ensue the rest of the year. That year's team will forever have a special place in my heart

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Goosebumps. I remember being 1-3 in 2017 with this board divided before the OU game. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined what would ensue the rest of the year. That year's team will forever have a special place in my heart
And as far as players go all time, so will Joel Freakin’ Lanning.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
The cool and stupid thing at the same time is that fans were disappointed in a season that ended with us playing Notre Dame in the Camping World Bowl. The same fans 5 years ago would have been salivating at this.

Reactions: CapnCy

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Good read. That 2017 season is still one of coolest things ever to me.

Oct 2017 was the best month. I just remember every day was just happy. There are few things better than the days after big iowa state wins.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
How crazy is it that this was part of his first recruiting class?

David Montgomery, Deshaunte Jones, JaQuan Bailey, D’Andre Payne, Enyi Uwazurike, Lawrence White, Chase Allen, Jamahl Johnson, Kene Nwangwu, Dylan Soehner and Steve Wirtel

Hmm. Any of these guys do anything important here?

Also random, but for some reason I always thought Kene was a CPR player. Maybe I'm mixing him up with another fast kick returning type

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017
The cool and stupid thing at the same time is that fans were disappointed in a season that ended with us playing Notre Dame in the Camping World Bowl. The same fans 5 years ago would have been salivating at this.
Forgot to stress that “Stupid fans” Anybody that’s disappointed in what CMC and his team are doing is nothing but a WITCH. Matt Campbell is GOAT is my era and I wouldn’t trade him for anybody. The best is yet to come with this coach and the cyclones.

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017

David Montgomery, Deshaunte Jones, JaQuan Bailey, D’Andre Payne, Enyi Uwazurike, Lawrence White, Chase Allen, Jamahl Johnson, Kene Nwangwu, Dylan Soehner and Steve Wirtel

Also random, but for some reason I always thought Kene was a CPR player. Maybe I'm mixing him up with another fast kick returning type
Oh I don’t know why I kept on thinking Jamahl Johnson was a Paul Rhoads recruit.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
You're intentionally leaving out information in the above, to suit your narrative.

If fans were upset at the matchup itself, I'd agree with your derision. But the matchup isn't what pissed people off, and you know it.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
You're intentionally leaving out information in the above, to suit your narrative.

If fans were upset at the matchup itself, I'd agree with your derision. But the matchup isn't what pissed people off, and you know it.

It was a decent season by ISU standards with some missed opportunities no doubt (Iowa, Baylor, OSU, Oklahoma). Didn't always look pretty, but a good bowl draw against a CFB blue blood was a nice consolation prize, despite the outcome.

I was so happy when we made the kick to walk off against Texas.

Reactions: CyBobby

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Don't know how you can look back over the last few years and think that Campbell isn't the right guy for ISU football. Granted people on this forum got a little ornery last year, but that's just fans being fans.

What's fun is that there's still plenty left for Campbell to potentially accomplish and cement his legacy.

1. Win 9-10 games and break the record from 2000.
2. Make the Big 12 championship game, and even win it.
3. Beat Iowa.
4. Make a top shelf bowl game (Sugar or other NY6)

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
It was a decent season by ISU standards with some missed opportunities no doubt (Iowa, Baylor, OSU, Oklahoma). Didn't always look pretty, but a good bowl draw against a CFB blue blood was a nice consolation prize, despite the outcome.

I was so happy when we made the kick to walk off against Texas.
I was content with last year's season. It didn't meet initial expectations, and it appeared that it could have gone better had the team been more fundamentally sound. I really enjoy the fact that we can physically compete with every other team in the conference. That has hardly ever happened at this school.

There was a flaw in last year's team, and from the outside looking in, it's difficult to pinpoint who was to blame. I'm not going to waste my time trying to find it, other than to note that it was there, and hope for better this year.

Personally, I freaking love Coach Matt Campbell and hope he stays here a long time.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer and Cyched

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I was content with last year's season. It didn't meet initial expectations, and it appeared that it could have gone better had the team been more fundamentally sound. I really enjoy the fact that we can physically compete with every other team in the conference. That has hardly ever happened at this school.

There was a flaw in last year's team, and from the outside looking in, it's difficult to pinpoint who was to blame. I'm not going to waste my time trying to find it, other than to note that it was there, and hope for better this year.

Personally, I freaking love Coach Matt Campbell and hope he stays here a long time.

It's hard to imagine that we could find a better coach for Iowa State. I was not sold on him after that first year. The best part about it though was that he acknowledged some of the issues and admits when he makes mistakes.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

Brought in a lot of guys that contributed right away.

Some of the key guys the first few years were Rhoads players (Lazard & Lanning), but it’s a reminder of how much recruiting had dropped off at the end of the PR era

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Brought in a lot of guys that contributed right away.

Some of the key guys the first few years were Rhoads players (Lazard & Lanning), but it’s a reminder of how much recruiting had dropped off at the end of the PR era

No doubt. I do think that recruiting picked up in his last class a bit (Spears and Butler come to mind).

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's hard to imagine that we could find a better coach for Iowa State. I was not sold on him after that first year. The best part about it though was that he acknowledged some of the issues and admits when he makes mistakes.

His first two games are officially omitted for me.
The rest of that 2016 season was interesting to watch, just to see what he could do with what he had, and how players responded.

That throttling of Tech was one of the best all around games ISU had played in a long time.