***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Coming off a terrible season, Shayok lead quite a year over year improvement. Not sure anyone quite saw that coming. It only takes one player sometimes and we have 4 spots to fill. Who knows how next year will turn out.
I think a huge reason as to why people were surprised with Shayok doing what he did at Iowa State was because it was hard to get real excited by simply looking at Shayok's numbers at Virginia. His ppg didn't exactly jump off the page, but that was primarily due to their play style and the fact that he was always playing with high level talent.

Buggs coming to Iowa State does not fix our problems, but the fact that Gonzaga is in play is a good sign. We don't need Buggs to come in and score 15 per game. We need him to come in and be a strong guard who can facilitate, which is one of his best attributes. I'm extremely hopeful Prohm will do a good job of making sure he lets Buggs know his job next year is to be the leading scorer. Nixon had that mindset and it turned out awful.

We have 4 scholarships to use. There are still some very nice guys out there and we put feelers out to a ton of them. Hopefully one of those bigger names swing our way.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Imagine not being happy about getting a grad transfer guard that Gonzaga wanted in our current situation. Geez

Imagine being excited about getting a grad transfer who isn’t even starter worthy and can’t play defense!

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
No, ISU had a terrible year in 17/18. Deep last. Maybe everyone else knew 18/19 was going to be a good year, but I was worried we wouldn't be better than 7th with a returning bad team, some freshmen, and a player from uva that didn't score more than 10ppg.
Yes, we can improve greatly if we add a couple good pieces this spring!

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If Buggs ends up being the best guy of the bunch, we're not sitting well. We're then going to have to have 2 freshman play unbelievably well to be where we would like this team to be.

If we end up getting even one guy that is a "home run", we're in much better shape. Even if we get a commitment from Buggs before anyone else, let's not freak out one way or another.

There are a ton of moving pieces right now and likely more to come.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I’m hearing Turner is headed to Missouri.

If so then it’s Aiken or bust at this point. No one on the current roster is either built or ready to be the starting pg in the Big 12.

If no Aiken then we are what....Buggs, Gomez and bank two scholarships. What a mess.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I’m hearing Turner is headed to Missouri.

That would be disappointing but Conzo can recruit, thanks for sharing.

Just for fun, I jumped over to the Mizzou board just to see if they had any word and nothing on Turner but pessimism. in fact most the debate if Mizzou is even on the level of attractiveness ISU/Marq for a transfer. Good reminder with some of the recent negativity of CF due to last year things could be worse.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
If only they had a shooter off the bench last year that couldn’t play defense, they would have been much better....
Which potential guy is this in reference to?

Outside of the Turner or Carton types, Spring Recruiting is about finding pieces that work imo. A lethal shooter is a piece. A guard that can handle and defend is a piece. I like a forward that can shoot like what we tried with Brase, if we go the route of the IHCC forward.

I do worry if we have the chef needed to take leftovers and know how to put a good meal together.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
If Buggs ends up being the best guy of the bunch, we're not sitting well. We're then going to have to have 2 freshman play unbelievably well to be where we would like this team to be.

If we end up getting even one guy that is a "home run", we're in much better shape. Even if we get a commitment from Buggs before anyone else, let's not freak out one way or another.

There are a ton of moving pieces right now and likely more to come.

Yep Gomez and Buggs are tier 2 transfers. We would still need a tier 1 guy like Aiken or Turner

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So the "we will just add multiple immediate impact transfers" strategy is proving a bit harder than people thought? Weird.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
If so then it’s Aiken or bust at this point. No one on the current roster is either built or ready to be the starting pg in the Big 12.

If no Aiken then we are what....Buggs, Gomez and bank two scholarships. What a mess.

Obviously Turner or Aiken would provided confidence as B12 ready day one, but I don't want to dismiss Gomez and Buggs bad or not starter worthy commitments as I see some are posting. Both are getting similar attention from P5 programs for a reason thus would be good adds to help next years team. They all are top 15 GT options in the portal, even if Turner and Aiken are top 7.

No matter who we add we need two of the freshman to come in and contribute regardless and that is how the team improves over last year.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

I agree, I think this would pale in comparison even to the Nixon/Bolton combo of last year. Steve needs to do better. Bring them in by all means, but they can't be what he hangs his hat on.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Scout’s take: “He has unlimited range, doesn’t hunt shots and plays with toughness and confidence. He’s not a primary ball handler, but can initiate offense with him and then run him off screens. Doesn’t get rattled.”
Schools: Arkansas, Iowa State, San Diego State, Washington State

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So the "we will just add multiple immediate impact transfers" strategy is proving a bit harder than people thought? Weird.
I don't know many who had this mindset, but if they did they were being very optimistic it'd turn out perfectly. Most people thought we needed 1 or 2 immediate impact guys. Picking up Buggs, Gomez, or both, still doesn't change that. The list is certainly thinning, but that doesn't mean we should panic. It's April 6th. Let's see how the chips fall and then make our evaluations after that.

Reactions: CyTwins