Texas names their new WBB head coach...

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I did not think Vic Schaefer would leave Mississippi State...

Last edited:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Didn't know anything about him but he is an Austin native according to his bio. So maybe thats why?

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Didn't know anything about him but he is an Austin native according to his bio. So maybe thats why?
Hmm, maybe.

He's been at MSU since 2013-13, with two national runner-up seasons to his credit. In the 90s, he spent seven seasons at Sam Houston State (but only one of those was over .500). In between those gigs, he held assistant and associate coaching positions at Arkansas, then Texas A&M, before going to Mississippi State.

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
Money talks. This is a surprise. I hope he fails miserably. Lol

Not likely. He's proved he can coach.

Didn't ISU have them down 17 early in the second half 2-3 years ago in Ames and they came back and beat us right at the end?

And, isn't he the one that benched his PG for the National Championship game that year for insubordination and a bad attitude??

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Not likely. He's proved he can coach.

Didn't ISU have them down 17 early in the second half 2-3 years ago in Ames and they came back and beat us right at the end?

And, isn't he the one that benched his PG for the National Championship game that year for insubordination and a bad attitude??

First...every coach Texas has hired has proven they can coach BEFORE they get to Austin. That doesn't guarantee success there. Texas chews up coaches in basketball like they are a disposable lighter.
Second, what does a loss to a top national team have to do with anything today? Yes...we were up by double digits at half and got dominated the rest of the way. Getting beat by the team that ended up #2 in the NCAA tournament is nothing to sneeze at.

Reactions: NWICY and Buster28

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
First...every coach Texas has hired has proven they can coach BEFORE they get to Austin. That doesn't guarantee success there. Texas chews up coaches in basketball like they are a disposable lighter.
Second, what does a loss to a top national team have to do with anything today? Yes...we were up by double digits at half and got dominated the rest of the way. Getting beat by the team that ended up #2 in the NCAA tournament is nothing to sneeze at.

First: I simply said it is likely he will be successful there. For ISU purposes, I hope he isn't. But, his record at MSU strongly indicates that he can apparently assemble talent and can coach them to wins.

Second: I was simply asking a couple of questions and hoping for some confirmation. I was not trying to point out something negative about ISU. I was at the ISU/MSU game with my family. As I recall it was a heck of a game start to finish.

If my comment and two questions offended you, I apologize.

Reactions: geewago

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=80570

Mississippi State is nearing the end of its women's basketball coaching search.

A source with immediate knowledge of the situation told The Dispatch Thursday that MSU Athletic Director John Cohen is down to a final two of Louisville's Jeff Walz and Old Dominion's Nikki McCray-Penson.

Johnnie Harris, who served as former coach Vic Schaefer's associate head coach for the entirety of his stay in Starkville, also interviewed for the job

It remains to be seen what either would be paid should they take the job.

A source told The Dispatch last week that Schaefer was slated to make almost $2 million annually should he have stayed at MSU. For context, Walz made $1.475 million in base salary during the 2018-19 season according to the Louisville Courier-Journal, while McCray-Penson earned a base salary of $200,000 in 2018-19 according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

A source with immediate knowledge of the situation told The Dispatch Thursday that MSU Athletic Director John Cohen is down to a final two of Louisville's Jeff Walz and Old Dominion's Nikki McCray-Penson.

Johnnie Harris, who served as former coach Vic Schaefer's associate head coach for the entirety of his stay in Starkville, also interviewed for the job

A source told The Dispatch last week that Schaefer was slated to make almost $2 million annually should he have stayed at MSU. For context, Walz made $1.475 million in base salary during the 2018-19 season according to the Louisville Courier-Journal, while McCray-Penson earned a base salary of $200,000 in 2018-19 according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Wow, of all the possible jobs he has probably had in the few years leaving Louisville for the meat grinder that is SEC would be shocking.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
But if you do, just make sure you sneeze into your elbow or wear a mask, please.

Last edited:

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb

Interesting, I do not see Walz leaving unless they throw more than 2 mil at him. He has it pretty good where he is now. The other two would be be much less expensive an Harris knows the players coming back.