Darlinstone Dubar

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I don't get it. I graduated from ISU, but know almost nothing about basketball strategy. Obviously, every other Cyclone fan has a high level of basketball expertise, and then there's me. Man, did I miss the boat! Anyway, appreciate all the detailed analysis from everyone, otherwise I wouldn't know all the things we have done wrong.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I don't get it. I graduated from ISU, but know almost nothing about basketball strategy. Obviously, every other Cyclone fan has a high level of basketball expertise, and then there's me. Man, did I miss the boat! Anyway, appreciate all the detailed analysis from everyone, otherwise I wouldn't know all the things we have done wrong.
I sense a smidget of sarcasm.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Dubar highlights coming this week. In the meantime, here’s some SR year Jaden Walker highlights. Quality isn’t the best but this is better than nothing, right?

Thank you, Cade. Particularly in these times of social distancing! You’re a valuable member of the Cyclone community, my young friend.

Reactions: heitclone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Walker looked good but not, "Wow he's Big XII ready." Hopefully we land a PG with a couple years to play.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Don't worry, I can get you up to speed.

When the other team keeps scoring over and over, that's bad. Prohm's fault.

When we keep chucking with no result. Still bad. Prohm's fault.

When everything clicks (once a month) that's good but bad it's so infrequent. Yep, Prohm's fault.

That should do it.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Walker looked good but not, "Wow he's Big XII ready." Hopefully we land a PG with a couple years to play.
It's always tough to tell with basketball highlights how good a player will be. It's a little easier with football because you can judge the play speed, first step quickness, route running, pass accuracy and arm strength. But with basketball, a lot of the times, it's a dude draining a bunch of threes in different games or a 7' center blocking a 5'10" opponents shot.

I rewatched Haliburton's tape last summer and it was obvious how his team won state over the top tier Milwaukee schools. He was an ELITE distributor and his tape showed that. Walker's mostly shows him getting buckets and making a few defensive hustle plays. However, a promising thing about that tape is it's only a few games and he is making A LOT of plays, and his team was usually winning (A good sign for a PG prospect).

Like I needed for Dubar, I'll need a full game worth of tape to judge. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Dubar's tape, he was the best on the court by a wide margin each game I saw. We have a good class coming in. Don't ruin it Steve.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
At 6'8 Young needs to continue to develop as a wing defender to ensure future livelihood. That said pairing Young with Foster and Conditt with the small ball 4s should allow us to distribute minutes and play man.

By pairing Young with Foster it allows Foster to defend as a 5 but maintain the freedom of a 4 on O.

If we are relying on Young to guard wings we are in a lot of trouble. He made great strides toward the end of the season in guarding in the pick and roll imo, but he doesn't have the foot speed to guard a wing. Foster will need some time to develop there as well, but he's probably already ahead of Young in that regard just due to athleticism.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
If we are relying on Young to guard wings we are in a lot of trouble. He made great strides toward the end of the season in guarding in the pick and roll imo, but he doesn't have the foot speed to guard a wing. Foster will need some time to develop there as well, but he's probably already ahead of Young in that regard just due to athleticism.
I have to disagree with you here. When we started switching ball screens towards the end of the year, I think Solo did a great job of guarding wings. He has really active hands, caused a couple turnovers, and rarely got beat the basket. Got beat on step backs is about it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I have to disagree with you here. When we started switching ball screens towards the end of the year, I think Solo did a great job of guarding wings. He has really active hands, caused a couple turnovers, and rarely got beat the basket. Got beat on step backs is about it.
Solo did a pretty good job as the year went on. The problem was that Mike didn't. Mike really struggled the entire year and there was really not a better option for most games. Lewis and Griffin were more negative overall than Mike was, and we didn't have anyone else we could put in.

Solo, to me, is a huge bright spot for next year. He showed me he's finally getting back into the swing of things after two injury filled seasons. In quite a few games, he was our rock. If he makes another stride, he'll be incredibly consistent for us. Maybe next year is the year he takes that next step and starts knocking down some threes, which would be huge for us on offense.

The guy I'm most worried about is Conditt. He wants to get better.. you can see it. He just needs to keep on chugging along and something will click. We need him to be able to produce consistently because that's going to take a ton of the pressure off of Foster.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
In man-to-man Foster might be a defensive liability against many teams that go with a wing 4.

But if Foster is ready to start because of his offense skills, then Prohm may need to experiment with a zone. Having to shoot over a 7' wing is a bit of a challenge for a 6'4"ish shooter.

I'm not a huge fan of zone defenses, but it would be interesting to see if we could do a 3-2 zone for the second team. I suspect the length and athleticism of Walker, Dubar and Blackwell on top and Conditt and Foster down low could be a problem for most teams. Not sure if that group would have enough shooting to score effectively, but I bet they'd get some transition garbage buckets from the steals and blocks they'd generate.

So, I'd at least experiment with a zone.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm not a huge fan of zone defenses, but it would be interesting to see if we could do a 3-2 zone for the second team. I suspect the length and athleticism of Walker, Dubar and Blackwell on top and Conditt and Foster down low could be a problem for most teams. Not sure if that group would have enough shooting to score effectively, but I bet they'd get some transition garbage buckets from the steals and blocks they'd generate.

So, I'd at least experiment with a zone.
Prohm needs to get these guys to play man-to-man before we teach them any zone. Sure, we'll have some zone schemes being practiced and likely thrown into games from time to time, but if our guys are going to be good defensively next year, and in the future, man-to-man defense is a must.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
Dubar is definitely the most physically ready for the Big 12 day one. Foster and Walker both need some weight room work but could get there by November.