benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I grabbed a few large bank stocks as a 1-2 year play but putting most into S&P index for the long haul. Planning to dollar cost average on the index over the next few weeks. Good/bad?

Reactions: bos and NateTheBoss
L

LincolnWay187

Just found out I'm either furloughed for a few months or taking a 20 percent pay cut, company wide...imagine I'm not the only one. I would not buy into that market..we are headed for some ****

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Just found out I'm either furloughed for a few months or taking a 20 percent pay cut, company wide...imagine I'm not the only one. I would not buy into that market..we are headed for some ****

Sorry man. That sucks. Just curious, what sector do you work in?

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Same. Mandatory furlough day once a week = 20% pay cut.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I grabbed a few large bank stocks as a 1-2 year play but putting most into S&P index for the long haul. Planning to dollar cost average on the index over the next few weeks. Good/bad?
If u plan not to hold long term I would dump before the weekend.

Reactions: benjay

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Same. Mandatory furlough day once a week = 20% pay cut.

I always was nice when I ran the factory I did. I made sure to lay people off for a whole week so they could get unemployment for the time off and not have to just take a cut in pay that way. I know it isn't 100% for unemployment but i know businesses that would do the 1-2 days each week to keep the unemployment down.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I always was nice when I ran the factory I did. I made sure to lay people off for a whole week so they could get unemployment for the time off and not have to just take a cut in pay that way. I know it isn't 100% for unemployment but i know businesses that would do the 1-2 days each week to keep the unemployment down.
Anyone who wants to can be laid off but I think I'm making more money still working than on unemployment. Plus I want something to do haha

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Anyone who wants to can be laid off but I think I'm making more money still working than on unemployment. Plus I want something to do haha
Oohh, I definitely understand that. 4 days is still better than unemployment. It is around 60-70% if your normal pay. I had enough people that had side jobs that they did for cash here and there that they could be close to normal wages if I gave them better than a day here and there stretch. I need to get outside and start hauling some stuff and getting things ready, but I'm trying to wrap up office stuff for my side job now.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I made $7000 on MFA this morning and cashed out. Then I got greedy and bought back in at the top right before it went down. I had a meeting so didn't keep my eye on it and ended up losing everything I made and then about $7000 more. I should know better than to be greedy. Take my massive profit and walk away. But im too stupid to do that.

I ran some numbers from January until now and if I didn't touch a thing I'd have $X based on SP500 returns . But since I tried to day trade I'm $X-$6200 . At one point I was $X + $20,000 so obviously I am trying to hard to make too much and simply gambling. I'm gonna cash out of my short term stocks tomorrow and only keep my ETFs going forward .

Oddly enough, in my Roth account that doesn't allow trading on margin I am $X+$3,000. Clearly trading in margin has hurt me.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
We were hit with the same news. I lost my job and my wife has to take a 15% reduction in salary.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Downward Trends in Markets never go straight down. Charts show small rallies generally take place while the overall trend remains down. We may have hit bottom. And maybe we haven’t. You may not have a job tomorrow. We are in unprecedented times. So old rules may not apply.

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013
I sold everything today. I'll pick it up after it crashes next week.

Same here for non retirement investing. Sold everything except for company stock I can’t sell and Microsoft. Plan on putting a decent chunk of money in assuming we get a good dip next week.

Last edited:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I don't understand this market at all, we are heading into a depression with double digit unemployment, and people are buying? This is not ending in the next few weeks.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I don't understand this market at all, we are heading into a depression with double digit unemployment, and people are buying? This is not ending in the next few weeks.
giphy.gif