Braxton Bayless

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I just heard today that Ron Bayless' son Braxton had 41 points in a state tournament game today. I have not heard of him until today. For those who may have seen him play before, is he a Big 12 caliber player? Since he is a legacy, didn't know if there was any interest from us as far as a scholarship or preferred walk on?

Reactions: Peter

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Kids still raise the roof apparently.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Considering he is a 6-01 senior that we haven't heard about, I'm going to guess he's walk-on quality at best. Don't know about the season, but 17 of his points in this particular game came from the free throw line.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Have seen him once and he looks pretty good. I didn't think High D1 level though. I am not an expert but he looks like a version of the kid that played at North a few years ago and now plays for like North Alabama

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Watched that game today. He was impressive with his quickness getting to the basket and drawing fouls. Decision making needs some serious work. His jumper is ok. He has some crazy athleticism that he showed on a chase down block that was pretty impressive.

JDDDCy

Dec 20, 2017
I thought I heard the announcers say he has to work on his grades so he is going to DMACC next year. Might be someone we could be looking at down the road. 23 pts/game, 55% fg, 46% from 3.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
His dad is one of my all time favorite Cyclones.

Loved that Bayless Thigpen backcourt.

their first year they had a guard named skip McCoy, who was the third guard. He transferred to New Mexico State after that year. That turned out to be a big loss for the next two years, as they didn’t have a third guard the next season.

then had to play Jason Kimbrough and the immortal Jacy Holloway as freshman, the year Loren Meyer got hit by the train.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Loved that Bayless Thigpen backcourt.

their first year they had a guard named skip McCoy, who was the third guard. He transferred to New Mexico State after that year. That turned out to be a big loss for the next two years, as they didn’t have a third guard the next season.

then had to play Jason Kimbrough and the immortal Jacy Holloway as freshman, the year Loren Meyer got hit by the train.

Yeah, I was devastated when Skip left, as I thought he had a high ceiling (and if I recall, he went on to prove that at NMSU too.

Bayless was a relentless defender, and a three point shooter with absolutely no conscience. Loved the way he played.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Snydes and 67CY

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Ron Bayless was one of the best (if not the best) on-ball defenders in ISU history.

Tre Jackson reminds me of him in a way, with his energy and how he squats down and really tries to mirror who he is defending. Probably too early to put that label on him, but that's who came to mind.