Are we being to harsh

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah they have twice as many wins as we do. Let's not get too hung up on the one thing we have in common with a good team.
It was more about how anything can happen. Teams lose to teams they aren't suppose to lose to all the time. It's highlighted this year more because we're not having a good year. Teams don't care how much one coach makes or anything like that. Games aren't played on paper.

• Creative
Reactions: cb1030

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The problem with the second part is that he should not just be playing the piano in your analogy. He was also in charge of the keys being put in different spots and keys being missing. I'm sure he knew THT was a one and done if possible, and that Wigginton was unhappy. These things didn't happen overnight. He didn't replace them adequately and this is the result. These things didn't just happen to him, I would argue they happened in large part because of him.

Why does our fan base insist on making **** up? FFS Wigginton didn't leave because he was unhappy!

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
That's a little simplistic of an analogy lol. People want to try and boil it down to as easy as being black and white, winning and losing, but that's not the case. We were winning last year and people were pissed because we weren't winning "enough".
People weren't mad because we didnt win enough. People were mad because we had a complete and total meltdown in February and lost round 1 in the NCAA tournament. Context matters a bit here

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
People weren't mad because we didnt win enough. People were mad because we had a complete and total meltdown in February and lost round 1 in the NCAA tournament. Context matters a bit here

so context matters when it can be used as a negative against the coach, but not when it provides real reasons for things the way they are? Gotcha.

now, let’s talk about completely making **** up. Is that something that can be frowned upon by the crewe? Or are you all so firmly entrenched in your groupthink, that you’re going to continue forwarding nonsense?

• Dislike
Reactions: awd4cy

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
You should probably strive to read critically then.

Conversely, why are you incapable of crediting him for the good things that have happened on and off the court while he’s been the coach?

Back at you bud. I have given him credit. This year there isn't much to give credit for. I credit him for the worst season in nearly 20 years. He also did a pretty good job his first couple years, and while I think we underachieved with the talent we had last year, it was by most measures a very successful year of basketball. But we are a dumpster fire right now, and that's on him too. That's how heading coaching works. He gets the credit, and the blame.[/QUOTE]

so you actually consider saying he underachieved as crediting him?

yep.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
So spread the losses out and everything is fine?
Probably? If you flip it and we had a sucky January followed up by a hot February and a Big 12 tournament win then the narrative feels a little different. Takes you from a team lost all it's chemistry and started playing for themselves when things got rough to a team that took a while to click but really got things rolling once they did. I'd probably be a tad lighter on Prohm if it was the other way around TBH. Like no guarantees or anything but a hot Feb plus a Big 12 tournament win feels a lot better than a ****** Feb, random Big 12 tournament win, and then regressing to the mean in the NCAA

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Probably? If you flip it and we had a sucky January followed up by a hot February and a Big 12 tournament win then the narrative feels a little different. Takes you from a team lost all it's chemistry and started playing for themselves when things got rough to a team that took a while to click but really got things rolling once they did. I'd probably be a tad lighter on Prohm if it was the other way around TBH. Like no guarantees or anything but a hot Feb plus a Big 12 tournament win feels a lot better than a ****** Feb, random Big 12 tournament win, and then regressing to the mean in the NCAA

Yeah the 16-17 season has a much rosier picture because things got rolling in February after a pretty bumpy start especially with all that was returning. ISU was 13-8 entering January. I think most people would say CSP did a nice job that year--heck even that Jereisb said that.

A red flag to me was when ISU won at KU, besides getting hot from 3, Solo played a big part by doing a nice job on defense that really screwed KU up a bit.

The next game was a bad night at Texas, with Solo playing 14 minutes and CSP did his retrospective thing after that game talking about how he probably should have played more.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
People forget we won a Big 12 regular season title in 2000 but still lost in the first round to 15 seeded Hampton. Or in 2014-2015 we got 2nd in the Big 12 regular season and lost in the first round to 14 seeded UAB.

Adversity hit our team last year in a variety of ways towards the end of the season and we answered the call by winning 3 games in 3 days at the Big 12 Tournament against solid teams. In the NCAA tournament game, we didn't lose because we melted down or because we weren't playing as a team. We lost because we weren't making shots. We were getting great looks but weren't knocking them down. We even played pretty good defense overall that game. It happens.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Hide the kids and small animals.....I agree Kane. Good post.

• Funny
Reactions: CoKane

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
That's a little simplistic of an analogy lol. People want to try and boil it down to as easy as being black and white, winning and losing, but that's not the case. We were winning last year and people were pissed because we weren't winning "enough".

And using the piano analogy as far as this season goes. Prohm's dealing with playing a piano where some of the keys are in different spots, one's broken, a few of them sound a bit off, some keys are missing, but Prohm's being yelled at by fans to sound like Mozart.

But let’s keep in mind that Prohm’s job isn’t just to play the piano but also make the piano. A lot of the keys that sound “off” were installed by Prohm.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneworld

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
But let’s keep in mind that Prohm’s job isn’t just to play the piano but also make the piano. A lot of the keys that sound “off” were installed by Prohm.
Yes you're right. This is Prohm's ship and he has to go down with it. This analogy was more towards people thinking this team should be better than they are.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
People forget we won a Big 12 regular season title in 2000 but still lost in the first round to 15 seeded Hampton. Or in 2014-2015 we got 2nd in the Big 12 regular season and lost in the first round to 14 seeded UAB.

Adversity hit our team last year in a variety of ways towards the end of the season and we answered the call by winning 3 games in 3 days at the Big 12 Tournament against solid teams. In the NCAA tournament game, we didn't lose because we melted down or because we weren't playing as a team. We lost because we weren't making shots. We were getting great looks but weren't knocking them down. We even played pretty good defense overall that game. It happens.

Eh...I thought ISU in the tourney last year reverted back to what was a common theme in their losses. The ball stopped moving, looking disjointed at both ends, etc.

Add in a game plan of never throwing a 2nd defender at Wesson even occasionally and the result was pretty predictable.

There was nothing about that late lead that felt sustainable.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Eh...I thought ISU in the tourney last year reverted back to what was a common theme in their losses. The ball stopped moving, looking disjointed at both ends, etc.

Add in a game plan of never throwing a 2nd defender at Wesson even occasionally and the result was pretty predictable.

There was nothing about that late lead that felt sustainable.
Yeah the basketball being played wasn't perfect, but with our offense, holding a team to 62 points should be good enough. We were getting good shots throughout the game but rarely any fell. We had a tough time getting out on breaks which is really where we thrive, but OSU wasn't going to let us do that.

The basketball we played that night was exponentially better than the basketball we played @ Texas and @ WVU in late February, that's what I was trying to get at.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Don't forget about Babb and Lard - playing ball for money..... Prohm got his recruiting classes to start and many of them went pro earlier than we thought..... We want to start over? If Prohm leaves, how may of his recruits go too

Who on this team would you be sad about leaving that isn't already leaving. Conditt? Hes gotten worse throughout this season. Griffin? Hes a bust. Lewis? Prohm doesn't utilize him and I think hes gone no matter what. Bolton? Hes good but makes some awful decisions.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Who on this team would you be sad about leaving that isn't already leaving. Conditt? Hes gotten worse throughout this season. Griffin? Hes a bust. Lewis? Prohm doesn't utilize him and I think hes gone no matter what. Bolton? Hes good but makes some awful decisions.

Conditt (he had a rough middle of the season but came back a little), Bolton (he gets himself into some tough spots, but that is at least somewhat due to being asked to carry more scoring load than he should at this point in his career - plus he has shot it at a high level in the Big 12), Jackson, Young.