Cody Fisher

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Well, how tall is he?

Snyder is only 5-11. I think Steve Mocco was shorter than that.
Snyder?????

thumb_dafuq-when-non-mexicans-try-to-talk-to-you-in-33000229.png

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Isn’t they point of bringing up Snyder’s height to imply that someone can be short and still have success at heavyweight?
Yes. To counter your claim that someone who is short is necessarily disadvantaged. I'd say it depends on the wrestler.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Yes. To counter your claim that someone who is short is necessarily disadvantaged. I'd say it depends on the wrestler.
Ok that’s what I thought.

And I’d agree. If you are one of the top 5 wrestlers in the history of the United States, you will be able to get by with being short for the weight.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Ok that’s what I thought.

And I’d agree. If you are one of the top 5 wrestlers in the history of the United States, you will be able to get by with being short for the weight.
So how tall is Anthony Cassar? How about someone who was recently in the room like Dom Bradley? There are all kinds of examples of shorter wrestlers being very good HWs. Do I want a Greenlee at HW? Absolutely but lets not write off Fisher before he wrestles a match.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
So how tall is Anthony Cassar? How about someone who was recently in the room like Dom Bradley? There are all kinds of examples of shorter wrestlers being very good HWs. Do I want a Greenlee at HW? Absolutely but lets not write off Fisher before he wrestles a match.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Wrestling_Championships#1999–2019
Snyder isn't the only heavy hovering around 6' listed here and I'm sure if somebody took the time to look at the AAs for each year you'd find plenty more.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I bet less than 10% of heavyweight AAs over the last 20 years were shorter than 6 ft. No one said it is impossible, but just a disadvantage.

I understand your point. I'd also counter-point out that there are more "short" success stories (Bono, Berry Weldon, Snyder, etc) than "Tall" ones (Degen, Mark Branch, etc). That's the beauty of wrestling is that all body types can produce winners. Just because...I'm going to call Cody Fisher the next Kyle Snyder from here on out ;)

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: cyputz and matclone

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I understand your point. I'd also counter-point out that there are more "short" success stories (Bono, Berry Weldon, Snyder, etc) than "Tall" ones (Degen, Mark Branch, etc). That's the beauty of wrestling is that all body types can produce winners. Just because...I'm going to call Cody Fisher the next Kyle Snyder from here on out ;)
I agree, that is the beauty of wrestling. It is the only sport where an Anthony Robles can happen. That said, I’d probably focus my recruiting on guys with 2 legs.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I bet less than 10% of heavyweight AAs over the last 20 years were shorter than 6 ft. No one said it is impossible, but just a disadvantage.
Started looking into this because I was really curious to see how it broke down. Didn’t get very far before I realized it is really hard to find listed height for wrestlers. Might go back to it when I have a lot of time to do some digging because I’m stubborn like that.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
I agree on Duggan. We need him to be a heavy!

And we need to focus on a transfer heavy if one comes available. In Intermat's top 20 rankings for 285, 18 of them are already verbal'd for football or wrestling. Only 2 juniors that aren't committed yet. Not getting a recruit for heavyweight this year means we need to rely on Duggan or Fisher once Gremmel is done. There is even the possibility of Gremmel being done after this year.

There likely won't be a true freshman available and ready to step into the lineup for 2021/22.

This years weight changes have made me scratch my head. Anyone paying attention knew we needed Shapiro at 197 this year. Why he was cutting to 184 his redshirt year seems like a bad idea. Where would he be today if he allowed to grow, lift and get used to the weight?

Clearly we had no one in the pipeline for a backup heavy this year and zero on the roster post GG. Allowing/asking Duggan to drop down to 197 thus year is near malfeasance. What if GG had been injured for a long period of time? I can only assume there is no future for Duggan at Heavy either his or the coaches decision because bumping him back up in an off season and expecting him to compete at a high level is absurd.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: csteve and cyputz

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
There is a possibility Gremmel may not be back for his final season. I sure hope he does or we will have a big hole at HWT next year. The lack of recruiting success this staff has had is going to start showing after next season.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
There is a possibility Gremmel may not be back for his final season. I sure hope he does or we will have a big hole at HWT next year. The lack of recruiting success this staff has had is going to start showing after next season.
Why do you say that?