Disney CEO Bob Iger Stepping Down

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/disn...iately-will-be-replaced-by-bob-chapek-a173456

Looks like this is one step towards the closing of an era at Disney. This seems more like just a single step towards the retirement of Iger out of the company beings how he still will remain on as Executive Chairman, head of creative, and the new CEO Chapek will still report to Iger. I guess the real question is whether this sudden news is a precursor to Iger jumping into the race for President. I'm not exactly fluent on the process as to whether this is even possible this late in the game, but I know some people are asking the question.

While there is much to nitpick with Iger's stint at Disney, particularly on the Lucasfilm front, its pretty undeniable how successful of a CEO the dude was during his long stint there. He came into the company during a really rough stint in its history, and not only successfully accomplished some of the biggest purchase deals in history (Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Fox), but also greatly revitalized every already existing aspect of their business. That isn't even mentioning how much the dude has already pioneered the company to be cutting edge for the future of media with their already successful Disney+ platform. I've read his book, which honestly is a very good read. How the man goes about his business is quite impressive and it will be interesting how well Disney rebounds after he is fully gone. In fact, I'd even go as far to say he is right up there in the grouping of the most successful and impactful CEOs of our era, with the likes of the Steve Jobs and Bill Gates of the world. Even with my Lucasfilm nitpicks, its me questioning more of the company's creative success with that property much less so than its financial success. To say Iger hasn't been financially successful with Lucasfilm would just be ignorant.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
I had not heard any rumblings of Iger for Prez, and i'll leave other political commentary to the cave, but that announcement would make this the absolute weirdest primary season in modern history.

But agreed, Iger adopted a lemon (albeit a lemon with infinite resources) from Eisner and turned that into a delicious Arnold Palmer. Eisner did plenty good through the late 80s and early 90s, but by 2000 he had let the creative side of Disney and the core business of the theme parks fall to the wayside in favor of ever-increasing reliance on new legs of the corporate spider (ABC & ESPN).

I was admittedly worried about the monopolization of the industry with Iger acquiring Lucas, Pixar, and Marvel, though kudos to him. He successfully convinced 3 creative giants to essentially bequeath their life's work to the creative control of the Great Mouse Mothership. So far it's paying off very well, a stockpile of beloved characters and storylines to reinvigorate merchandising and theme parks. I just hope Iger's style of management of these recently-acquired franchises is maintained by his successor.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Never heard of him, honestly.

May not have heard of him, but whether you realize it or not, his decisions have had an impact on everyone, including you. How we consume ISU sports or pretty much any media for that matter has been greatly impacted by Bob Iger over the past 16 years, most notably on the recent front with our transition of 3rd tier rights from Cyclones.TV to ESPN+. Shoot, just the streaming of sports in general was all pioneered by Iger back in the good old free days of ESPN3. Some on here might remember those days. I sure do.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
May not have heard of him, but whether you realize it or not, his decisions have had an impact on everyone, including you. How we consume ISU sports or pretty much any media for that matter has been greatly impacted by Bob Iger over the past 10 years or so, most notably lately with our transition of 3rd tier rights from Cyclones.TV to ESPN+. Shoot, just the streaming of sports in general was started by Iger back in the good old free days of ESPN3. Some on here might remember those days. I sure do.

Definitely not making any statement other than that I had never heard of him. Seems like an odd time to jump into the presidential race as well.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I had not heard any rumblings of Iger for Prez, and i'll leave other political commentary to the cave, but that announcement would make this the absolute weirdest primary season in modern history.

But agreed, Iger adopted a lemon (albeit a lemon with infinite resources) from Eisner and turned that into a delicious Arnold Palmer. Eisner did plenty good through the late 80s and early 90s, but by 2000 he had let the creative side of Disney and the core business of the theme parks fall to the wayside in favor of ever-increasing reliance on new legs of the corporate spider (ABC & ESPN).

I was admittedly worried about the monopolization of the industry with Iger acquiring Lucas, Pixar, and Marvel, though kudos to him. He successfully convinced 3 creative giants to essentially bequeath their life's work to the creative control of the Great Mouse Mothership. So far it's paying off very well, a stockpile of beloved characters and storylines to reinvigorate merchandising and theme parks. I just hope Iger's style of management of these recently-acquired franchises is maintained by his successor.

Yeah, there is no denying that Eisner too had his successful heyday at Disney as well earlier in his tenure, but towards the end, the company was borderline falling apart at the seams due to some of his decisions.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I heard the other day (in relation to someone else potentially entering the race) that it’s too late to get on the ballot in a number of states. He’s not stepping down to run for president.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Definitely not making any statement other than that I had never heard of him. Seems like an odd time to jump into the presidential race as well.

Conventionally, yes. But I can also see someone watching that Democratic debate thinking "all I have to do is beat these people?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Conventionally, yes. But I can also someone watching that Democratic debate thinking "all I have to do is beat these people?"

Not to delve too far down the political hole in a non-political forum, but from what little is out there on Iger's true political beliefs outside of him just simply identifying as democrat (he mostly keeps quiet on that front), after reading his book, I have a hard time believing he isn't a fairly moderate democrat. It truly is just a guess by me from what I've gathered, so don't take that to heart. Whether a moderate democrat could win the Democratic nomination or not, there at least doesn't seem to be really much of anybody in that category currently. Again, my apologies and encourage people from straying too far down this hole. I'm kind of a big Disney/Marvel/Star Wars nut, which is why I'm fairly well-versed on Iger and where most my admiration comes from for the guy.

Last edited:

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Not to delve too far down the political hole in a non-political forum, but from what little is out there on Iger's true political beliefs outside of him just simply identifying as democrat (he mostly keeps quiet on that front), after reading his book, I have a hard time believing he isn't a fairly moderate democrat. It truly is just a guess by me from what I've gathered, so don't take that to heart. Whether a moderate democrat could win the Democratic nomination or not, there at least doesn't seem to be really much of anybody in that category currently. Again, my apologies and encourage people from straying too far down this hole. I'm kind of a big Disney/Marvel/Star Wars nut, which is why I'm fairly well-versed on Iger and where most my admiration comes from for the guy.

Biden, Pete, Amy, and Bloomberg are all in this category. That doesn't include people like Booker or Harris that have already dropped out. The moderate lane being so crowded is a part of why Bernie is doing so well.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic