How does Javon Johnson look?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Lol several.

Well, ****, you watch the America East Conference so I guess that somehow give you credibility. Well done.

Just saying I watch more than just big 12. Then again, you watch practice so that means more than actually seeing him play in COLLEGE. I get it. If I am being Honest I think he get's maybe 15 minutes a game next year. I think Zion plays more of a big roll than Johnson. Hope I am wrong. Just don't see how you guys see a player who average 10 and 4 at a last place team in a horrible Sun Belt league, suddenly steps his game up so much. It makes no sense.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Just saying I watch more than just big 12. Then again, you watch practice so that means more than actually seeing him play in COLLEGE. I get it. If I am being Honest I think he get's maybe 15 minutes a game next year. I think Zion plays more of a big roll than Johnson. Hope I am wrong. Just don't see how you guys see a player who average 10 and 4 at a last place team in a horrible Sun Belt league, suddenly steps his game up so much. It makes no sense.

Why would any Iowa State fan expect a player to step up their game so much after a sit out year? Maybe because it has happened before

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Suddenly? Since when is sitting out a full year as a transfer sudden? I don't think anyone should be banking on him to be some sort of program savior. But is it that big of a stretch to think that he might be a much-improved player after a year sitting out and working on his game? I think he's at least a rotation guy next season and very possibly a starter depending on how the spring transfer market plays out.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I suppose if you think SMU, Illinois State and Loyola are decent. Zero power 5 squads.

For some odd reason I thought Marquette was in on him but I must be wrong. Who wanted Johnson? I don't think he was highly sought after either

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

I would be very surprised if Zion plays a bigger role than JJ.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Shayok, Babb, Burton, Jacobson, Lucious, Allen, Nader, Scottie C. Non sit outs you got Kane and Bolton

All of these guys were good players at a Power 6 school. Lucious, Allen, Babb, Shayok were already great players. They just became the focus. Jacobson is averaging 7.3 PPG this season. His last season at Nebraska he average 6 opints a game. and he actually averaged one more rebound a game at Nebraska.

Kane didn't get better. Kane was already great. He just had a bad attitude and got into trouble at his old school. Then was put on a team that was up tempo.

I am not saying Johnson won't get better. Just don't see how you think he goes from Being decent on a low level last place team to averaging 10-5 on a big 12 team. If he is getting that much playing time. We are in major trouble in my opinion.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
All of these guys were good players at a Power 6 school. Lucious, Allen, Babb, Shayok were already great players. They just became the focus. Jacobson is averaging 7.3 PPG this season. His last season at Nebraska he average 6 opints a game. and he actually averaged one more rebound a game at Nebraska.

Kane didn't get better. Kane was already great. He just had a bad attitude and got into trouble at his old school. Then was put on a team that was up tempo.

I am not saying Johnson won't get better. Just don't see how you think he goes from Being decent on a low level last place team to averaging 10-5 on a big 12 team. If he is getting that much playing time. We are in major trouble in my opinion.

Burton, Nader, Babb and Scottie were good players at P6 programs before they came to Iowa State?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

Aside from highlights I haven't watched him at all and have not made any predictions on his production next year. I find it stupid to be down on somebody you haven't watched in practice here or his games at his previous stop.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I'd be surprised if he's still here, frankly. Just seems like a situation that would benefit from a change in scenery.

Yeah I don’t think its good form to speculate on names but as I stated yesterday I would be shocked if we have less than 3 scholarships to fill in the spring.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

Well Nadar played in the Mid-American so last time I checked that wasn’t Power 5. Scotty C. averaged 1.3 points his Fr. year at Marquette. Burton averaged 6.9 and 6.4 points respectively his first two years at Marquette. Nick Babb averaged 0.7 points his Fr. year at Arkansas.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Yeah I don’t think its good form to speculate on names but as I stated yesterday I would be shocked if we have less than 3 scholarships to fill in the spring.

Attrition is the new normal for most programs. Players come and go. But you're dead-on that it's in poor taste to speculate. It does no good to identify potential or likely transfers midseason. That stuff will sort itself out later.