Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Some people just can't let sleeping dogs lie. e.g. the airplane reclining seat thread.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Rif = Reduction in force.

In a previous lifetime I was laid off three times from an architecture office in DSM and hired back twice. Getting laid off that third time was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. After the third I moved to Minnesota and only returned to Iowa for ISU games and some family stuff. Didn't learn the term RIF till I went to work for DoD. Didn't think it was really used outside the military or federal departments.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
In a previous lifetime I was laid off three times from an architecture office in DSM and hired back twice. Getting laid off that third time was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. After the third I moved to Minnesota and only returned to Iowa for ISU games and some family stuff. Didn't learn the term RIF till I went to work for DoD. Didn't think it was really used outside the military or federal departments.
Really? I think I have been hearing it in the tech world my entire career.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
It's why they don't allow guns on planes. Based on some of the ******** in that thread I think I should be allowed to conceal and carry as a senior. Maybe make me an air marshal.
According to some other threads anyone over the age of 60 should just be put down.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Its a really bad movie. I watched from 30 minutes in last night and had to stop when I started falling asleep again. It’s just a lot of f bombs and hit people killing themselves and is centered around a train terminal. I have about 20 minutes left and still have no idea what’s going on.

Margot Robbie is in it and that’s why I chose to watch it.
I had to google this. 20% on Rotten Tomatoes. Tag line: "Revenge never looked so good". It says Mike Myers is in it. Is this the Mike Myers of Wayne's World fame?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think every small town/district that goes through this is convinced their situation is different and all will survive. It can tear apart families and long-time friends. But you're right about needing to face reality. I'm glad I never had to personally go through that. Two middle schools? That's a lot of facilities $ wasted.
One campus for 5-8 and one main one for the rest. My HS closed going into my senior year, so you could say I’ve been through the worst case scenario. I transferred to a different school and turned out to be great for me.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
It's funny, when I was watching Bohemian Rhapsody they got to the part with Mike Myers and I said to myself why did they hire someone that looks like a Mike Myers character? Then I looked it up and it was a heavily made up Mike Myers. I just thought that was an odd casting decision.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BCClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's funny, when I was watching Bohemian Rhapsody they got to the part with Mike Myers and I said to myself why did they hire someone that looks like a Mike Myers character? Then I looked it up and it was a heavily made up Mike Myers. I just thought that was an add casting decision.
They wanted to get him in there as a nod to Mike Myers making a whole new generation of Bohemian Rhapsody fans in Wayne's World. They also liked the fun of having an actor who played a character revering the song in one role slamming it in another role.

Watch this keeping in mind that Myers was headbanging to the song in Wayne's World.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
They wanted to get him in there as a nod to Mike Myers making a whole new generation of Bohemian Rhapsody fans in Wayne's World. They also liked the fun of having an actor who played a character revering the song in one role slamming it in another role.

Watch this keeping in mind that Myer was headbanging to the song in Wayne's World.

I guess being older and remembering when that song was released I never thought of it that way.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
First it was poor advice from the daughters guidance counselor, now it’s a pretend we didn’t ask something. This inbred school is going to drive me nuts.

They have a second location for a middle school, although they could save 200-300k easily by going to one, they won’t. The smaller town had several run for the board just to keep it open because they think it will save their town. It won’t. So we have misguided individuals willing to sacrifice the kids education to try to hold their dying town together. Wonderful. The superintendent is a local and he told me he won’t touch that because he doesn’t want to tick people off. About ready to run just to play with the mouth breathers.

Two middle schools for how many students? Ames has one middle school for a little over 1000.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Two middle schools for how many students? Ames has one middle school for a little over 1000.

No, they have two locations. One for the 5-8 middle school and one for the prek-4 and high school. They would need to add a different gymnasium, probably fix the two lockerrooms on the second gym, add maybe 4-6 class rooms and they would probably have what they need. They could eliminate a lot of transportation, repairs of a very old building, one administrator, one cook, a janitor, a grounds person and the equipment needed; and that is jut the start. That is why I say it's an easy 200-300k savings. You can get everything in one location and have a newer facility. They have several people moving back and forth (music, band, PE instructors, maybe art) and a couple people doing some of this and some of that, a couple are ready to retire. They could just absorb those with one facility and you are talking now like pushing 400-500k in savings. 10 years and that new construction is paid for.

• Informative
Reactions: cycloneG
Status
Not open for further replies.