Status
Not open for further replies.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Well, older than you is a pretty unfair standard to have to achieve to simply be considered elderly.

;)
I figured I'd get slammed for that question, but I honestly do wonder. I mean, he's as crabby as my 95 year old father, but far more computer literate.

And for the record, when you have a father that is 95, you really don't think of yourself as "elderly" when you're 30 years younger than him. Of course, EVERYone's perspective on "elderly" changes as they get older themselves. :D

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I figured I'd get slammed for that question, but I honestly do wonder. I mean, he's as crabby as my 95 year old father, but far more computer literate.

And for the record, when you have a father that is 95, you really don't think of yourself as "elderly" when you're 30 years younger than him. Of course, EVERYone's perspective on "elderly" changes as they get older themselves. :D
Just messing with you. Seriously though, what makes someone elderly can have as much to do with health, mobility and cognitive sharpness as it does chronological age.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Just messing with you. Seriously though, what makes someone elderly can have as much to do with health, mobility and cognitive sharpness as it does chronological age.
I suppose. But he seems mentally sharp (if somewhat overly entitled), yet he referred to himself as elderly. And you've met me - my mobility ain't all that grand thanks to my lumbar scoliosis and the arthritis in my thumbs & knees. So I feel like he and I are in somewhat comparable life situations...but I don't think of myself as elderly.

Meh.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Verbatim text convo with my daughter this morning:

"I just signed up for track. Is that ok?"
"Sure. Are you wanting to run the 400?"
"High jump"
"High jump?"
"yeah"
"Have you ever seen the high jump before"
"no"
"This feels like something you put a lot of thought into"
"Molly and Meghan are doing it too."
"You know you have to be able to jump high right?"
"I CAN JUMP!!"
"You have the vertical of an elephant"
"Dad!"
"I'm sure you'll do great. I don't suppose Nick is taking track, is he?

"maybe"

"
200.webp
"

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012

"High jump"
"High jump?"
"yeah"
"no"
"I CAN JUMP!!"
"Dad!"

"maybe"

"
200.webp
"

How old is she?

Edit: I don't mean anything inappropriate by asking.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
2pm vs. TT
Lew isn't here right now, but I think we're probably going to have to pass. Bell choir is playing at church Sunday morning, then we go to potluck lunch with a group of friends (we rotate hosting), which usually goes till around 2 or 3 depending on how gabby we get, then I have choir rehearsal from 6.30 to 9.00. I'm afraid throwing the game in the middle of all that will be unnecessary additional stress. :(
Thanks though!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

"High jump"
"High jump?"
"yeah"
"no"
"I CAN JUMP!!"
"Dad!"

"maybe"

"
200.webp
"
Funny.

She may surprise you, though. My daughter had never been on Nordic skis and she went out for it. She ended up one of the better first year skiiers by season end. Her coach was already working on her for next year. Now I just have to convince her to go out again next year. She could be pretty good at it. Maybe the trick will be to remind her that the Nordic coach is also the varsity soccer coach and sticking with Nordic may tip the scales in her favor when it comes to making the varsity soccer team a year or two down the road.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I suppose. But he seems mentally sharp (if somewhat overly entitled), yet he referred to himself as elderly. And you've met me - my mobility ain't all that grand thanks to my lumbar scoliosis and the arthritis in my thumbs & knees. So I feel like he and I are in somewhat comparable life situations...but I don't think of myself as elderly.

Meh.
I thought that there were several people who were essentially saying if you ever recline your seat at all you are a callous, terrible human being who cares about nobody else and I thought that might have set him off.

That thread is a ridiculous black or white, no gray area thread - kind of like many of the basketball threads.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well RTTer's

Anybody need a pair of good WBB tkts for Sun at let me know and I'll transfer them to you. Work is interfering for me.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Funny.

She may surprise you, though. My daughter had never been on Nordic skis and she went out for it. She ended up one of the better first year skiiers by season end. Her coach was already working on her for next year. Now I just have to convince her to go out again next year. She could be pretty good at it. Maybe the trick will be to remind her that the Nordic coach is also the varsity soccer coach and sticking with Nordic may tip the scales in her favor when it comes to making the varsity soccer team a year or two down the road.

Oh I know. She'll probably be decent at it. She's got good leg strength and lower-body coordination from years of soccer. And she's pretty determined and athletic. Last summer she decided she wanted to try volleyball and picked it up pretty quickly.

I just found it amusing that she was all "I'm gonna do high jump" without ever having seen it being done before. I figured there was an ulterior motive nestled in there somewhere.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Plenty of time to learn the high jump. High jump in middle school and high school at most levels is as much about technique as it is about athletic ability. I was pretty uncoordinated so I could never high jump and had to settle for the long jump.

I'm just happy she's willing to try new things. I'm fine if she wants to try any sport or club. She has more opportunities available than I had, and I want her to feel them out. She's pretty serious about soccer, so the rest of the things are mostly for the social benefits. I remind her that sports are supposed to be fun.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Oh I know. She'll probably be decent at it. She's got good leg strength and lower-body coordination from years of soccer. And she's pretty determined and athletic. Last summer she decided she wanted to try volleyball and picked it up pretty quickly.

I just found it amusing that she was all "I'm gonna do high jump" without ever having seen it being done before. I figured there was an ulterior motive nestled in there somewhere.
Ask her if she thinks she can do this.

giphy.gif

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm just happy she's willing to try new things. I'm fine if she wants to try any sport or club. She has more opportunities available than I had, and I want her to feel them out. She's pretty serious about soccer, so the rest of the things are mostly for the social benefits. I remind her that sports are supposed to be fun.
Sacrilege! Sports be serious bidness.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron