WBB: Cyclones vs Sooners 2:00 p.m. on Cyclone.TV

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The two longest tenured coaches in the Big 12 will battle it out today.

AMES, Iowa - The Iowa State women's basketball team (13-8, 5-5, Big 12) continues its two-game home stand in Hilton Coliseum as it squares off with Oklahoma (12-10, 5-5 Big 12) on Saturday, Feb. 8 at 2 p.m. on Cyclones.tv. The Cyclones trail the all-time series 40-26, but lead OU 15-13 in Hilton Coliseum. Iowa State is looking to avoid the sweep, having lost at OU, 81-72.

Where: Hilton Coliseum - Ames, Iowa
When: Saturday, Feb. 8 at 2 p.m.
Projected Starting Lineup: Rae Johnson, Maggie Espenmiller-McGraw, Ashley Joens, Adriana Camber, Kristin Scott
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: Chris Williams, Molly Parrott
TV: Cyclones.tv

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Some Sooner notes.
  • They are coming of of a sweep of WVU.
  • Taylor Robertson has been named Big 12 Co-Player of the Week, the conference announced Monday.
  • Taylor Robertson is leading the league in scoring in conference play at 20.8.
RealTime RPI Predictor:
realtimerpi ou vs isu.png

And from Sooners site:

FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
• The Sooners will look to complete the fourth season sweep of ISU in the last five seasons after beating the Cyclones 81-72 in Norman on Jan. 11.

• OU is coming off a 68-58 victory over West Virginia in its most recent contest. The Sooners locked down on defense to hold West Virginia to 39.7% shooting and kept the Mountaineers' leading scorers below their season averages, only allowing Kysre Gondrezick 13 and Tynice Martin 12 points. The Sooners forced 17 WVU turnovers and had eight steals, with Madi Williams tallying four of those.

• Junior guard Ana Llanusa scored her 1,000th career point during OU's win over WVU. Llanusa, in just her second game back after missing six games due to injury, led the way for the Sooners with 19 points and reached the milestone on her 17th point of the night. Llanusa became the 36th player in program history to score 1,000 and the 17th player to achieve the feat in three or fewer seasons.

• Saturday's matchup is sure to be a shootout as it pits two of the Big 12's top five scoring offenses against each other, as well as the league's top two scorers. OU is averaging 76.73 points per game to rank third, while Iowa State averages 75.81 for fourth in the league. The Cyclones' Ashley Joens is the Big 12's top scorer with a 21.48 PPG average and OU's Taylor Robertson is right behind at 20.32. The teams are tied for fourth place in the Big 12 at 5-5 against the league.

• Robertson was named Big 12 Co-Player of the Week after her performance at Kansas on Feb. 2. Robertson, who was celebrating her birthday on Feb. 2, scored 25 of her 31 points in the second half and overtime to lead OU to victory. Her five 3-pointers all came after the first half, when OU was held scoreless beyond the arc. She also went 12-for-12 from the charity stripe.

• Informative
Reactions: Buster28

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
There will be a short recognition some time during the game (or before) of Bill’s 25 years here. Learned that at a CALS reception this morning.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
38-27 at the halftime. Sooners were in foul trouble and we have three in double figures for the 11 point lead. A banked in lucky three by Camber stretched the lead to doubles at the horn. Only 6 turnovers after having five early in the 2nd. Pretty solid half by ISU even with us attempting 20 three pointers against a team we have a size advantage over. Bet we see less of that after the half.

Our preferred kind of game to, OU not playing much or very good defense. Bet we see Sooners try and dial that up some in the 3rd.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well, poop. Joens looks to have dislocated her left shoulder and just left the game. At least it looks like that's what happened. At least it's her left.

Edit: Damn, and she's back in the game? :eek:

Last edited:

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
For those watching on tv, what’s up with Ashley? No idea here in Hilton. She’s now back on the bench.

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
Looked like she hurt her shoulder. But evidently not as bad as it initially looked. I feared we had lost her for the season when I saw it.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
There will be a short recognition some time during the game (or before) of Bill’s 25 years here. Learned that at a CALS reception this morning.

Take it this must of happened before the game. I got the the game with 4 minutes left till the game started.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Take it this must of happened before the game. I got the the game with 4 minutes left till the game started.
Actually, we were there well ahead of game time and never saw it. Apparently someone at the reception had wrong info.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Actually, we were there well ahead of game time and never saw it. Apparently someone at the reception had wrong info.
I believe it's now scheduled for the 29th. From what I've heard, there has been some moving of autograph signing dates and that moved the CBF tribute as well. I don't know the reasoning behind it - just what I heard from someone in-the-know.

• Informative
Reactions: riceville98

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Good win, good first half, good noisy crowd (lower bowl filled in nicely compared to some games lately). Lots o' slop in the second half, losing a 15 point lead to go down by 4, only to come back and win by 4.

Ashley signed autographs after the game and she had ice wrapped around her left shoulder (she was quite happy to be right-handed). It was dislocated, but they popped it back in place. Obviously not as bad as it seemed at first, since she *did* return to the game. But I'm sure it hurt like heck when it happened.

Better on free throws this time (14-18). Not so great on 3 point shots (7-32). ISU attempted 65 shots, 32 of them were from long-range. Of the 21 *made* shots, 7 were 3s. Turnovers were down, which is always good (15). Only 3 bench points yesterday (all by Nez), which is not ideal.

This morning, Realtime has ISU moved up to 53 with a 27 SOS. There are seven games remaining before KC: four on the road, three at home. Next two are at Texas and at TCU. This team KNOWS they can play with both those programs this year since the final margins were close in Hilton. It would be great to steal one of those road games. Then, it's Tech here, at KSU, WVU here, @Kansas, and Baylor for ISU senior night. Realtime has us losing at Kansas, which is alway a possibility, but the rest are projected reasonably and show a finish of 9-9. I'm not sure that gets us into the NCAAs. 10-8 plus a win in KC would make me feel much more confident about making the field.

ISU is now alone in 4th place at 6-5.

Reactions: ISC

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Good win, good first half, good noisy crowd (lower bowl filled in nicely compared to some games lately). Lots o' slop in the second half, losing a 15 point lead to go down by 4, only to come back and win by 4.

Ashley signed autographs after the game and she had ice wrapped around her left shoulder (she was quite happy to be right-handed). It was dislocated, but they popped it back in place. Obviously not as bad as it seemed at first, since she *did* return to the game. But I'm sure it hurt like heck when it happened.

Better on free throws this time (14-18). Not so great on 3 point shots (7-32). ISU attempted 65 shots, 32 of them were from long-range. Of the 21 *made* shots, 7 were 3s. Turnovers were down, which is always good (15). Only 3 bench points yesterday (all by Nez), which is not ideal.

This morning, Realtime has ISU moved up to 53 with a 27 SOS. There are seven games remaining before KC: four on the road, three at home. Next two are at Texas and at TCU. This team KNOWS they can play with both those programs this year since the final margins were close in Hilton. It would be great to steal one of those road games. Then, it's Tech here, at KSU, WVU here, @Kansas, and Baylor for ISU senior night. Realtime has us losing at Kansas, which is alway a possibility, but the rest are projected reasonably and show a finish of 9-9. I'm not sure that gets us into the NCAAs. 10-8 plus a win in KC would make me feel much more confident about making the field.

ISU is now alone in 4th place at 6-5.

If we had dropped this one we would have needed an upset somewhere to get to 9-9. Take one we are not favored in now and we can get to 10-8 which should get us in even with the league not garnishing much respect. Even a 9-9 with Joens still playing well and getting good PR does help. It isn't all objective RPI stuff, picks are made by people in the end. 9-9 with a name player trumps 9-9 without one if all other things are relatively equal but 9-9 would most definitely be bubble land. Not been convinced that the conference tournaments affect picks that much other than scrambling some of the mid-majors eggs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron