Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Nordic involves ski jumps? Doesn't seem like you'd have the right kinds of boots & binders for that kind of stress on the ankles...
Of course the equipment is totally different. It is my understanding that cross country skis (particularly skate skis) are the narrowest skis and ski jump skis are the widest skis (widest snow skis, that is) so they catch the most air and work as an airfoil.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I reiterated some rules about how she will be participating in NO weekend activities until her homework is completely done for the foreseeable future. She better earn back some trust before we get back around to football season, etc. because she is going to miss a lot of Friday night games because of homework if this continues.

I handle pretty much all high school math and science - not because Mrs. Velo can't but because she doesn't want to - we split pretty much all middle school work and other high school stuff. I do proofread papers but ultimately Mrs. Velo has the final look on all papers. Like last night I took an initial look at daughter's paper when it was about 75% done then Mrs. Velo looked it over this morning before it was submitted on line.

Ours has had to learn time management since about middle school when she was playing club softball, club volleyball, school softball and school volleyball with overlaps at times plus homework plus practicing her saxophone. She only plays club softball now outside of school but homework comes first. On the upside, she has no desire for a social life (boyfriend or even going out with friends) so she has some “free” time. Ha! She is the HS marching band drum major so she can’t miss Friday night football home games. ;) She is one of those obsessed with her grades and does not let her grades fall much below 98%.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Had the same pair of wooden Kneissl blue stars for years. Long skis...185cm. When I was first learning to ski, they measured the ski by stretching your arm straight up, and the tip should reach to your wrist. Nowadays, everyone skis on shorter skis made of fiberglass and other compounds. I wouldn't trade my blue stars for anything...I could ski just fine on them.

Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ours has had to learn time management since about middle school when she was playing club softball, club volleyball, school softball and school volleyball with overlaps at times plus homework plus practicing her saxophone. She only plays club softball now outside of school but homework comes first. On the upside, she has no desire for a social life (boyfriend or even going out with friends) so she has some “free” time. Ha! She is the HS marching band drum major so she can’t miss Friday night football home games. ;) She is one of those obsessed with her grades and does not let her grades fall much below 98%.

Our oldest went from not caring at all about grades and being a struggle to hold things together to being Johnny on the spot and nonstop grades at ISU. If he keeps it up this semester he will have a great base under himself for the last two years

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Had the same pair of wooden Kneissl blue stars for years. Long skis...185cm. When I was first learning to ski, they measured the ski by stretching your arm straight up, and the tip should reach to your wrist. Nowadays, everyone skis on shorter skis made of fiberglass and other compounds. I wouldn't trade my blue stars for anything...I could ski just fine on them.
I had to snicker when I realized that the height to your wrist when extended as high as you could is to the top of my head.

I know, I know, you can still reach high enough to slap me. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and jcyclonee

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It has been a busy year for her as well. She had fall school soccer immediately followed by Nordic (school) and indoor soccer (club). She is glad that Nordic is ending because back to back practices on a night is tough when there is homework as well. She also has confirmation classes and had a boyfriend for about a term. She is conscientious about her grades (straight A all through middle school) but she has my bad habit of procrastinating. I have tried to tell her that the procrastination is what killed me in college but she doesn't listen (i.e. is a teenager).

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Is she the one hoping for Vet school? If so she is off to a great start,

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I had to snicker when I realized that the height to your wrist when extended as high as you could is to the top of my head.

I know, I know, you can still reach high enough to slap me. ;)
My threat has always been that I bite kneecaps. :D
And yes, I realize the humor in it! But before I gave up skiing, I used to laugh at the looks I would get from all these tall guys with skis shorter than mine. :D

Reactions: NWICY
Status
Not open for further replies.