Twister Sister Summary - Cruise control

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The ladies got off to a good start playing solid zone defense and being aggressive on offense. The big problem is they kept missing shots or turning the ball over. They had lots of opportunities to blow this game open early. Kansas couldn’t buy a shot and Iowa State dominated the defensive boards.

With a miracle over the shoulder toss for 3 by Maggie the first ended 18-6. It didn’t seem like the game was that close. And strangely this ended an 0-6 three point effort.

When I watch Thurmon, everyone should realize by now that when she drives everyone should be moving into position for a pass. Too often our players react a second too late and it leads to a turnover. Man is she quick off the first step!

Second quarter saw KU start to hit a few shots. We couldn’t expect them to shoot 18% the whole game! ISU kept them at arms length the entire time. Jade made some nice plays with her quickness and ISU's offense was working inside and out. Maggie especially started to gain confidence from deep and AC continues to shoot well. At the half the lead was stretched just a bit to 18 as the ladies led 47-29. My thought was...what will the dreaded third quarter bring?

Always good to see Molly at the table. She’s always so good.

The second half started with a bang and my fears of another bad third vanished. I probably sat there with a silly grin on my face as I watched the offensive fireworks. Maggie and AC continued to rain threes on the Jayhawks. ISU was able to run a few different lineups and give breaks to key players. Besides the outside shooting, it appeared Maggie was gaining confidence. She played solid defense and got aggressive on offense. She had a particularly pretty drive in the third. A 31 point lead is where things stood at that point.

The fourth started off pretty ugly. Lots of missed shots and turnovers again. Didn’t take long for KU to cut into the lead by 7. Our defense just seemed to be lacking and the offense was messy. Of course some of that had to do with the lineup changes. It was a pretty even game the rest of the way as all the starters were on the bench. Unlike years past, the lead didn’t evaporate. Yes, KU cut into it, but the game was never in doubt.

In the end the ISU three point deluge was too much for a team that looked like a last place squad. I don’t know how they played Texas so tough. The real tests begin as ISU goes to Baylor and then travels to WVU. That’s lots of miles and against two of the best the league has to offer. I don’t know what to expect, but am looking forward to a more confident sisters team in these tests.

Thoughts...

Camber - one of the best all around games I’ve seen from her. Rebounding, scoring, defense. It was all there.

Joens - she just keeps doing what she does. She’s the blue collar worker on this team and she bangs with the best of them.

Espenmiller-McGraw - this was like a coming out party for Maggie. She did everything today leading the team in scoring with a hot shooting hand. She contributed in many ways that don’t show up on the stat sheet

Scott - we are consistently seeing the Scott we remembered from last year. She is scoring inside and out while playing solid D and grabbing boards.

Thurmon - she has changed this team and how they function. Yes the turnovers are there (as discussed above), but she changes things.

Free Throws. We didn’t shoot a lot, but had more misses than I care for.

Overall a solid game with exceptional three point shooting. Def fun for the fans.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I wish Jade was not a senior this year. She gives us a different look on offense that other teams aren't prepared for. When she zips to the basket, it's like the D is in slow motion around her. You can see it collapsing, but usually not in time. As mentioned above, ISU needs to be prepared to catch that pass when the lane closes on her. I kinda love that she's somewhat of a secret weapon that can be used to confuse the other side.

This was a fun game to watch, for sure. With MEM's circus shot at the end of the first, Kane tossing up a prayer on a foul and it dropping right through the net, and 14 three pointers going in after the first six attempts all whiffed, the bball gods were smiling on Hilton yesterday. ISU shot 14-24 from long range for the game. When you take out the missed shots before the first make, the team went 14 of 18 for the rest of the game - that's getting into "holy sh**" territory! :eek::)

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I wish Jade was not a senior this year. She gives us a different look on offense that other teams aren't prepared for. When she zips to the basket, it's like the D is in slow motion around her. You can see it collapsing, but usually not in time. As mentioned above, ISU needs to be prepared to catch that pass when the lane closes on her. I kinda love that she's somewhat of a secret weapon that can be used to confuse the other side.

This was a fun game to watch, for sure. With MEM's circus shot at the end of the first, Kane tossing up a prayer on a foul and it dropping right through the net, and 14 three pointers going in after the first six attempts all whiffed, the bball gods were smiling on Hilton yesterday. ISU shot 14-24 from long range for the game. When you take out the missed shots before the first make, the team went 14 of 18 for the rest of the game - that's getting into "holy sh**" territory! :eek::)

MEM's shot was right in front of us with the best view behind opposing bench, but I got caught looking down and missed it. :(

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
MEM's shot was right in front of us with the best view behind opposing bench, but I got caught looking down and missed it. :(
Aww, man!! I know the shot is on the team's twitter feed somewhere. You can hear somebody (who may possibly be Molly, but can't tell for sure) making a giddily weird sound as the shot goes in.

Found it!

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Aww, man!! I know the shot is on the team's twitter feed somewhere. You can hear somebody (who may possibly be Molly, but can't tell for sure) making a giddily weird sound as the shot goes in.

Found it!

Yeah I saw that and that is the angle that replay will show but to have missed seeing the play from the view I had behind the shot is going to haunt me.

Reactions: Buster28

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Found it!

Yes, that was Molly and she actually sort of apologied because she's usually so objective and thought she was treading intot he play-by-play but we can give her a pass on this one for sure. The fact she was later saying "oops" just shows what a pro she is.

• Agree

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Yes, that was Molly and she actually sort of apologied because she's usually so objective and thought she was treading intot he play-by-play but we can give her a pass on this one for sure. The fact she was later saying "oops" just shows what a pro she is.
That's why I wasn't sure if it was her - seemed so uncharacteristic!! Sometimes, it's fun to hear a genuine reaction like that in a broadcast. :)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Sort of goes to Molly's comment yesterday that the staff is picking minutes and moments where she can be successful. She's in and out of games before the defenses can adjust although some of the Big 12 defense from the bottom teams is pretty bad. She actually went to her left on a drive :eek: and scored from the left on it, something I've been watching for because it's usually all right, right, right and more right. She is crazy fast with the ball but has some distinct tendencies.

• Agree

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yeah I saw that and that is the angle that replay will show but to have missed seeing the play from the view I had behind the shot is going to haunt me.

Shouldn't be posting here during games! ;)

• Funny
Reactions: farm85