Bowen Born

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Way I see it, he has developed his senior year into that Power-6 type of recruit. Iowa has players with his size and half the athleticism ie Bohannon for starters. CJ Fredrick is a little taller, sure, but he is not near as athletic. These players we sit and laugh at, guys like Phil Forte and Keiton Page we mock for being short and white and slow, but then they light us up when we play them. How about Will Spradling for Kansas State a few years back? The guy was terrible, flat footed on defense and couldn't move with the ball...until he could all of a sudden and have career nights against ISU.

News flash! Short white guys can ball at high levels too.

I lose faith in ISU fans every day. This post is today’s reason. You know who else has burned us? Tall black guys. Perry Ellis, Buddy Hield, Marcus Smart, Kevin Durant.
So I’m not sure what kind of white Iowa pride point you are trying to make here.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I state this above, but just reiterate the fact that while there would have been risk in recruiting him given his lack of other high major offers and small stature, you can't deny that in every class dating back to I can remember (Eustachy era) there have been 1-2 misses per recruiting class on average. Only one that jumps out at me where there wasn't a miss was the class with Monte and Matt. If you know you're going to have misses, why not let the talented kid from Iowa have a go at either being one of those misses or surprising you? McDermott tried in '07 with Clayton Vette and it didn't work out. Big deal, that same recruiting class had a Craig Brackins and Diante Garrett in it.
Who would you rather miss on.. A 6'5 3 star PG with 4 other P5 offers, or a 5'11" 2 star with 0 P5 offers? Clayton Vette was a miss because he didn't fit in at Iowa State and wanted more of a small school feel. It had nothing to do with his on the court abilities. He went to Winona State and was player of the year in Division 2 and has actually had a great career over seas.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
It happens all the time.

Recruits committed to other schools. Sure. Signed by other schools? Nope. Welcome to NCAA rules violations.

***Let's see...Iowa State...I dont see you on the blue blood list. Whats that? Big 12....hmm...we have pending sanctions against a Big 12 school. Guess what Iowa State? You get the sanctions that should be going to KU along with sanctions for tampering. Good day.***

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
How many times are there not misses in a recruiting class? I've been paying attention

There are going to be misses. We're going to miss on guys we think will come in and contribute. You're suggesting that we don't take somebody that we think will contribute and give that scholarship to somebody that has no other P5 offers? And hope that's our miss for the class? Or do we now have to 2 or more guys that are misses because we gave a local kid a scholarship?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Way I see it, he has developed his senior year into that Power-6 type of recruit. Iowa has players with his size and half the athleticism ie Bohannon for starters. CJ Fredrick is a little taller, sure, but he is not near as athletic. These players we sit and laugh at, guys like Phil Forte and Keiton Page we mock for being short and white and slow, but then they light us up when we play them. How about Will Spradling for Kansas State a few years back? The guy was terrible, flat footed on defense and couldn't move with the ball...until he could all of a sudden and have career nights against ISU.

Spradling got recruited by Virginia, Virginia Tech, and was offered by Kansas State and UNLV.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
There are going to be misses. We're going to miss on guys we think will come in and contribute. You're suggesting that we don't take somebody that we think will contribute and give that scholarship to somebody that has no other P5 offers? And hope that's our miss for the class? Or do we now have to 2 or more guys that are misses because we gave a local kid a scholarship?

Ya because he might score his career high against us one or two times. Those two games(that I don’t think are even happening anymore) over the entire program. I’ll never forgive Chris Williams for bringing this “nut cup culture” in to ISU athletics. **** that ********.

• Winner
Reactions: jsb and IASTATE07

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Tell that to Spud Webb, Allen Iverson and Muggsy Bogues, but they never played at a very high level with great tall athletes against them. If you can play you can play. Somehow he will light us up in a couple of years just like the Iowa basketball players have done to us. All the while we make fun of them for not being tall, athletic or ginger.
Google "outlier"

• Winner
Reactions: TheHonestCycloneFan

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

I feel like you aren't a real person.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
This is exactly the type of kid that we pass on who ends up at UNI then absolutely shreds us when we play them 3 years later.

And I'm not even saying we should offer the kid. Go get your guys Prohm. I don't care if we take Born.

But you gotta laugh (painfully) at how often UNI lands these under the radar type Iowa kids that nobody wanted and they turn around and beat us with them. David Johnson and Wes Washpun come to mind

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
This is exactly the type of kid that we pass on who ends up at UNI then absolutely shreds us when we play them 3 years later.

And I'm not even saying we should offer the kid. Go get your guys Prohm. I don't care if we take Born.

But you gotta laugh (painfully) at how often UNI lands these under the radar type Iowa kids that nobody wanted and they turn around and beat us with them. David Johnson and Wes Washpun come to mind

I dont know that Washpun qualifies as under the radar. He had an Iowa offer and went to Tennessee before transferring to UNI.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I dont know that Washpun qualifies as under the radar. He had an Iowa offer and went to Tennessee before transferring to UNI.

He was originally a Missouri State commit and followed Cuonzo to Tennessee. Dude worked his tail off and became a better player than he had any business being. Literally could not shoot the basketball when he got to Cedar Falls, like would miss everything consistently. Could. Not. Shoot.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
He was originally a Missouri State commit and followed Cuonzo to Tennessee. Dude worked his tail off and became a better player than he had any business being. Literally could not shoot the basketball when he got to Cedar Falls, like would miss everything consistently. Could. Not. Shoot.

Still had a P6 offer in Iowa. Anyone that has a P6 offer by definition isn't under the radar. Regardless of where they end up committing to.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

We don't play UNI so sleep well.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I still have sleepless nights from when Iowa might have taken Tyreke Locure a couple years back.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Flame away all you want. I'll know what thread to refer back to in a couple years when he's tearing it up at UNI