Phil Forte

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He is ridiculous at shooting at basketball. Which if you have seen us play lately is something we need. He also shoots most of this three pointers from NBA range in high school. Also, please see Phil Forte for someone who is the same size and was ridiculous at shooting and playing the game.

Saying that I will say this. He seemed like a UNI recruit before this year started. I think he has gotten to be a big 12 recruit. Just because no high majors offered does not mean he won't be good. High Majors miss on kids like him all the time.

One other thing. His dad was underrecruited and got way better after going to Nebraska Omaha for 2 years. So we shall see how Bowen does at UNI.
Phil Forte had offers from OSU, Iowa, KU, Kansas State, TCU, and Texas Tech. He was also getting looked at by Nova and USC.

I'm not saying that Bowen Born is going to be bad or that there's no way he would be able to ever play at a high major school, but there are a small sample size of players like Phil Forte that have been able to do what he did.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Give Grill a year. He is very athletic. I won’t be surprised either way with him. I lean towards him being a good player.

I would be happy if Grill transferred to wide out for our football team. Then again I am not giving up on him in basketball. It's a hard ask for a Freshman to not know if he is playing at all or getting minutes. That type of player needs to get into a rythem and so far he has not got on the court long enough. I think more touches and getting more comfortable will really help him like it did Clayton Custer.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
He is ridiculous at shooting at basketball. Which if you have seen us play lately is something we need. He also shoots most of this three pointers from NBA range in high school. Also, please see Phil Forte for someone who is the same size and was ridiculous at shooting and playing the game.

Saying that I will say this. He seemed like a UNI recruit before this year started. I think he has gotten to be a big 12 recruit. Just because no high majors offered does not mean he won't be good. High Majors miss on kids like him all the time.

One other thing. His dad was underrecruited and got way better after going to Nebraska Omaha for 2 years. So we shall see how Bowen does at UNI.
If he was his dad's size he would have had higher offers.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
Yes, because being guarded by and guarding 6'1" or under guards from DCG and Pella is the same as being guarded by and guarding 6'2"- 6'4" guards from Baylor and Kansas.

The likelihood that at his size he'd be able to play at the Big 12 or Big 10 level on a nightly basis is very slim. People rag on Prohm all the time for recruiting misses but some think taking a 5'11" kid is the answer to our scoring problems bc he can really score in Iowa 3A basketball?

Tell that to Spud Webb, Allen Iverson and Muggsy Bogues, but they never played at a very high level with great tall athletes against them. If you can play you can play. Somehow he will light us up in a couple of years just like the Iowa basketball players have done to us. All the while we make fun of them for not being tall, athletic or ginger.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Tell that to Spud Webb, Allen Iverson and Muggsy Bogues, but they never played at a very high level with great tall athletes against them. If you can play you can play. Somehow he will light us up in a couple of years just like the Iowa basketball players have done to us. All the while we make fun of them for not being tall, athletic or ginger.
So you're attributing Bowen Born to Spud Webb, who went to NCST, was NCAA All region and went pro. Muggsy Bogues, who went to Wake Forest, was all ACC, and went pro. And then Allen Iverson, who was an all american, an 11 time NBA all star, and arguably one of the most influential basketball players of all time? Lol alright.

We also will not play UNI unless we play them in the post season, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

When do we play UNI next??? Also comparing Bowen Born to AI is pretty laughable.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006

oh my god

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Way I see it, he has developed his senior year into that Power-6 type of recruit. Iowa has players with his size and half the athleticism ie Bohannon for starters. CJ Fredrick is a little taller, sure, but he is not near as athletic. These players we sit and laugh at, guys like Phil Forte and Keiton Page we mock for being short and white and slow, but then they light us up when we play them. How about Will Spradling for Kansas State a few years back? The guy was terrible, flat footed on defense and couldn't move with the ball...until he could all of a sudden and have career nights against ISU.

News flash! Short white guys can ball at high levels too.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Way I see it, he has developed his senior year into that Power-6 type of recruit. Iowa has players with his size and half the athleticism ie Bohannon for starters. CJ Fredrick is a little taller, sure, but he is not near as athletic. These players we sit and laugh at, guys like Phil Forte and Keiton Page we mock for being short and white and slow, but then they light us up when we play them. How about Will Spradling for Kansas State a few years back? The guy was terrible, flat footed on defense and couldn't move with the ball...until he could all of a sudden and have career nights against ISU.

News flash! Short white guys can ball at high levels too.

So which one of our 4 signees do you propose we cut ties with in order to tamper with and attempt to woo Born? The 6'5" PG we signed? One of the 2 6'6"-6'8" wings? Or the 6'11-7' consensus best player in the state even if he doesnt win Mr. Basketball forward?

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
You know we've hit peak CF stupid when we're discussing if a 5'11" white guy from Norwalk is potentially going to be the savior of our basketball program.
After he gives up a scholarship and walks on. Seems like a workable plan. :)

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Yes, because being guarded by and guarding 6'1" or under guards from DCG and Pella is the same as being guarded by and guarding 6'2"- 6'4" guards from Baylor and Kansas.

The likelihood that at his size he'd be able to play at the Big 12 or Big 10 level on a nightly basis is very slim. People rag on Prohm all the time for recruiting misses but some think taking a 5'11" kid is the answer to our scoring problems bc he can really score in Iowa 3A basketball?
I state this above, but just reiterate the fact that while there would have been risk in recruiting him given his lack of other high major offers and small stature, you can't deny that in every class dating back to I can remember (Eustachy era) there have been 1-2 misses per recruiting class on average. Only one that jumps out at me where there wasn't a miss was the class with Monte and Matt. If you know you're going to have misses, why not let the talented kid from Iowa have a go at either being one of those misses or surprising you? McDermott tried in '07 with Clayton Vette and it didn't work out. Big deal, that same recruiting class had a Craig Brackins and Diante Garrett in it.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
So which one of our 4 signees do you propose we cut ties with in order to tamper with and attempt to woo Born? The 6'5" PG we signed? One of the 2 6'6"-6'8" wings? Or the 6'11-7' consensus best player in the state even if he doesnt win Mr. Basketball forward?
We don't have to cut ties with anyone. Throw him an offer in the spring after Tyrese declares for the draft

• Disagree
Reactions: CyDude16