Another 15 point loss

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't believe Pollard will fire Steve even with a 10 win record. The buyout number will trump the win total number for JP. Maybe at the end of next year if this continues.
In the meantime, maybe there's a P-5 spot that opens in the southeast.
I'm not sure there are any teams in the SEC that are going to fire their head coach this year. Seems like Alabama if Prohm was going to make that move, it would've happened last year.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
The 2020 class is long, athletic, and at least 3 out of the 4 of them can shoot the 3. We'll see how things shape out though.

Yeah, but Grill and Jackson were supposed to be 3 ball shooters too. Look how that turned out.

I think it almost has to be a mental block going on for all of these guys at this point. It is brutal.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Xavier Foster will be fascinating next year to see how he fares against legit competition. Not sure if launching 3's and dunking on 6 ft 1a Iowa kids is the best prep for college ball.

The good news is that at least Prohm will be able to quickly teach him defense and rebounding, as well as how to succeed with 2 post offense alongside an excellent big like Conditt.

• Funny
Reactions: xboxfever

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah, but Grill and Jackson were supposed to be 3 ball shooters too. Look how that turned out.
Absolutely correct. But I'm really not going to knock a kid for not being a good 3pt shooter in their first year of playing at this level. Matt Thomas was suppose to be an unreal shooter his freshman year but was average. These guys were suppose to be pretty good and have been bad.

Sometimes it can take a lot of time to get your shot down. I'll reserve my judgement of these freshman for the future.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Xavier Foster will be fascinating next year to see how he fares against legit competition. Not sure if launching 3's and dunking on 6 ft 1a Iowa kids is the best prep for college ball.

The good news is that at least Prohm will be able to quickly teach him defense and rebounding, as well as how to succeed with 2 post offense alongside an excellent big like Conditt.

He's not going to be in the post (on offense at least), which was one of the selling points of getting him here.

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You could tell the truth and still make the same point.
I'm also not sure what else he's suppose to do lol. Do you want him to shoot floaters and only layups? Obviously he could post those kids up all day long and he actually does quite a bit. There was a video circulating Twitter a week or two ago of him catching it on the block, did a drop step and tomahawked it with one hand. I'm not going to sit here and say he's the best player ever but he's 7-feet tall, he's athletic as hell, and he has the ability to step out and knock down a three. That's why he was highly recruited.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
I'm just as frustrated as the next guy. I was salivating over Iowa State being a sleeper pick and once again picked near the bottom only to find a way to be in the top tier of the Big 12. I'm eating crow. The offense has become shell of what it once was and it appears that we simply don't have any athleticism to compete with our conference schedule. But, if the ball finds the bottom of the bucket that all changes. I see a team with 0 confidence and players afraid to create their own shot.

But, I keep coming back to a simple point. I'm not sure what to do with Prohm. Fortunately I get the easy part of being frustrated when they lose and excited when they win. So my question is will we really get the best candidate possible if we fire a coach 1 year after he won the Big 12 Tournament title? Will a worthy coach want to come work for an organization who pulls the plug so quick? Will an athlete want to come play for an organization that pulls the plug so quick?

Because of this, Prohm will be back next year. Atleast because of what I just said I hope he is back next year. But man o man, coach, you better start finding a way to get the ball in the bottom of the hoop and compile some W's.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I think it almost has to be a mental block going on for all of these guys at this point. It is brutal.

Those guys will be fine shooters in time.

I'm sure it'll be of zero consolation to anyone but Torvik just put up a couple days ago a chart which showed basically strength of schedule. An elite team would be expected to lose 5-6 games with our schedule to date. I don't know if it was before or after TTU but it probably doesn't matter much as that's probably a 50/50 game for even an elite team, at best. I point this out just to show that while everyone is rightfully unhappy, in context our loss total in and of itself isn't an awful showing and the numbers guys kind of reflect that. I think we're 80 something to Torvik and Kenpom is 64 or something. I think the difference is in how they diminish the previous year stuff. Again, not great, not an argument to keep Prohm, just some outside context.

Also keep in mind that once we get past Baylor, things lighten up a little. I don't expect a huge run but there's certainly an easier schedule ahead and I think this team could find itself and some momentum to go to next year. I'm not saying they're making the tourney at all. They're not. My hope is that you see something click like we did in 2018, relatively speaking of course.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: simply1

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm just as frustrated as the next guy. I was salivating over Iowa State being a sleeper pick and once again picked near the bottom only to find a way to be in the top tier of the Big 12. I'm eating crow. The offense has become shell of what it once was and it appears that we simply don't have any athleticism to compete with our conference schedule. But, if the ball finds the bottom of the bucket that all changes. I see a team with 0 confidence and players afraid to create their own shot.

But, I keep coming back to a simple point. I'm not sure what to do with Prohm. Fortunately I get the easy part of being frustrated when they lose and excited when they win. So my question is will we really get the best candidate possible if we fire a coach 1 year after he won the Big 12 Tournament title? Will a worthy coach want to come work for an organization who pulls the plug so quick? Will an athlete want to come play for an organization that pulls the plug so quick?

Because of this, Prohm will be back next year. Atleast because of what I just said I hope he is back next year. But man o man, coach, you better start finding a way to get the ball in the bottom of the hoop and compile some W's.
Yeah I don't think you could've worded this any better.. because this is the reality of it. Jamie is not going to fire Prohm this year. An improved team next year that competes with everyone on a given night will show there was improvement and the program heading into the right direction.

I praised Prohm for his successful teams, and I'm now being critical of him for his struggling teams, which is what should be done. However, next year will be the one that Jamie puts a lot of weight into in my opinion. Because if he can't get it done in his 6th year, that'll be 3 years out of 6 where his teams have struggled, and only one of those years were years in which the roster was predominately his own players. I'm not saying we should've done better Prohm's first two years as I thought he did as well as he probably could've coming into a new program with that roster, but the current trend seems to be Prohm can recruit well one year and have some success followed by a year in which we struggle due to a variety of reasons.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Could happen but I'm not holding out any hope.
#Proveit
That's why I said we'll have to wait and see. But the three point shooting get any worse? I mean obviously it could as we're not technically the worst three point shooting team in the country, but I find it very hard to believe it will indeed be worse.

We're currently 290th out of 353 teams. Terrence Lewis is our second best three point shooter at 37%, except with how much he plays, he's only 7th on the team in attempts per game with 1.7. Mike Jacobson is shooting 33%, which is the third best on the team. He's actually averaging more attempts than Terrence with 1.8 per game.

I already threw this out there, but Prentiss puts up 5 threes a game, making him second on the team in attempts. Absolutely unreal. lol

For comparison to last year's team.. Shayok led the team in attempts with 5.4, then it was Lindell at 4.7, THT at 4.5, NWB at 3.4, Tyrese at 3.4, Lewis at 1.9, Griffin at 1.5, and Mike at 1.3.

Prentiss Nixon is averaging more three point attempts than Lindell, THT, NWB, and Tyrese did last year.

• Informative
Reactions: JBone84

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
That's why I said we'll have to wait and see. But the three point shooting get any worse? I mean obviously it could as we're not technically the worst three point shooting team in the country, but I find it very hard to believe it will indeed be worse.

We're currently 290th out of 353 teams. Terrence Lewis is our second best three point shooter at 37%, except with how much he plays, he's only 7th on the team in attempts per game with 1.7. Mike Jacobson is shooting 33%, which is the third best on the team. He's actually averaging more attempts than Terrence with 1.8 per game.

I already threw this out there, but Prentiss puts up 5 threes a game, making him second on the team in attempts. Absolutely unreal. lol

For comparison to last year's team.. Shayok led the team in attempts with 5.4, then it was Lindell at 4.7, THT at 4.5, NWB at 3.4, Tyrese at 3.4, Lewis at 1.9, Griffin at 1.5, and Mike at 1.3.

Prentiss Nixon is averaging more three point attempts than Lindell, THT, NWB, and Tyrese did last year.
Maybe they should practice their 3 point shooting in Hilton every day instead of the practice facility (probably can’t be done) That might help them when playing at home, but not on the road

• Funny
Reactions: Stereotype

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

You said you were holding out hope. Nothing wrong with that at all. I'm just not. I'm convinced that Prohm won't work here...it's just a matter of when, not if. I've been a Prohm guy since he was hired, until last month.

Hope I'm 100% wrong but in the meantime my energy and resources are no longer with basketball. I still want them to win. I don't want the decision to become easy by losing.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Maybe they should practice their 3 point shooting in Hilton every day instead of the practice facility (probably can’t be done) That might help them when playing at home, but not on the road
I've posted this a few times, but shooting / practicing at Hilton is not the problem. They have shoot around there all the time and guys are allowed to get into Hilton on their own.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You said you were holding out hope. Nothing wrong with that at all. I'm just not. I'm convinced that Prohm won't work here...it's just a matter of when, not if. I've been a Prohm guy since he was hired, until last month.

Hope I'm 100% wrong but in the meantime my energy and resources are no longer with basketball. I still want them to win. I don't want the decision to become easy by losing.
Something is going to have to change.. Coaching staff, recruiting tactics, etc. Prohm will not have a job here where one year you're making the tournament and the next year you get handled in the conference and lose to FAMU at home.

As I mentioned before, next year is probably the make or break year for Steve. We'll know whether or not something has changed. If it doesn't change, he's most likely gone.

clonehoodie

May 14, 2017
The Clones don't actually run an offense. It is all 1-on-1, and maybe pass for the 3. The other 4 rest.

It has been this way for many years.

And now the best transfers are going to other schools.

And the other 9 teams are actually getting better. Football too.

Being in the Big 12 isn't quite the deal it used to be.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The Clones don't actually run an offense. It is all 1-on-1, and maybe pass for the 3. The other 4 rest.

It has been this way for many years.

And now the best transfers are going to other schools.

And the other 9 teams are actually getting better. Football too.

Being in the Big 12 isn't quite the deal it used to be.
We've tied for 3rd or been 3rd outright 3 years in a row now in football.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt