Another 15 point loss

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
They've had multiple sweet 16 appearances before Beard.....not sure how that is literally no basketball history

That may have been hyperbole, but if we are treating Texas Tech as some kind of unascertainable basketball standard then we are in trouble. I get that schools like Duke, Kentucky, etc. can lose a ton of people and reload. But I don't think it's unreasonable to see what Tech was able to do this year after losing 75% of their scoring and say "see, it can be done."

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm thinking it would be more the "he let Cael, Fred and now Prohm get away" narrative

You really think that the fanbase held Prohm in anywhere near the same regard as Cael Sanderson after last year?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That may have been hyperbole, but if we are treating Texas Tech as some kind of unascertainable basketball standard then we are in trouble. I get that schools like Duke, Kentucky, etc. can lose a ton of people and reload. But I don't think it's unreasonable to see what Tech was able to do this year after losing 75% of their scoring and say "see, it can be done."

I think it comes down to having a plan for what you want for your program and Beard seems to be doing that.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You really think that the fanbase held Prohm in anywhere near the same regard as Cael Sanderson after last year?

No but they would have bunched him in that group to pile on. Don't be naive you know what I'm saying is 100% true

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I just think it's funny that we are a school that has always prided ourselves on our basketball program. A good tradition, great fans. We've put double-digit players in the NBA over the course of the last 5 years.

Yet despite this, all the sudden some people on here want to act like it's some impossibility to sustain success here. Like it's an unrealistic expectation to expect better than the bottom of the Big 12 2 out of the last 3 years.

This is a good basketball job. This is a traditionally good basketball program.

While we have a decent basketball history it's not as GREAT as many would have you believe.

Look at our history through a realistic lens at least.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
No but they would have bunched him in that group to pile on. Don't be naive you know what I'm saying is 100% true

I don't think it would have been anywhere near an unanimous as you stated. I think some would be disappointed, and some would be optimistic about the future under a new coach. While I think this year as greatly intensified people's feelings on Prohm, it's not like everyone was thrilled about him last year. I would say the book has very much been out on him for some time now.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
While we have a decent basketball history it's not as GREAT as many would have you believe.

Great, maybe not. But I still really believe this is a relatively desirable job and that there's no real excuse to be at the bottom of the Big 12 2 out of 3 years.

Again, 5 years ago we were a preseason Top 5 team. Now we are stuck in the bottom of the Big 12. You either think that's where this program belongs, or you think something needs to be done to change this.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Great, maybe not. But I still really believe this is a relatively desirable job and that there's no real excuse to be at the bottom of the Big 12 2 out of 3 years.

Again, 5 years ago we were a preseason Top 5 team. Now we are stuck in the bottom of the Big 12. You either think that's where this program belongs, or you think something needs to be done to change this.

I don't disagree. I am just sick of seeing people pump up this fake history for ISU basketball that never existed.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I don't think it would have been anywhere near an unanimous as you stated. I think some would be disappointed, and some would be optimistic about the future under a new coach. While I think this year as greatly intensified people's feelings on Prohm, it's not like everyone was thrilled about him last year. I would say the book has very much been out on him for some time now.

This years disaster would have been all on Pollard if he didn't extend him

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
Pollard doesn't extend Prohm, he leaves to go to Alabama and then we suck this year. I wonder what the Pollard narrative would be in that situation

If Prohm goes to Alabama, pretty much any replacement coach could match the 12-15 wins we're going to be stuck with this year (12-15 wins may even be optimistic).

FTR: I think the extension was the right thing to do, generally. You just have to be prepared to accept the consequence of the increased buyout or another crappy year before you can make a change.

• Agree
Reactions: nickcyv

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't disagree. I am just sick of seeing people pump up this fake history for ISU basketball that never existed.

Yeah there is that side that acts like Fred losing 12 games and getting a 10 seed was so much better than CSP losing 12 games and getting a 6 seed.

The only time ISU was truly elite was exactly 20 years ago.

My issue is the inconsistency and lack of identity to the program in year 5. And when ISU has looked bad under CSP, it's looked REALLY bad.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I can agree with that. We don't have some longstanding history of success. But I still think it's an appealing program with our recent accomplishments and fan support such that there shouldn't be any real excuse for being this bad.