Home Budgeting

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm trying a new thing in 2020 where I do no budgeting. Just keep an eye on the first digit in my bank account but no other worrying about the almighty dollar. Expected results are more happiness and more blow.

If you do spend more money on the wife, you will get more of the last usually. Decent plan I guess.

• Funny
Reactions: DurangoCy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
When my wife was holed up in the house with our infant, our budget was awesome. Amazing what taking Target our of the equation can do.

And what's even more amazing is that people can survive without it.

Reactions: mkadl

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Not in the same situation but for the spending part, I've found that taking out X amount of cash every week and that's all I get. Definitely helps at least hone in on needs.

Take a limited amount of cash into the grocery store and extra unnecessary stuff doesn't make it into the basket/cart.

We've found that the online shopping does help to avoid the extras. Don't have the impulse buys as you walk through the aisles.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We've found that the online shopping does help to avoid the extras. Don't have the impulse buys as you walk through the aisles.

Online shopping can be just as impulsive and dangerous imo.

It's really easy to find all the cool stuff out there and push a few buttons to obtain them.

Especially this time of year for outdoor gear and such on backcountry.com. I mean, a down 15 degree sleeping bag is hard to find for 40% off, but $150 is still $150, haha.

(I only bought one two years ago and I've used it lots. :))

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
This is where I’m at right now and when my kid is out of daycare in 18 months my lap dance budget is going WAY up. I even recently downgraded my whip because I wanted a truck so I’m rolling in extra cash right now but that no daycare infusion is going to feel like winning the lottery.

I'm told that having kids get out of daycare doesn't gain a guy as much money as you'd think. But I just got our end of year daycare statement, and you could buy a very nice car or take a helluva European vacation and still have a lot left over. :confused:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I'm trying a new thing in 2020 where I do no budgeting. Just keep an eye on the first digit in my bank account but no other worrying about the almighty dollar. Expected results are more happiness and more blow.

This is my method, but usually by about August I realize my bank account is overdrawn and I have to pay extra fees and tap the emergency fund. Still beats budgeting though.

• Funny
Reactions: ianoconnor

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
This is where I’m at right now and when my kid is out of daycare in 18 months my lap dance budget is going WAY up. I even recently downgraded my whip because I wanted a truck so I’m rolling in extra cash right now but that no daycare infusion is going to feel like winning the lottery.

We're still in that bucket for a while but man, when we are beyond daycare we are going to be LOADED.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I've used Mint for about 8 years at this point and really like it. I got to nitty gritty spreadsheet level for stuff like wedding expenses and building a home but outside of that, I feel Mint does a good job.

My question is if you feel good where you are with stuff....what do you do next besides let it languish in a savings account? Like, what should you do after your own retirement and kid's 529. Did a CD but that's such little return. Guess we could just keep putting it into retirement but my work 401k has some ****** options.

StevieISU23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2007
Urbandale
Budgeter and "New" Budgeters:

What items and categories were you amazed that you were over spending at?

Too many HyVee Trips?, Too many salon trips, too may Starbucks trips, too much eating out? Too much for Cable/movie/streaming apps?, too much Car maintance?, Too many Target Runs? etc.

What you got?......

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
All of these apps wouldn't be so necessary if we could control our wives to spend less money.
I have to agree with this, especially since I share a bank account with my wife. As much as I have tried to the "no budgeting, live happy" approach, my wife has a tendency to blow through money. She spent thousands on my last birthday.

I use Mint because it's the easiest to use and makes that spreadsheet for you. I can easily whip out the app and show her how much we can afford to spend on things and how much everything costs. My wife struggles with math and she would get lost looking at a spreadsheet. The graphs and pictures make it MUCH easier to understand.

• Agree
Reactions: mynameisjonas

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I have to agree with this, especially since I share a bank account with my wife. As much as I have tried to the "no budgeting, live happy" approach, my wife has a tendency to blow through money. She spent thousands on my last birthday.

I use Mint because it's the easiest to use and makes that spreadsheet for you. I can easily whip out the app and show her how much we can afford to spend on things and how much everything costs. My wife struggles with math and she would get lost looking at a spreadsheet. The graphs and pictures make it MUCH easier to understand.

Our budgeting at this point is very squishy money in/money out/trend tracking, but neither of us have the bolded problem. I have a hard time imagining my reaction if my wife got me a couple grand worth of gifts for my birthday.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
So, I tried Mint out of all the options listed in this thread. It was intuitive and easy to use, until I discovered a fatal flaw...It wasn't able to pick up all of the transactions from my banking account, mainly my mortgage (kinda of a huge deal) and daughters tuition.

There may be other things it missed too, but that's the point, I don't want to spend time going line item by line item to see what was missed by Mint. So I canceled it.

I'm now thinking of using 'You Need A Budget'. Does anyone here have any opinion on using it?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I've used Mint for about 8 years at this point and really like it. I got to nitty gritty spreadsheet level for stuff like wedding expenses and building a home but outside of that, I feel Mint does a good job.

My question is if you feel good where you are with stuff....what do you do next besides let it languish in a savings account? Like, what should you do after your own retirement and kid's 529. Did a CD but that's such little return. Guess we could just keep putting it into retirement but my work 401k has some ****** options.
Don't forget about using an IRA, Roth or traditional, if you've maxed out company contribution to your 401k.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive

There are non-traditional investments you can get into like properties. If you don't want to own or mess with the properties you can be a hard money lender. You'd have to work with people you can trust but you can make a pretty good return on that. Trust me, there are people out there looking for hard money loans too.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
There are non-traditional investments you can get into like properties. If you don't want to own or mess with the properties you can be a hard money lender. You'd have to work with people you can trust but you can make a pretty good return on that. Trust me, there are people out there looking for hard money loans too.

A place like Lending Club is a place people can look at for this type of alternative investments.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Budgeter and "New" Budgeters:

What items and categories were you amazed that you were over spending at?

Too many HyVee Trips?, Too many salon trips, too may Starbucks trips, too much eating out? Too much for Cable/movie/streaming apps?, too much Car maintance?, Too many Target Runs? etc.

What you got?......

Mine is definitely HyVee. Although, I'm starting to realize that cooking is my #1 hobby. I'm starting to look at the grocery bills a bit differently since I've realized that.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
My thoughts are, if you can afford it, then do what you want. If you pay your bills and doing things legally, go head and blow $1000 on a boatload of lap dances if that is what you want.

Ditto... All bills paid, no outstanding debts, retirement accounts fully funded, taxable savings being put away - so for me it's just an interesting thing about where our money is spent.

That said we DO track (not budget) all our expenses (credit cards too) on Bank of America website. For the fellow fatties on here, it's humbling to see how many times the pizza guys came to my house over a year...

Reactions: ianoconnor