Another 15 point loss

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
Maybe. Depends who they brought in with them. There would be no Bolton though

I have high hopes for Bolton moving forward, though he's been very inconsistent this season.

But, a new coach might have brought other new talent along with him, so I wouldn't see this line of thinking going very far.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
Maybe. Depends who they brought in with them. There would be no Bolton though

Also, I'm just saying it's POSSIBLE. It is also possible that a new coach could bring the team to a 9-12 win season, although I think the floor is pretty set regardless of the coach. I think the coach has more effect on the ceiling of a given team than the floor.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I just think it's funny that we are a school that has always prided ourselves on our basketball program. A good tradition, great fans. We've put double-digit players in the NBA over the course of the last 5 years.

Yet despite this, all the sudden some people on here want to act like it's some impossibility to sustain success here. Like it's an unrealistic expectation to expect better than the bottom of the Big 12 2 out of the last 3 years.

This is a good basketball job. This is a traditionally good basketball program.
I don't think anyone on here is happy / accepting of this season. Most have the opinion that this sort of stuff can't keep happening, however understand why this has happened two times in the past 3 years. Each down year we've had, it's been coming off of years in which a large portion of our team has left.

That's not an excuse for Prohm either. It's on him to account for guys leaving early due to graduation / NBA, and so far he has had two seasons where he hasn't been able to put a high level team onto the court. I like Steve and think he's a good coach but it's his job to be able to figure out the problems. Next year could be and should be completely different, and if there's true signs of progression, I think Steve stays as the head coach. If the season resembles the current one, Jamie Pollard probably makes a move because fan support and excitement would certainly drop.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I don't think anyone on here is happy / accepting of this season. Most have the opinion that this sort of stuff can't keep happening, however understand why this has happened two times in the past 3 years. Each down year we've had, it's been coming off of years in which a large portion of our team has left.

That's not an excuse for Prohm either. It's on him to account for guys leaving early due to graduation / NBA, and so far he has had two seasons where he hasn't been able to put a high level team onto the court. I like Steve and think he's a good coach but it's his job to be able to figure out the problems. Next year could be and should be completely different, and if there's true signs of progression, I think Steve stays as the head coach. If the season resembles the current one, Jamie Pollard probably makes a move because fan support and excitement would certainly drop.

How much farther can fan support and excitement drop? People can't give tickets away.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Just wait if we lose tomorrow
Hypothetically, if we don't get above 10 wins, is Prohm gone? I 100% do not want that to happen and wish the best for him and the program but in your opinion would that warrant him getting fired?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Hypothetically, if we don't get above 10 wins, is Prohm gone? I 100% do not want that to happen and wish the best for him and the program but in your opinion would that warrant him getting fired?

If we cant get to 10 then its time to move on.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I firmly believe even Okie State will win comfortably. All any opposing team has to do is shut down Tyrese. That’s it.
Seems like the way to defend us is to zone us and we are doomed - we can't make shots and you eliminate driving lanes which takes away pretty much anything we can do and OSU will zone us.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Yeah, I think this is right. I could stand a .500 season especially if things are coming together in the end. If you're not winning 10 games, though, it goes beyond one one year "spell."

I don't think that'll be even close to happening though. Prohm will be back for one more year and it's for all the marbles.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Seems like the way to defend us is to zone us and we are doomed - we can't make shots and you eliminate driving lanes which takes away pretty much anything we can do and OSU will zone us.

Actually I'd go man and let everyone shoot except Haliburton. Sag deep off everyone and your playing man responsibility with a better rebounding setup.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I would probably have to agree. If we end up going 2-12 to end the year 10-19, I would say a move might have to be made. That'd put us into the mix of being one of the worst college basketball teams in the P-6. That'd be the worst season since 1989.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
How much farther can fan support and excitement drop? People can't give tickets away.
To your first point, I think it could bottom out quickly, and happen yet this season. That doesn't mean Pollard will act after this season, but I don't think there is some critical mass of fans that will remain in wait-and-see mode through next season. Not sensing that Prohm has that much good will in the bank with the average fan.

Why do I believe that? Well, that relates to your second point. I literally gave away tickets to the KU game. Couldn't even stir up an offer. Unprecedented as a 20+ year season ticket holder.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyfanisu

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Texas Tech literally had no basketball history prior to Beard getting there. They were traditionally horrible.

If we are at the point as a program where we are saying "hey, temper your expectations if you think we can be like Texas Tech" then what are we even doing?

They made the tourney in the Floyd era. They went to tourney multiple times under Knight. They made the tourney the year before Beard took over.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006

I don't believe Pollard will fire Steve even with a 10 win record. The buyout number will trump the win total number for JP. Maybe at the end of next year if this continues.
In the meantime, maybe there's a P-5 spot that opens in the southeast.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Cy$ and Cyfanisu