Money Market Investing and New Home Purchasing

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
As of the 27th of this month I will have paid off all of my student loans.

I'm looking for investment options that are inline with my short-term and long-term goals. My net take home is $52K and my Haverkamp apartment rent is $1,050.00/mo.

Long-term wise I have a Vanguard Index fund and my I'm in the process of setting up a SEP-IRA through Principal.

Short-term I'm wanting to save up to buy a starter home. I know I need to put 20% down for a home that ranges between $150-$200K. I'm in the process of setting up a Capital One 360 saving account that has 1.7% APY.

My research suggests the Capital One Savings account offers the best Money Market Account interest rate that I can qualify for (assides from BMO Harris bank at 1.95% APY). I'm choosing a money market account simply for the fact that you can continuously contribute to it and close it at any time without any fee's.

My question is what others are doing or have done when looking to maximize their ROI and what deals are out there that I may be missing out on. Also if you've done business with BMO Harris bank or what have your experiences been?

Thanks in advance.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I'm looking for investment options that are inline with my short-term and long-term goals. My net take home is $52K and my Haverkamp apartment rent is $1,050.00/mo.

Long-term wise I have a Vanguard Index fund and my I'm in the process of setting up a SEP-IRA through Principal.

Short-term I'm wanting to save up to buy a starter home. I know I need to put 20% down for a home that ranges between $150-$200K. I'm in the process of setting up a Capital One 360 saving account that has 1.7% APY.

My research suggests the Capital One Savings account offers the best Money Market Account interest rate that I can qualify for (assides from BMO Harris bank at 1.95% APY). I'm choosing a money market account simply for the fact that you can continuously contribute to it and close it at any time without any fee's.

My question is what others are doing or have done when looking to maximize their ROI and what deals are out there that I may be missing out on. Also if you've done business with BMO Harris bank or what have your experiences been?

Thanks in advance.

A few points --

1.) Congratulations on paying off the student loans! Good job!

2.) Your overall plan is sound.

3.) I do not have any particular experience with any of those companies you list above. However, the rate of interest you are quoted seems "market" --

upload_2020-1-17_13-10-56.png

0.1% or 0.2% is not going to make much of a difference considering how long you want to hold money in those accounts before converting to a down payment.

Therefore, just pick whichever is convenient or you like the most.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
You have a good plan.

I’ve been putting money aside monthly in a taxable account with Vanguard. 75% goes into their Prime money market account (1.70% right now) and 25% goes into a few balanced mutual funds. I’ve been happy with this mix as it gives me some participation in the market without a ton of risk.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
We've riding a record long bull market at the moment...how much longer can that last??? . I would be weary of trying to do much more than what you've already discussed doing to hold cash short term.

Overall, nice work at this point in your life!

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
We've riding a record long bull market at the moment...how much longer can that last??? . I would be weary of trying to do much more than what you've already discussed doing to hold cash short term.

Overall, nice work at this point in your life!
People have been saying that for years. The only truth is we're one day closer to a recession than yesterday, but when that happens is anybody's guess.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
People have been saying that for years. The only truth is we're one day closer to a recession than yesterday, but when that happens is anybody's guess.

Regardless how long people have been saying it (hopefully they weren't saying it "for years" since the record was hit less than a year ago -- last March), it doesn't change the sentiment. It would appear to be a very risky time to get aggressive or too creative with funds that are meant to be invested short-term.

I can't tell if you disagree.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Bewilderme

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
You have a good plan.

I’ve been putting money aside monthly in a taxable account with Vanguard. 75% goes into their Prime money market account (1.70% right now) and 25% goes into a few balanced mutual funds. I’ve been happy with this mix as it gives me some participation in the market without a ton of risk.

wait so subsidies and enough money to invest in your future? how does this work?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Regardless how long people have been saying it (hopefully they weren't saying it before it was actually true), it doesn't change the sentiment. It would appear to be a very risky time to get aggressive or too creative with funds that are meant to be invested short-term.

Then sell short and make money in the way down. I tried that last time there was a hiccup and lost a few $k.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Discover Bank and and other access through Edward Jones also pay 1.7% on Money Mkt. As long as Fed holds interest rates steady, that should be the the approximate return on MM. As the balance grows, you could also consider a 12-month or so certificate of deposit.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
Regardless how long people have been saying it (hopefully they weren't saying it "for years" since the record was hit less than a year ago -- last March), it doesn't change the sentiment. It would appear to be a very risky time to get aggressive or too creative with funds that are meant to be invested short-term.

I don't disagree that if you're holding short-term you shouldn't be in the stock market, but it shouldn't have anything to do with being "close" to a recession.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Thanks in advance.

Did exact same thing for new house down payment. I chose Discover Bank which was offering 2% and plunked the 20% down payment there. Its safe, secure and readily available and while 2% isn't MUCH, it's way more than anywhere else pays for the safety. Discover is probably closer to 1.7% now but still better than a stick in the eye.

• Winner
Reactions: cyfan21

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Did exact same thing for new house down payment. I chose Discover Bank which was offering 2% and plunked the 20% down payment there. Its safe, secure and readily available and while 2% isn't MUCH, it's way more than anywhere else pays for the safety. Discover is probably closer to 1.7% now but still better than a stick in the eye.

Yah, pretty much all of the accounts that were offering the 2%, like my American Express Savings, are down to 1.7% but still beats the heck out of the interests banks pay if their low rates even count as "pay".

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Check with FHA. You won’t believe the amount of loans they are making. Seen them on 200k houses in a town like Mason City. Need about 3-5% down it appears and with the terrible way loans and realtors are screwing with things. You don’t even need that due to the 6% and larger closing kickbacks.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I'm in a similar situation to the OP and looking to buy first home. My bank actually encouraged me to put $0 down. I am buying a fixer upper and said it would make better sense financially to put my savings toward the renovations. My interest rate wasn't effected and my monthly payment barely would be.

Last edited: