NCAA Tourney Path

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Anybody that thinks this team has any shot at the tourney is totally off their rocker.

This team has a huge concrete millstone around its collective neck, and carved into that millstone are the letters "FAMU". Even if this team somehow finishes strong and becomes a bubble team, that FAMU loss pops the bubble.

So, our path to the NCAA Tournament is 4 wins in KC.

omar34

Mar 8, 2017
With our record will have to win the big 12 tournament! Sorry it's not happening this season!

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
With our record will have to win the big 12 tournament! Sorry it's not happening this season!
I feel like we are getting better. Despite what some people think around here, CSP is an outstanding coach. We lost a ton of productivity from last year. It's going to take time to build this team up. I promise you by the end of the season we will be significantly better and will still have a shot. Unlike those guys to the east of us, our team gets better as the year goes on. And we have the trophies to prove it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I feel like we are getting better. Despite what some people think around here, CSP is an outstanding coach. We lost a ton of productivity from last year. It's going to take time to build this team up. I promise you by the end of the season we will be significantly better and will still have a shot. Unlike those guys to the east of us, our team gets better as the year goes on. And we have the trophies to prove it.
We are getting better that is definitely true. It's a little unlucky that our schedule is set how it is. In our first 5 conference games, 3 are on the road, and 3 are against top-25 teams (2 of which are top-6 teams). The Okie State game won't be easy, a nice change of pace but right after that, we play @ a top-10 Auburn and then back at home again against #2 Baylor. That is unbelievably hard. Even last year's team would've had a hard time going .500 during that slate of games.

I think that CSP is a good coach, but outstanding might be a bit of a stretch. He certainly could be outstanding by the time he's done here, but to be that, he can't be the coach of a program that goes every other year to the NCAA tournament. I think he's a great recruiter, however sometimes struggles with recruiting on the fly. He also has had issues with in-game adjustments / special situations. With that being said, he's yet to have more than a year with one group of guys due to players leaving for the NBA / G-League.

This year is not over though. Although there's a tough stretch of games coming up, there are a lot of opportunities to maybe grab some momentum. We're not going to win the rest of our games on our schedule that's just not going to happen. But picking up a couple of ranked wins and then taking care of business against some of the teams around our level would be huge for the team this year, and huge for Coach Prohm himself.

Next year's team and roster makeup shows a lot of promise. Jackson and Grill will continue to grow and the full off season of weights / workouts will serve them nicely. Griffin looks like he's getting more comfortable and maybe his junior year he turns into that junkyard dog type player. Solomon will be a 5th year senior and those guys are incredibly important to have on your team. Conditt and Bolton are both only sophomores and have proven they have the ability to play at a very high level. They'll have the keys to the ship. Then you have the 2020 class that will help fill some of the gaps that we're desperately needing right now. Dubar, Walker, and Blackwell are really long and really athletic. They all three have different scoring abilities but seem to have the size to be able to play right away. Which brings us to Foster, a type of player that Iowa State hasn't really had. He's 7'0 tall, is a shot eraser like Conditt, and he truly has the ability to knock down the 3-pt shot.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
We are getting better that is definitely true. It's a little unlucky that our schedule is set how it is. In our first 5 conference games, 3 are on the road, and 3 are against top-25 teams (2 of which are top-6 teams). The Okie State game won't be easy, a nice change of pace but right after that, we play @ a top-10 Auburn and then back at home again against #2 Baylor. That is unbelievably hard. Even last year's team would've had a hard time going .500 during that slate of games.

I think that CSP is a good coach, but outstanding might be a bit of a stretch. He certainly could be outstanding by the time he's done here, but to be that, he can't be the coach of a program that goes every other year to the NCAA tournament. I think he's a great recruiter, however sometimes struggles with recruiting on the fly. He also has had issues with in-game adjustments / special situations. With that being said, he's yet to have more than a year with one group of guys due to players leaving for the NBA / G-League.

This year is not over though. Although there's a tough stretch of games coming up, there are a lot of opportunities to maybe grab some momentum. We're not going to win the rest of our games on our schedule that's just not going to happen. But picking up a couple of ranked wins and then taking care of business against some of the teams around our level would be huge for the team this year, and huge for Coach Prohm himself.

Next year's team and roster makeup shows a lot of promise. Jackson and Grill will continue to grow and the full off season of weights / workouts will serve them nicely. Griffin looks like he's getting more comfortable and maybe his junior year he turns into that junkyard dog type player. Solomon will be a 5th year senior and those guys are incredibly important to have on your team. Conditt and Bolton are both only sophomores and have proven they have the ability to play at a very high level. They'll have the keys to the ship. Then you have the 2020 class that will help fill some of the gaps that we're desperately needing right now. Dubar, Walker, and Blackwell are really long and really athletic. They all three have different scoring abilities but seem to have the size to be able to play right away. Which brings us to Foster, a type of player that Iowa State hasn't really had. He's 7'0 tall, is a shot eraser like Conditt, and he truly has the ability to knock down the 3-pt shot.
One way to look at it is that we have lots of opportunity to build a resume. Really tough, but by the end of the season and into next year we will be so much better by playing a schedule like this as opposed to those who play in a weak conference like the Big 10. We will start surprising teams this year, and have some big wins that will make things a lot less gloomy around here.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
One way to look at it is that we have lots of opportunity to build a resume. Really tough, but by the end of the season and into next year we will be so much better by playing a schedule like this as opposed to those who play in a weak conference like the Big 10. We will start surprising teams this year, and have some big wins that will make things a lot less gloomy around here.
I agree with everything here except for the bolded. The Big 10 might not have a great team at this moment, but they do have a load of good teams. The Big 10 is very solid this year overall.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Anybody that thinks this team has any shot at the tourney is totally off their rocker.

Ya hate to say it, but we’re done. At this point just hoping that Halliburton has a THT kind of drop in the mocks and get Tre Jackson and George Conditt as much PT and experience as possible.

• Agree
Reactions: Final42b

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
I agree with everything here except for the bolded. The Big 10 might not have a great team at this moment, but they do have a load of good teams. The Big 10 is very solid this year overall.
I think they have a lot of OK team. I think they were wildly overrated at the beginning of the season and have come back down to earth.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
This board is so dense. Yes, everyone knows it's extremely unlikely we'll make the tournament. But that wasn't the question, and you're not clever or a straight shooter to tell everyone we're not going.

19-14 (11-7) with a win in KC or 19-14 (10-8) with a win in KC and a win @Auburn gets us in.

I'd be encouraged with 16-17 (8-10) with a win in KC. Sigh.

Last edited:

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
This board is so dense. Yes, everyone knows it's extremely unlikely we'll make the tournament. But that wasn't the question, and you're not clever or a straight shooter to tell everyone we're not going.

19-14 (11-7) with a win in KC or 19-14 (10-8) with a win in KC and a win @Auburn gets us in.
upload_2020-1-17_11-23-58.jpeg

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
Well, we definitely can’t get any worse.
I hope you’re right though, because watching them get blown out at Hilton is depressing.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
We could've saved a couple pages by just getting the "anybody that thinks this team is going anywhere is off their rocker" posts out of the way.

Nobody thinks we're going to the tournament, so just answer the question. It's much more fun and interesting.
A lot of people are bitter about how the season is going. People come here to vent. So they see a thread like this and just think it's ridiculous. I get what you are going for. My overall point is that we will get better and with a couple of big wins, 19 should be be enough to get us in. But before everyone gets all worked up, I agree that most likely we will need to win it all in KC. But I also think it will be possible to do so.