KXNO/iHeart Layoffs

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
There were 1,000 layoffs company wide. iHeart filed for bankruptcy in 2018

Not sure this says anything about validation as "flyover country" unless you want to ignore those facts.
Lowest common denominator. You think they would do the same thing in Miami? I moved away a few years back. People don't even know what or where Iowa is. Sorry if this hits a nerve with you but its 100% true.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
My primary residence is in Cedar Rapids. I have listened to every KXnO show via podcast for years. I go back before the current lineups were formed. I haven't missed a single episode. In Cedar Rapids you just don't get Cyclones content. These shows were that and more.

The Morning Rush & Sports Fanatics were my favorite shows and will be missed. The combination of a Hawkeye with a Cyclone worked well, although I will admit to skipping through some of the Hawk talk at times.

I wish Heather, Travis, Sean, Chris & Ross well in the future. I hope they find a way back not just for them, but for all their loyal listeners who miss them greatly.

• Friendly
  • Winner
Reactions: Cycsk and BACyclone

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Lowest common denominator. You think they would do the same thing in Miami? I moved away a few years back. People don't even know what or where Iowa is. Sorry if this hits a nerve with you but its 100% true.

I'm not saying the fly over label doesn't have merit, just that the KXNO situations isn't necessary a result of that mindset. i.e..the old..."causation doesn't necessarily imply correlation" . Are you suggesting that with the massive layoffs and bankruptcy filing , no big markets where affected similarly?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There were 1,000 layoffs company wide. iHeart filed for bankruptcy in 2018

Not sure this says anything about validation as "flyover country" unless you want to ignore those facts.

Howard Stern talks about radio industry a lot given he was such a figure in the history and evolution. Obviously a biased source but a few months ago he said am/fm radio advertising rates are the same as they were in the late 90s. If that's even close to true it's pretty crazy.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Maybe it's just me but if you can't find every State in the Country on a map, you are not qualified to run any business with more than $1 million in revenue.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Howard Stern talks about radio industry a lot given he was such a figure in the history and evolution. Obviously a biased source but a few months ago he said am/fm radio advertising rates are the same as they were in the late 90s. If that's even close to true it's pretty crazy.

I remember when Steve Deace stepped away from his drive-time show on 1040 WHO ( 4 or 5 yrs ago??) , he stated at the time he was doing so because he didn’t believe there was a positive future in traditional radio.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm not saying the fly over label doesn't have merit, just that the KXNO situations isn't necessary a result of that mindset. i.e..the old..."causation doesn't necessarily imply correlation" . Are you suggesting that with the massive layoffs and bankruptcy filing , no big markets where affected similarly?
I haven't looked but I would bet that larger markets were not cut as hard as smaller ones. That's mostly because of the numbers but people underestimate how little empathy the coasts have for the middle of the country.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Living in Denver, I just learned that the PXP guy for the Colorado Rockies, Jerry Schemmel was impacted in the layoffs. Great professional an amazing person. He survived the plane crash in Sioux City, and went back into the plane to save a 11 month old baby.

Last edited:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Maybe it's just me but if you can't find every State in the Country on a map, you are not qualified to run any business with more than $1 million in revenue.

I promise you there are thousands of successful business owners/managers who can't find every state on a map. $1M in revenue is not a very big company really.

Construction companies. Internet startups. Car dealerships. Probably lots more I'm sure.

I know that 2 of my partners couldn't LOL.

FWIW, almost all the business owners I know are NOT super sophisticated or educated, or even very good at "business". Most just are really good at whatever industry they are in, and have partners or employees or service providers that manage the "business" things.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
If the car has an audio jack. Otherwise it may be a little more to buy a portable bluetooth speaker and go that way.

$25 to get a device that plugs into your cigarette lighter, connects to your phone on Bluetooth, and spits out an FM signal to your radio.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
There’s gotta be something going on behind the scenes getting announced shortly.
With CW’s hints and other hints from M&A, it seems likely.
Miller and Condon ended their show with quoting Paul Harvey. “STANDBY FOR NEWS”

Reactions: capitalcityguy

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
And this is different from any other medium how? If I'm watching TV or listening to the radio, I can switch channels during commercial breaks and then come back.
The first post wondered "If podcasts are advertiser sponsored, don't most people not even listen to the attached commercials?"
That post had a response "Hosts do live reads in many cases."
I was simply adding the clarification that those live reads aren't somehow golden in comparison to attached or embedded commercials -- but that they too can be skipped. I had no intention of claiming one medium's superiority or inferiority to any other medium. Nor was I trying to say that live reads aren't more effective, as they clearly are for many reasons.
Though to be fair -- doing something else during a commercial is not the same thing as skipping past the commercial.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

You mean they are the same in *nominal* terms, so stations have been taking roughly a 2% cut each year with inflation, riding that train all the way down?

That would not shock me. See my previous posts about newspaper revenues.

Radio might not be *that* extreme, but local media has taken a beating.

I haven't looked but I would bet that larger markets were not cut as hard as smaller ones. That's mostly because of the numbers but people underestimate how little empathy the coasts have for the middle of the country.

This is really true -- 150%.

I tell people I went to Iowa State in DC, NYC, or Boston, and they look like me like I suddenly have a second head. I go from potential equal to hick.

"Iowa? Do you grow potatoes?"

"Ohio? Oh, Iowa, oops!"

"Oh, I went there once for the caucuses when I worked on a campaign!"

I have gotten "**** that didn't happen for $200, Alex" on here several times for relating these stories but... they absolutely happen in certain circles.

The East Coast snobbery is so real.

There is a rat race out here, starting from a young age about getting into the "right" schools even long before college, and clambering for status your entire adult life that is just alien to the egalitarianism and friendliness of the Midwest.

I promise you there are thousands of successful business owners/managers who can't find every state on a map. $1M in revenue is not a very big company really.

Construction companies. Internet startups. Car dealerships. Probably lots more I'm sure.

I know that 2 of my partners couldn't LOL.

FWIW, almost all the business owners I know are NOT super sophisticated or educated, or even very good at "business". Most just are really good at whatever industry they are in, and have partners or employees or service providers that manage the "business" things.

Becoming an expert at anything requires spending a ton of time thinking about a relatively small number of issues and questions. Asking those people anything outside of their field should give you responses that are simultaneously funny and stupid.

Don't ask a brain surgeon how to launch a rocket.

Don't ask a rocket engineer how to conduct brain surgery.

Last edited:

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Even those pesky little tiny ones in the New England area? Guess that's why my business doesn't do $1 million in revenue. Geography -- my kryptonite.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I remember when Steve Deace stepped away from his drive-time show on 1040 WHO ( 4 or 5 yrs ago??) , he stated at the time he was doing so because he didn’t believe there was a positive future in traditional radio.
I want to say Deace got let go from The Jock, way back when, for stating what his pay rate was on the air. He had a mega popular afternoon show, and basically said that he made less than 10 bucks an hour. This was in like 2002 I think. I believe he was canned that day, and resurfaced at KXNO soon after.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron