Oscars 2020 - More Men, Please?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
What a shock - no Greta Gerwig (or any other women) in the Best Director spot:

https://oscar.go.com/news/nominations/oscar-nominations-2020-list-nominees-by-category

Hot takes:

- Tarentino will get either his first best director, or his third best screenplay (tying him w/Woody Allen, I think?). I doubt he'll get both.
- Parasite almost has to get best international.
- Either 1917 or Once Upon A Time...for best picture
- They'll throw Gerwig a paltry bone for adapted screenplay

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I might be in the minority, I thought "Once Upon a Time..." was good, not great. I've always been a Tarantino guy. Just thought it dragged and at times wasn't sure what the arc of the story was supposed to be.

"Little Women" was really, really good. She definitely should've been included.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I enjoyed Once Upon a Time, but it's not a POTY for me

I really, really enjoyed it (much more than the last three or four Tarentino films all of the way through) - I don't particularly think it's POTY, but it's a total love letter to Hollywood, and they adore that sort of thing. That's what has me thinking it. BUT, war movies are always a hit.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
"Little Women" was really, really good. She definitely should've been included.

I thought it was exceptionally well-done - I'm a big Alcott fan, but it's considered dry by today's standards. Gerwig did a fantastic job of making it relevant and fun.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I thought it was exceptionally well-done - I'm a big Alcott fan, but it's considered dry by today's standards. Gerwig did a fantastic job of making it relevant and fun.

Nobody on set knew that she was pregnant during the filming and she delivered shortly after principle photography ended.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Nobody on set knew that she was pregnant during the filming and she delivered shortly after principle photography ended.

It is honestly amazing. I puked dozens of times a day when pregnant; I can't imagine being able to hide it from anyone! Especially not when you're working together for 12+ hours/day, 7 days/week.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
I saw Little Women last week. I have never read the book or seen any adaptation of it. I thought it was very well done all around. I just thought the story was not great. Great directing, dialogue, acting, score, etc. My only beef was the story was very, like you said, dry. That and that Florence Pugh plays a 13 year old and a 20 year old version of herself.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I saw Little Women last week. I have never read the book or seen any adaptation of it. I thought it was very well done all around. I just thought the story was not great. Great directing, dialogue, acting, score, etc. My only beef was the story was very, like you said, dry. That and that Florence Pugh plays a 13 year old and a 20 year old version of herself.

I was reading an article on the NY Times about how Gerwig had sourced the info to try and make it a little more relevant in today's climate. I love Alcott's "Eight Cousins" and "Rose In Bloom" books more than the "Little Women" ones, and Gerwig stole a few empowered lines from those books to try and flesh out Jo a bit more. She also used a ton of art and such - oh, here's the link, it's worth a read: LINK Gerwig did her homework, and I just love Saoirse Ronan.

Yeah, Florence Pugh just looks like a woman. There's no way to make her be an innocent pre-teen.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Phoenix should win best actor. He was absolutely phenomenal in Joker. DiCaprio was phenomenal in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but Phoenix had a performance that was one of the all time great performances.

To go along with what has been said about Once Upon a Time, while watching it, my wife and I paused it about half way through because we both had to use the restroom and we both said that this movie better get somewhere because there had been no plot up to that point. No story to connect to. It ended up being a long ass movie just so Tarantino could have that final scene at Ricks house. There really was no story. It’s just a bunch of scenes for DiCaprio and Pitt to show how good of actors they are. It’s a pointless movie. Well directed, well acted, and beautifully shot, but that’s it.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
POTY - Parasite
Actor OTY - Joaquin
Actress OTY - Cyntia Erivo
Sup Actrees - Kathy Bates (dark horse Scarlett)
Sup Actor - Brad Pitt
Director - Sam Mendes
Adapted Screenplay - JoJo Rabbit (probably Little Women)
Original Screenplay - Parasite
Animated - Klaus
International - Parasite

my glaring snubs: Greta Gerwig-Director, Akwafina (The Farewell) - Best Actress

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I thought I was once again in danger of going into Oscar season having not seen a single nominated movie but then I see that Rise of Skywalker is nominated for Score, Sound Editing and Visual Effects.

• Funny
Reactions: CycloneDaddy

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I thought I was once again in danger of going into Oscar season having not seen a single nominated movie but then I see that Rise of Skywalker is nominated for Score, Sound Editing and Visual Effects.
I think Joker is the only one I have seen.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Joker gets 11 nominations including Best Picture, Director, and Actor. Right behind with 10 nominations are 1917, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and The Irishman.

The other nominees for best film are Ford V. Ferrari, JoJo Rabbit, Little Women, Marriage Story, and Parasite.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Bale got robbed for not getting a nomination for Ford v. Ferrari.

General comment, though --

Looking at that best picture list, this was a very strong year. Lots of memorable stuff. How to Train Your Dragon 3 and Toy Story 4 were great off the animated list, too.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29