This is why Prohm must go........

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Well up to that point, ISU had only been to the NCAA tourney 3 times consecutively once.

Otherwise it was typically one or two tourneys, followed by a down season.

So at the time, an NIT, NCAA tourney, and a winning season were about on par with other good three year stretches especially under Orr.

And I don't recall apathy under Morgan when they had Hilton going crazy for a few games and winning at the Phog with Stinson and Co. Was Morgan a great coach? No, but his time was pretty good by previous ISU standards.
Well the McDermott years were worse, but I went to almost all the home games in the Morgan era and while there were some great atmospheres it was far from a sellout every game. I remember upsetting a ranked Texas team at home and there were large sections of empty seats. That wouldn't happen today.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Well the McDermott years were worse, but I went to almost all the home games in the Morgan era and while there were some great atmospheres it was far from a sellout every game. I remember upsetting a ranked Texas team at home and there were large sections of empty seats. That wouldn't happen today.

I went to the ISU/Tech game in 2001 when ISU was wrapping up the regular season title in late February.

Exciting times and regular seasons that ISU hasn't touched since but I could have sat in almost every section of the arena.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
An NIT bid and a 9 seed in the tournament is a long ways from a "good" 3 year stretch at ISU. I can point to numerous 3 year stretches that were WAAAAAY better. Still, if you want to say Morgan's tenure in a vacuum was ok fine. However, if you consider his tenure was smack dab in the middle of the worst 10 year stretch of basketball at ISU in the modern era, I don't think too many people are looking back on the Morgan era fondley. And that was my point. Fan apathy was SOOO much worse from the last few years of Eustachy to the time Fred got here. It was really bad for a while there. For someone to say you have to go back to the pre-Orr days to find a time it was this bad is utterly ridiculous.
I want to know the definition of what modern era is. I remember really bad basketball through the 60's-70's. If the 70's are outside of the modern era then that makes me feel really old and I just need to go home and watch Andy Griffith reruns ; )

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I went to the ISU/Tech game in 2001 when ISU was wrapping up the regular season title in late February.

Exciting times and regular seasons that ISU hasn't touched since but I could have sat in almost every section of the arena.
Ok, and that just gets back to my main point that someone saying you need to go back to pre-Orr days to find a time ISU fans were this apathetic about basketball is ridiculous.

• Agree
Reactions: simply1

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I want to know the definition of what modern era is. I remember really bad basketball through the 60's-70's. If the 70's are outside of the modern era then that makes me feel really old and I just need to go home and watch Andy Griffith reruns ; )
Lol... well I hate to say it but I would consider "modern" to at least include the 3 point line.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I remember upsetting a ranked Texas team at home and there were large sections of empty seats. That wouldn't happen today.

Which part, the upsetting a ranked team or the empty seats? I'm not confident in either, but give it a month.

• Winner
Reactions: CTTB78

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

This^^^. Remember Ejims 48 point performance? Plenty of empty seats. Even in the parquet.

• Agree
Reactions: jsb

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015
Quotes about the team focusing on “having fun” now. I’m not sure what that means, but I look forward to seeing the result if it means less “thinking” and more “playing”. Prohm seems like a highly intelligent person and maybe the guys have had mental constipation. We’ll see. Go cyclones.

Cyclone951

Nov 29, 2019
Morgan wasn’t that great but wasn’t he the coach on the 05 team that beat Minnesota in the Tourney?

That’s one more power 5 team than Prohm has beaten in the dance.

Ok, I dont really care about Morgan. If you want to think he was a great coach at ISU fine. My point wasnt to debate the merits of Wayne Morgans coaching tenure.

• Agree
Reactions: UNIclonefan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron