Buying Tires on a Site Such as TireBuyer.com

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Anyone had a good experience (or bad) buying tires online with a site like www.tirebuyer.com and having them shipped to a local installer? (or tirerack.com, etc.)

I don't love the "call around" or "drive around" game to get a good deal.

If it matters, I'm in the Des Moines metro area.

Thanks.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Used TireRack a few times, super easy. Then I found costco has the same prices, so I can just buy online, and a week or so later I get a call to schedule the install.

WhatMeWorry

Feb 4, 2010
Urbandale
Used TireRack a few times, super easy. Then I found costco has the same prices, so I can just buy online, and a week or so later I get a call to schedule the install.

I did this exact thing a couple weeks ago. Used TireRack for ratings, bought them from Costco

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Know many people who have done tirerack.

Make sure to give local stores a shot though if you ask them just to get close to a Costco or TR price. I've found that sometimes it can be within 20, 40 bucks which is good enough for me to keep the money local.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I used a Discount Tire store in town last time. Price match from anywhere, free rotations & flat repair.

They price matched some winter tires from TireRack.com for me.

• Agree
Reactions: jdcyclone19

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I used a Discount Tire store in town last time. Price match from anywhere, free rotations & flat repair.

They price matched some winter tires from TireRack.com for me.

Even the local tire store did that once for me. Just tell them tirerack has X for Y and they get pretty darn close to make it happen. Even $50 diff is not worth it if you can get it all done in 1 place.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
TireRack didn't have the tires I wanted (Kumho) so I bought on Amazon. I took them to a Discount Tire for installation and had a good experience.

On that note, I recommend taking a look at Kumho as a budget buy. High quality for the price.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I've used them several times. Choosing a good local shop to install them is the key.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I have used tire rack several times. I feel it is easier to do comparisons since they don't care what brand I buy. Their comparison features are easy to use and they rate for things like road noise, handling, and tread wear.
They will also suggest multiple local options to install and you can direct ship to your choice.

IMO- I watch my pressure and rotate every 10k miles bu nobody's tire last as long as they are rated for. Thus I gave up buying hi end and typically buy in the upper end of mid range.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I will use tire rack to search for what tires I want then will do the local call and ask for price. Discount tire will usually either price match or beat a price quote if you have one. I do like keeping money local though. Just recently decided on a set of Toyo Celcius CUV tires for the new family hauler as the stock bridgestone duelers on it sucked ass in the bit of snow and slush we have had so far, local shop had the best price installed and saved me the hr drive to the closest discount tire.

I also did buy a set of cheapo tires off of Walmart on black friday and had them installed at the closest walmart auto center for $107 a tire total for my work beater, but that has an uncommon anymore tire size on it.

Last edited:

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I will use tire rack to search for what tires I want then will do the local call and ask for price. Discount tire will usually either price match or beat a price quote if you have one. I do like keeping money local though. Just recently decided on a set of Toyo Celcius CUV tires for the new family hauler as the stock bridgestone duelers on it sucked ass in the bit of snow and slush we have had so far, local shop had the best price installed and saved me the hr drive to the closest discount tire.

I also did buy a set of cheapo tires off of Walmart on black friday and had them installed at the closest walmart auto center for $107 a tire total for my work beater, but that has an uncommon anymore tire size on it.
Discount Tire is pretty decent. This summer I was looking for trailer tires and they actually went around 50 bucks cheaper when I asked them about price matching a quote I got from another place.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I used National Tire & Battery because they had the best deal on a set of mud tires for my truck. I ordered online and booked the appointment that way. I'd suggest calling the store or going in person because the online system was apparently a pain for them to use.

NTB or Discount Tire would be a good place to start.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Know many people who have done tirerack.

Make sure to give local stores a shot though if you ask them just to get close to a Costco or TR price. I've found that sometimes it can be within 20, 40 bucks which is good enough for me to keep the money local.
I used Mr. Wheel Deal to get wheels and tires for my truck. The tires came mounted and balanced on the wheels. I buy a lot of tires from the local guy so he didn't mind doing the install. Usually I buy tires locally because they're the ones I'm asking to do service work and they can help with warranty work. I run Goodyears almost exclusively unless it's for a real beater that I don't think will last long enough to wear out a set of tires.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
The last few times we’ve bought tires, I’ve found them cheaper at Theisens than anywhere even online.

the last set of Firestone’s we got for my wife’s car were 40 bucks less a tire than the actual Firestone shops.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 2020cy and NWICY

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I buy tires frequently from Tire Rack ( for my Ford Explorer and racing trailer). I have have them shipped to my house then just take them to a client of mine to have then mounted and balanced.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Anyone had a good experience (or bad) buying tires online with a site like www.tirebuyer.com and having them shipped to a local installer? (or tirerack.com, etc.)

I don't love the "call around" or "drive around" game to get a good deal.

If it matters, I'm in the Des Moines metro area.

Thanks.
I used tirerack to get winter tires and rims. It was super easy and no issues

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
The last few times we’ve bought tires, I’ve found them cheaper at Theisens than anywhere even online.

the last set of Firestone’s we got for my wife’s car were 40 bucks less a tire than the actual Firestone shops.
take that quote to discount tire and they will beat it by $30-40 bucks at least if they can get the tires in. just telling them over the phone I could get the new tires I'm looking for from Theisens cheaper the guy punched some numbers on the computer and came back with a even lower price.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I used tirerack to get winter tires and rims. It was super easy and no issues
was looking to go that route for about $1400 bucks for cheap 18" wheels and some snow tires, a new set of all-weather tires will cost me about $800 bucks for mounting on 20"s

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Discount tire and discount tire direct are awesome. Any discount tire can install discount tire direct tires and there’s 3 in the metro.

discount tire direct will match any online vendor and beat it.