Coaching Staff Evaluation

acody

Nov 25, 2006
As much as I appreciate the coaches taking us from where we were a few years ago, they need to have a hard evaluation of themselves this offseason. Thoroughly out coached in plenty games. Penalties, turnovers, it’s all comes down to coaching. Hope they can improve themselves.

This frat boy coaching staff is not ready for prime time. Not even sure if any of these assistant coaches get interviews for head coaching jobs. If they're not looking for head coaching jobs then they are not worth their high salaries. Hayden Fry wanted assistants who wanted to be head coaches and turned out plenty of them.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I’d still give Heacock a B.

I would agree at least a B...the defense only gave up 23 points....when you give teams like ClassLess Notre Dame a short field....No defense in all of college football can keep the Irish from scoring....When our offense only scores three field goals ....you are gonna lose...Its just that simple...On to next year and GO Cyclones!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Campbell has proven he has no problem replacing players, no matter who they are, when they are underperforming. Let's hope he can do the same with the coaching staff because tom manning is really bad. Absolutely horrible game plan that he had a month to prepare and absolutely no adjustments.

It's really, really hard to adjust when there's no time to do anything.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Just an observation. It seems clearouts and under crossing routes killed us in prime time situations. Yet on the two sacks that I saw, we were sending all of our receivers deep with no under routes forcing long blocking situations. That's hard to believe.
That aside, I'm still on board with this coaching staff for the long haul.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Matt Campbell and most of his staff are absolutely the right guys to be at ISU. If you think otherwise you are a moron. With that said though, a couple of his staff members need walking papers. The o-line has been dreadful since they arrived, the special teams have been average to bad, and while ISU set records this season on offense, they were actually held back by atrocious play calling for half of most games by Tom Manning. I’m not giving up on Manning yet, he’s still learning how to be an OC, but he needs to be on Campbell’s hot seat going into next season. His horrid play calling in short yardage situations and inside the 30 left me pulling my hair out most of the season. He’s actually holding Campbell back from taking the next step. Great coaches don’t let their buddies hold them back. To be successful at anything, you have to cut ties with the weak, whether their your friends or not. Manning as of now, is holding Campbell and this team from taking the next step.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
We were out-coached and out played today by the Irish. I was hoping we would see a little more creativity out of the offense after having 4 weeks to prep. It seemed like the same issues that have plagued us during the year, showed up again today:
  • An offensive line that doesn't allow for a consistent run game
  • A lack of pass rush. Even when blitzing the ND QB was seldom touched
  • Silly turnovers and penalties- the Purdy and Milton fumbles shouldn't happen. Meeker jumps offside first & goal.
  • Strange play calling inside the 20. Sure Meeker's penalty takes us from the 3 to 8, but the 3 ensuing plays seemed low % of success.
The staff needs to evaluate if the 3-3-5 gives ISU the best chance to win go forward. IMO opponents have figured out some of it's weaknesses. Teams are having a lot of success running wide and we get very little pass rush. I think we have the talent next year to go with 4 DL, but maybe going with more of a traditional 3-4-4 is a better option. McDonald, Hummel, Vance and Rose might be a solid group of LB's

Same goes on offense. Our version of the spread seems very vanilla. That's great if the OL can dominate, but that hasn't been the case with ISU's OL during Campbells tenure. Purdy is an above average QB, but IMO he isn't a great spread QB. He's a decent at getting yards when the pocket breaks down, but not so much on the zone read or zone option.

The good thing is we have a lot of talent returning, so it seems like the question is what offense and defense maximizes our talent.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Campbell has proven he has no problem replacing players, no matter who they are, when they are underperforming. Let's hope he can do the same with the coaching staff because tom manning is really bad. Absolutely horrible game plan that he had a month to prepare and absolutely no adjustments.
I don't think he should get rid of Manning, but someone else should be calling plays. Manning should be a position coach - TE or o-line.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Matt Campbell and most of his staff are absolutely the right guys to be at ISU. If you think otherwise you are a moron. With that said though, a couple of his staff members need walking papers. The o-line has been dreadful since they arrived, the special teams have been average to bad, and while ISU set records this season on offense, they were actually held back by atrocious play calling for half of most games by Tom Manning. I’m not giving up on Manning yet, he’s still learning how to be an OC, but he needs to be on Campbell’s hot seat going into next season. His horrid play calling in short yardage situations and inside the 30 left me pulling my hair out most of the season. He’s actually holding Campbell back from taking the next step. Great coaches don’t let their buddies hold them back. To be successful at anything, you have to cut ties with the weak, whether their your friends or not. Manning as of now, is holding Campbell and this team from taking the next step.

The OL coach is a kid with graduate level coaching experience that was thrown into the OL job. That approach is fine if there is an experienced offensive coordinator to guide him along. But ISU doesn't have an experienced offensive coordinator. It's the blind leading the blind. As far as I know, there is really no special teams coach to speak of. As such, it is not surprising that ISU struggles in these area.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Just barely. When we needed a yard four Seniors with numerous starts couldn’t do it. We need a serious upgrade.

Not sure if they need an upgrade at OL players, coach or both. I feel like one thing that I see from a lot of good OLs is that guys are always blocking someone, even if they lose a guy they are out looking for someone else to block.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
This needs to be the title of the 'This is why Prohm must go' thread.

I don't think anyone here is calling for CMC's head. It is a matter of a couple of position coaches are challenging our success at the next level. Our offensive coordinator will never get us over the hump and our o line is suspect at best. We need coaches who also want to get to their next level as well. I don't hear anyone coming to get any of of our position coaches, it's all Campbell rumors. Staying stagnant killed Mac and it will kill CMC if he isn't willing to fix what coaches don't perform.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
We were out-coached and out played today by the Irish. I was hoping we would see a little more creativity out of the offense after having 4 weeks to prep. It seemed like the same issues that have plagued us during the year, showed up again today:
  • An offensive line that doesn't allow for a consistent run game
  • A lack of pass rush. Even when blitzing the ND QB was seldom touched
  • Silly turnovers and penalties- the Purdy and Milton fumbles shouldn't happen. Meeker jumps offside first & goal.
  • Strange play calling inside the 20. Sure Meeker's penalty takes us from the 3 to 8, but the 3 ensuing plays seemed low % of success.
The staff needs to evaluate if the 3-3-5 gives ISU the best chance to win go forward. IMO opponents have figured out some of it's weaknesses. Teams are having a lot of success running wide and we get very little pass rush. I think we have the talent next year to go with 4 DL, but maybe going with more of a traditional 3-4-4 is a better option. McDonald, Hummel, Vance and Rose might be a solid group of LB's

Same goes on offense. Our version of the spread seems very vanilla. That's great if the OL can dominate, but that hasn't been the case with ISU's OL during Campbells tenure. Purdy is an above average QB, but IMO he isn't a great spread QB. He's a decent at getting yards when the pocket breaks down, but not so much on the zone read or zone option.

The good thing is we have a lot of talent returning, so it seems like the question is what offense and defense maximizes our talent.

To fair be we played a lot of 3-4 today in order to try to help stop the run.

Old87

Sep 30, 2012
I agree with the original post. I respect the job that the coaching staff has done, but they need to continue to develop and perfect their craft. Why was there a lack of energy and excitement with this team? Why does the coaching staff have problems calling plays in pressure situations? How many timeouts where taken this year because we couldn’t decide what play to run in these situations? Why does the team start slowly each year? Is indecision a trait of this coaching staff? I have confidence that we will continue to improve and I am already looking forward to a great year next year.
Go Clones. Cyclone Power.