This is why Prohm must go........

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
And before Tony Bennett, there was Jay Wright.

The upside risk is finding the next Wright, Bennett, or Beard.

The downside risk... Were you around for the McDermott era?

I was. And I don't care what happens, but I am not going back to prison.

Our team looks pretty lost though.

They seemed to know what they were doing in Kansas City last year.

The issue has been consistency, not our level of peak performance.

Sort of had the same problem under Hoiberg.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Probably 10 massive flops and who knows how many mediocre hires.

And by the way, Beard got beat by double digits by Iowa and was in a dog fight with that absolutely horrible Southern Miss team ISU curb stomped.
I think Beard is great, but the guy had a top 5 pick in his back yard and like 5 fifth year guys on that team last year.
So are you saying that Beard played in the national championship and tied for the big 12 championship was because he had a veteran roster and a top NBA pick? If so, then why couldn’t Prohm do anything with a roster full of veteran upperclassmen and 6 future NBA players? SIX!! That team should have easily won the Big 12 and at least been into the elite 8. But no let’s **** on Chris Beard, the guy who just won the big 12 and played on the national championship because his team was “dealt” a top 5 pick and had “like 5 fifth year guys.”

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
So are you saying that Beard played in the national championship and tied for the big 12 championship was because he had a veteran roster and a top NBA pick? If so, then why couldn’t Prohm do anything with a roster full of veteran upperclassmen and 6 future NBA players? SIX!! That team should have easily won the Big 12 and at least been into the elite 8. But no let’s **** on Chris Beard, the guy who just won the big 12 and played on the national championship because his team was “dealt” a top 5 pick and had “like 5 fifth year guys.”
Same argument for Hoiberg. That team had just as many draft picks and lost to UAB. Weird things happen in the tournament. What about that Virginia 1 seed that lost to a 16 seed. Boy Bennett needs to get fired right away doesn't he?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't disagree at all about the upsets happening, but if that is indeed the case, then why do posters here completely lose their sh!t about us losing as a 6 seed to a Power 5 11 seed?

Because that's what happens here....the same way people act like 'there, it's fixed' because of a 3 day tournament just prior.

Repeating but the 6/11 loss wasn't that big of a deal. The 2015 UAB team was way less talented than OSU, and ISU just didn't play well so it's a bad scenario.

The way the season went as a whole though would point to some things though that are worth questioning, along with taking a realistic look at where the program really is in year 5.

The 'Well, CMC went 7-5, why does he get a break?' narrative doesn't work that well since at least there's been stability in the program, and CMC really since his first year has yet to consistently get beat or have his team come out looking just totally lost. Add in that he only had uphill to go.

With football, as fans we generally know what we're going to get, with basketball, we don't.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
So....it's been a week (seems like years) and I keep shaking my head at the reality we were down, at one point in the 2nd half, by 25-pts. To IOWA ?@#@?

...and clod-hopper Garza had a double-double against us?
Did we ever once have a lead in the game (I missed the first 7-mins)?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So....it's been a week (seems like years) and I keep shaking my head at the reality we were down, at one point in the 2nd half, by 25-pts. To IOWA ?@#@?

...and clod-hopper Garza had a double-double against us?
Did we ever once have a lead in the game (I missed the first 7-mins)?
No, we never led in this game.. The closest came when Solomon tied the game with a dunk, making the score 2-2. After that, Iowa went on a 16-2 run and the rest was history. This game was lost at that point in the game, especially with the team we have this year. I believe after that run, Iowa scored 66 more points and Iowa State scored 64.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Our team looks pretty lost though.

This is what I see on the court. The guys don't look like they know what they're meant to be doing for long stretches of time. Usually on offense, but on defense sometimes too. That's coaching. And again, it isn't just this year.

Go rewatch 2016 vs Iowa (if you hate yourself) and tell me they don't look lost. Naz, Monte, Burton, and Matty Ice -- 4 NBA players -- lost to Jok, JorBo, Moss, and Pemsl. By 14 points.

At the time, I thought CSP was trying to make a point to the team by deliberately letting them flounder, so they would start listening to his guidance. Now I just think that kind of confusion is par for the course.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This is what I see on the court. The guys don't look like they know what they're meant to be doing for long stretches of time. Usually on offense, but on defense sometimes too. That's coaching. And again, it isn't just this year.

Go rewatch 2016 vs Iowa (if you hate yourself) and tell me they don't look lost. Naz, Monte, Burton, and Matty Ice -- 4 NBA players -- lost to Jok, JorBo, Moss, and Pemsl. By 14 points.

At the time, I thought CSP was trying to make a point to the team by deliberately letting them flounder, so they would start listening to his guidance. Now I just think that kind of confusion is par for the course.
That same 2016-2017 team beat a lot of good teams that year, including winning @ AFH. You're allowed to have a bad game every now and again. It happens all the time to plenty of teams. It just sucks when it happens to your team against a rival.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That same 2016-2017 team beat a lot of good teams that year, including winning @ AFH. You're allowed to have a bad game every now and again. It happens all the time to plenty of teams. It just sucks when it happens to your team against a rival.

Consistency issues and mental lapses have dogged this program since the Hoiberg and Prohm eras began. The same 2015 Hoiberg team that clowned most of the good teams on its schedule also stepped on a Lego against a crappy South Carolina, the worst Big 12 team that I can remember in Texas Tech, and, of course, UAB.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Didn't mean to make it sound like I was shitting on Beard. I never said I think Prohm is as good a coach as Beard, nor do I think that. Point is the poster above said there are lots of Beards out there like it is easy to find guy that good when the odds are actually very small and most schools keep whiffing for years turning over coaches. And all the while people are throwing a fit about this year, mainly for a loss to an Iowa team Beard also lost to by double digits. Even a damn good coach like Beard has clunkers. Hell, he was a couple possessions away from a horrendous loss to Southern Miss. It happens. And yes, it certainly helps to have a top 6 pick that you really didn't have to recruit.

If ISU misses the tournament I think Prohm should definitely have a warm seat. However, the idea that you just "go out and find the next Chris Beard" is idiotic. If it was that easy everybody would do it and you wouldn't have a bunch of programs cycling through coaches and consistently missing the tournament.

Reactions: Doc

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Probably 10 massive flops and who knows how many mediocre hires.

And by the way, Beard got beat by double digits by Iowa and was in a dog fight with that absolutely horrible Southern Miss team ISU curb stomped.
I think Beard is great, but the guy had a top 5 pick in his back yard and like 5 fifth year guys on that team last year.

They are playing without their best player Ramsey and still beat #1 Louisville. If we lost Halliburton how would our offense look?

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
No, we never led in this game.. The closest came when Solomon tied the game with a dunk, making the score 2-2. After that, Iowa went on a 16-2 run and the rest was history. This game was lost at that point in the game, especially with the team we have this year. I believe after that run, Iowa scored 66 more points and Iowa State scored 64.

We were down by double digits for 35.5 minutes of a 40 minute game. Tough to do that.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
That pales to the NCAA tournament, and you know it. Every team, when they start practice, has a goal in mind: March Madness.
The Ohio State loss was much more significant to our program than the TTech win. Yes, the win over Tech helped earn us the 6 seed, and then we did nothing with it, losing immediately to a team that barely made the tournament.
So that win in Lubbock meant nothing. Zip.[/QUOTE]

Apparently not, to you anyway.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Consistency issues and mental lapses have dogged this program since the Hoiberg and Prohm eras began. The same 2015 Hoiberg team that clowned most of the good teams on its schedule also stepped on a Lego against a crappy South Carolina, the worst Big 12 team that I can remember in Texas Tech, and, of course, UAB.
I definitely agree. But even then you see very good / great teams lose sometimes to teams they shouldn't. Sometimes the ball just doesn't go into the hoop and every shot for the other team seems to go in.. That's basketball for ya. We haven't been consistent or lucky enough some of those years to make a deep run.

• Friendly
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We were down by double digits for 35.5 minutes of a 40 minute game. Tough to do that.
Oh I'm in agreement. You can't get yourself into that deep of a hole and expect to make a comeback, especially with the team we have this year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Oh I'm in agreement. You can't get yourself into that deep of a hole and expect to make a comeback, especially with the team we have this year.

Yeah, we don't have the offensive firepower for huge comebacks.

We have to keep it close or probably not at all.

I just don't know what happened to the team in the first five minutes of the Iowa game. If they come off the gun and play Iowa close to start, then the game is likely close throughout and we have a 50-50 shot to close it out at the end.

I do not like to imagine this team playing from significantly behind.

I hope they clean that up before the Big 12 starts. It just seemed like the moment was too big for us, that we were shell-shocked, while Iowa was reveling in it.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
So was last year acceptable to you? We had 3 great talents all playing professionally right now, 2 drafted, all 3 signed contracts. Finished 9-9 in conference, won the conference tournament then lost first round of the tournament. Conference tournaments are great but id rather win outright regular season titles.

I'd bet if you asked 100 hok fans, 99 1/2 would say yes. And before you go roaring off on me about not answering the question, well - heck yeah it was acceptable. 23 wins, a tournament championship, Big Dance exposure against a P5 team.....I could name you tons of D1 teams that would love to have that kind of a season.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
I'd bet if you asked 100 hok fans, 99 1/2 would say yes. And before you go roaring off on me about not answering the question, well - heck yeah it was acceptable. 23 wins, a tournament championship, Big Dance exposure against a P5 team.....I could name you tons of D1 teams that would love to have that kind of a season.

So something acceptable to Hok fans should be acceptable for us? Losing in the first round isnt good exposure its bad exposure, losing as a higher seed to a lower seed is a failure. Prohm hasnt beat a power 5 team in the tournament yet.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
And the team we lost to is currently one of the best teams, if not the best team in the nation. They brought back almost every one from last year and brought in some studs to take them from a good team to a great team.

• Funny
Reactions: NoCreativity

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron