Do you want to own a brewery?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Word has it that one important brewery within 30 miles of Cedar Rapids has been quietly put up For Sale. The current owners wish to fully immerse themselves in their latest venture and believe that selling a successful brewery is a way to do this. You will likely need to deal with handing out samples to tourists on a regular basis (oh darn). And you will probably need to keep brewing some of their traditional brews. My understanding is that there is an option on the existing staff as well.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Word has it that one important brewery within 30 miles of Cedar Rapids has been quietly put up For Sale. The current owners wish to fully immerse themselves in their latest venture and believe that selling a successful brewery is a way to do this. You will likely need to deal with handing out samples to tourists on a regular basis (oh darn). And you will probably need to keep brewing some of their traditional brews. My understanding is that there is an option on the existing staff as well.

Millstream?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Backpocket didn't enter my mind...but Millstream jumped into it immediately. I like Millstream but I wish they would get a bit out of their comfort zone occasionally with a unique beer.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
How much does a brewery go for?

sEDck22vj6i5YIx1OwXikkHvGvcuyqYu0VboSmsQ8LY.png

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I gotta think things like breweries and dispensaries are overpriced due to the fun factor. Plus the sheer volume of them. Wait until a recession when people start doing their drinking out of Black Velvet bottles rather than going to breweries.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney and irish

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I gotta think things like breweries and dispensaries are overpriced due to the fun factor. Plus the sheer volume of them. Wait until a recession when people start doing their drinking out of Black Velvet bottles rather than going to breweries.

There's a reason why a lot of the bigger craft breweries have sold out to Miller and Inbev... I worked in the alcohol business and every time I see a local brewery open up I just cringe because very few will actually make it.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I want to make clear, I absolutely zero idea which brewery the OP is talking about. BP is my pick just due to the identity issues they have seemed to have the last 5 years or so.

Their identity issues go back farther than that. It starts with their foundation as Old Man River in McGregor, back in like 2009 or so. Which is why I initially thought of them.

That said, from a beer stand point, they've been pretty solid recently. As soon as I saw the "tourism" angle, I was assuming it was Millstream. And their beer is a definite step behind Backpocket.