Peloton Ad

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
Great. Now i have to google 'model in Peleton ad'.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Newsflash. People getting in shape are not their target audience. That would be women with high income house holds and selling them fancy houses, good looking people, etc.

Which is what makes the commercial so stupid. They cast a woman who already looked to be in very good shape and set her on a yearlong "journey". How exactly was it life changing for her? You're either selling the bike as a means to get fit or you're selling it as a status symbol/fantasy lifestyle. Try to do both and you end up with this ad, which is rightfully getting skewered.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
The ad is not offensive at all, but as you point out, does illustrate what Peloton sells.

I don’t think they’ve missed the mark too badly. Peloton has fought against being viewed as an exercise equipment company. Imo they’re embracing being a status symbol and “community” for healthy, well-off people.

Also, not many “health” brands advertise with unhealthy people imo. It’s generally inshape people using equipment or consuming things

Makes sense, they are hella popular with the Insta influencer crowd. Maybe that's why she was documenting every second.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I thought the ad was silly for two reasons. One, because the woman looked like a model at the beginning and didn't look any different a year later. Yeah, she's really changed. Two, the bike is unbelievably expensive. Sorry, can't buy a Peloton, or a pair of Lexus SUV's for Christmas.

Didn't really think about a guy buying his wife a bike. She probably wanted the bike. Big deal.

We were making fun of this ad on Thanksgiving. Not surprised it went viral.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Like many others, I found the ad to be kinda dumb, but not offensive in any way.

Stuff like this is why I don't watch/read the news and have very limited social media. Mostly anonymous forums is it for me. I don't have the time or patience for **** like this.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I thought the ad was silly for two reasons. One, because the woman looked like a model at the beginning and didn't look any different a year later. Yeah, she's really changed. Two, the bike is unbelievably expensive. Sorry, can't buy a Peloton, or a pair of Lexus SUV's for Christmas.

Didn't really think about a guy buying his wife a bike. She probably wanted the bike. Big deal.

We were making fun of this ad on Thanksgiving. Not surprised it went viral.

found the plebe

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
The ad is not offensive at all, but as you point out, does illustrate what Peloton sells.

I don’t think they’ve missed the mark too badly. Peloton has fought against being viewed as an exercise equipment company. Imo they’re embracing being a status symbol and “community” for healthy, well-off people.

Also, not many “health” brands advertise with unhealthy people imo. It’s generally inshape people using equipment or consuming things

Yeah, I think Peloton is advertising to those who already live a relatively healthy, fit, and committed workout schedule lifestyle. Additionally, I think they view themselves as a status symbol that people can show off. If they can sell to people who don't currently live the fit and workout center lifestyle, brownie points for Peloton, but their target market are those who are already committed to the fit lifestyle.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I'm pretty sure what how it works and what it does is make your wife really happy and super hot. At least that's what the ad shows.

Only if your wife is already super hot and fit. Otherwise, it more than likely become a $2000 laundry rack.

Reactions: FinalFourCy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't think that's who they're marketing to or what they're trying to sell. I don't think I've ever seen an overweight person in any of their ads. I also don't think I've ever seen an ad where the bike is crammed into a corner of the laundry room or a finished basement or attached garage. It's always perched in a goddamn solarium that's bigger than my kitchen or positioned to look out a floor to ceiling window of a city skyline. They sell fantasy, and it's not like they're the only ones doing it so it's hardly worth getting worked up over.
If I ever paid well over two grand for an exercise bike it damned well will sit in the most prominent place in our house!

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
If you can name the product after viewing it is a successful ad.

As for the message, "you've got a year to tighten that up girl otherwise you're out the door," yeah maybe some people would find that off-putting.

I saw it as the woman just being a fitness junkie is all.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Oh, I don't know. Every Christmas morning, the first thing I do is look out the window to my driveway to see if there is a brand new Lexus with a giant bow on top. Hasn't happened yet, but I have my fingers crossed for this year.
Those ads REALLY upset me. Where's the outrage?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I love mine, set a personal record again this morning. It is nice to just go downstairs, turn it on, hop on and have someone tell me what to do. If you decide to get one, I can give you a referral code that will give you $100 in accessories.

OH HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT MR. RICH GUY OVER HERE SETTING PR'S ON HIS FANCY PELOTON.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
My problem with this ad, and other ones like this is they are always in a HUGE house that most people can't afford, and you are trying to sell a bike that costs like 2500 not including the membership per month, and you use an actress that obviously works out before getting this bike. Not many people can relate to that situation.

You mean an advertisement is selling a vision that isn't real? HOLD THE PHONE

Reactions: FinalFourCy