Post season volleyball thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Thought I'd go ahead and make a new thread for the post season. This can be an easy place to post anything about anyone playing, not just Iowa State. I always find this sport's tourney fascinating because there always seem to be surprising upsets and interesting match-ups.

I noticed from the NIVC bracket that TCU is representing the Big 12. TCU finished 7th this season. Tech was 5th, so they must have declined as they would have been the automatic qualifier. Don't know if Kansas was asked (6th place) or if they declined as well.

NCAA bracket: https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/volleyball-women/d1/2019

NIVC bracket: https://www.womensnivc.com/news/tournament-officials-announce-32-team-nivc-field

Anyway, Iowa State made it back to the NCAAs after a one-year absence! Go Cyclones!

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I haven't watched as much volleyball this season. What are our chances to get through the first round, let alone get past Minnesota?

Also, wasn't Minneapolis where we almost made it to the finals a few years ago?

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Should be a fun tournament, the top of the draw seems to have more contenders than usual. I can think of eight teams right off the top of my head that have a chance, and I might be missing a few, I don't watch much SEC VB to get a feel for their teams.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Some would argue that the Bluejays should've been seeded so it's a tough draw for sure. Spring means nothing, but we did beat/keep up with Creighton then. I do think this team can play with anybody (took sets from Texas, took Baylor to extra points in several sets).

I think the biggest thing right now is if Holthaus will be available for Friday's match.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I'm happy for the team, but losing to TT and KU down the stretch should have put them out IMO. Those were questionable loses, and ISU had no real marquee win.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm happy for the team, but losing to TT and KU down the stretch should have put them out IMO. Those were questionable loses, and ISU had no real marquee win.
The selection surprised me too, but this is a good start to next season. I love Eleanor but she is not a dominating presence which is needed in post-season tourney play.

• Disagree
Reactions: farm85

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
I read some of the analysis and posts in other places, and it made more sense how we got in. Despite the bad losses, the RPI was still in a range for consideration especially in relation to other teams on the bubble. Those teams also had bad losses, maybe lessening the effect. Plus I'm guessing El's injury was factored into the selection, probably one reason we took the somewhat unusual step of announcing the injury, especially expecting injury considerations for other teams like Stanford. It may also reflect the respect for CJL. Finally we did have wins against teams already in the tourney like UNI, South Dakota, and OU. Not big name wins but enough to help with the bubble in comparison to others. Also probably didn't hurt that we had to play #1 and #2 seeded teams twice!

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
No argument here. Back in the glory days, it was very hard to come into Hilton and beat us. Not anymore.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
No argument here. Back in the glory days, it was very hard to come into Hilton and beat us. Not anymore.

It's kind of like WBB we came really close for a bit then the rest of the conference caught up. Texas has been stout for a while but Baylor's rise was the one that I wasn't paying attention to and caught me off guard. Oh well just glad the team made the tourney will be fun if they slide by Creighton.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Broadcasts of the first two rounds are up to the host school. Most have free streams. Check the Gopher website for info.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
It's kind of like WBB we came really close for a bit then the rest of the conference caught up. Texas has been stout for a while but Baylor's rise was the one that I wasn't paying attention to and caught me off guard. Oh well just glad the team made the tourney will be fun if they slide by Creighton.
I don't think the rest of the conference has "caught up". ISU has backslid. The conference has been generally dominated by Texas and either KU, BU and ISU with ISU falling the past couple of seasons to point of missing the NCAAs last season and barely getting in this season. BU is probably here to stay as they convert the Ferrell Center into a VB only venue. KU will likely pop again as a contender. With the TX HS talent pool, TCU and Tech are always going to be capable of improving and OU's access to DFW talent will continue to make them a good program.

It's great that ISU got the AL bid, especially for the senior Herbst and the rest of the core rotation players who all return next season. The team should be better next season, especially if one of the newcomers or a transfer enable better production at OH and/or the back row. And if Holthaus is healthy and the setters don't have stage fright, the team has a chance to beat Creighton on Friday.

But there are facility issues and possibly staff issues that need to be addressed if ISU wants to return to being conference title contender. And I've felt that out of VB, MBB, WBB and FB, ISU VB has the nearby talent base and highest probability to annually compete for conference/national titles but the facility issues need to be addressed ASAP IMO in order get back on track to contend.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Being a workday I am not expecting many Cyclone fans Friday afternoon outside of players family and local alumni. Local alumni are going to stop into the campus Buffalo Wild Wings and than walk over to the pavilion for the match. If any CF'ers are driving up stop in. The BWW is only a couple hundred yards from the pavilion. Parking ramp right across the street on University Ave SE.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Gophers linky for tickets, directions and stuff.

https://gophersports.com/sports/2019/12/2/ncaa-volleyball-1st-2nd-rounds.aspx

tickets:

On Sale Timeline:
  • Tue., Dec. 3, 9:00am - Gopher Score (All Session Only)
  • Wed., Dec. 4, 9:00am - General Public (All Session Only)
  • Thu., Dec. 5, 9:00am - General Public Single Session, If Available
Prices:
  • All Session - $25
    Includes both first round matches on Friday and the second round match on Saturday
  • Single Day - $20 (If Available)

Crazyape22

Feb 22, 2019
Being a workday I am not expecting many Cyclone fans Friday afternoon outside of players family and local alumni. Local alumni are going to stop into the campus Buffalo Wild Wings and than walk over to the pavilion for the match. If any CF'ers are driving up stop in. The BWW is only a couple hundred yards from the pavilion. Parking ramp right across the street on University Ave SE.
What time will people start arriving? TIA

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
www.facebook.com
I don't think the rest of the conference has "caught up". ISU has backslid. The conference has been generally dominated by Texas and either KU, BU and ISU with ISU falling the past couple of seasons to point of missing the NCAAs last season and barely getting in this season. BU is probably here to stay as they convert the Ferrell Center into a VB only venue. KU will likely pop again as a contender. With the TX HS talent pool, TCU and Tech are always going to be capable of improving and OU's access to DFW talent will continue to make them a good program.

It's great that ISU got the AL bid, especially for the senior Herbst and the rest of the core rotation players who all return next season. The team should be better next season, especially if one of the newcomers or a transfer enable better production at OH and/or the back row. And if Holthaus is healthy and the setters don't have stage fright, the team has a chance to beat Creighton on Friday.

But there are facility issues and possibly staff issues that need to be addressed if ISU wants to return to being conference title contender. And I've felt that out of VB, MBB, WBB and FB, ISU VB has the nearby talent base and highest probability to annually compete for conference/national titles but the facility issues need to be addressed ASAP IMO in order get back on track to contend.

By facility issue do you mean the need for VB only practice building? There's nothing wrong with Hilton for VB matches

• Agree
Reactions: SMP05