Special Teams...

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
Our starting punter going down before the season was a big deal. It seems like we’ve had a ton of 15-20 yard punts this year.

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Special teams is awful, and can account for at least one of our losses (Iowa). However, I refuse to give Coach Heacock a free pass this year. He was instrumental in designing a defense to keep us competitive 2 years ago. Still pretty decent last season. But this season they have been a sieve. The 3 man front is old news, Jon. Everyone is doing it now. It is reminiscent of how Fred revolutionized college basketball with transfers, spacing the floor, and winning by trying to score more points as opposed to playing tough defense. It took a few years, but now everyone is doing it, and Fred is no longer special.

Jon needs to reach into his bag of tricks and find something new for this defense. Big 12 teams have seen it 3 years now, most have adopted it, and a few even do it better than we do. We went to a 3 man front when we didn't have the dudes on the d-line. Well, now we do. I'd love to see a more traditional defense, one that doesn't rely on just 3 guys beating 5, sometimes 6 guys to go get the QB. Fact is, we didn't have the guys in the second level this year to compensate only rushing 3. Harvey, Peavy, and Payne are what made that defense work, all were plus defenders in pass coverage. We replace them with underclassmen and less talented players like Lewis and Bickham. Frustrating to watch under-skilled offenses like Kansas and K-State feast on what is supposed to be a good defense

CloneAlta

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas City, MO
www.floorplanonline.com
The performance of Sp (i.e., "unspecial") Team, Defense, Offense and Coaching last night and the week before was incredibly underwhelming and not up to everyone's expectations. It seemed like the team had just gotten news that one of their fellow players had been diagnosed with a fatal disease---they played like they were uninspired, like they had not been prepared for the game and like they were not focused and concentrating on their assignments. I consider that to be a coaching issue. I also agree with the suggestions about our defense. WHY do we stay in a 3 man front when the opposing team has a 3rd or 4th down and short yardage---an obvious running situation the majority of the time? The game last nigh reminded me of the last game Paul Rhodes coached for us at Manhattan!!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It’s frustrating that Campbell preaches winning in the margins, yet our special teams have been poor to average at best. Those are a huge part of the margins and yet we struggle in that aspect.
I wonder if Campbell knows that

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Our starting punter going down before the season was a big deal. It seems like we’ve had a ton of 15-20 yard punts this year.
I honestly feel better with this guy than our previous starter. (not naming names as they are still college kids) Remember the rugby style debacles from last year?

• Agree
Reactions: Scott34

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Special teams is awful, and can account for at least one of our losses (Iowa). However, I refuse to give Coach Heacock a free pass this year. He was instrumental in designing a defense to keep us competitive 2 years ago. Still pretty decent last season. But this season they have been a sieve. The 3 man front is old news, Jon. Everyone is doing it now. It is reminiscent of how Fred revolutionized college basketball with transfers, spacing the floor, and winning by trying to score more points as opposed to playing tough defense. It took a few years, but now everyone is doing it, and Fred is no longer special.

Jon needs to reach into his bag of tricks and find something new for this defense. Big 12 teams have seen it 3 years now, most have adopted it, and a few even do it better than we do. We went to a 3 man front when we didn't have the dudes on the d-line. Well, now we do. I'd love to see a more traditional defense, one that doesn't rely on just 3 guys beating 5, sometimes 6 guys to go get the QB. Fact is, we didn't have the guys in the second level this year to compensate only rushing 3. Harvey, Peavy, and Payne are what made that defense work, all were plus defenders in pass coverage. We replace them with underclassmen and less talented players like Lewis and Bickham. Frustrating to watch under-skilled offenses like Kansas and K-State feast on what is supposed to be a good defense

a sieve?
ISU is FIRST in rush defense in the big 12 (also first in rush td allowed)
ISU is 3rd in scoring defense in the big 12

give me those stats with or without a 3 man front for the rest of my life. this, with recruiting classes ranked no better than 6th in the big 12. I'll let the coaches coach.
https://static.big12sports.com/custompages/pdfs/football/2019OverallStats.pdf

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
The performance of Sp (i.e., "unspecial") Team, Defense, Offense and Coaching last night and the week before was incredibly underwhelming and not up to everyone's expectations. It seemed like the team had just gotten news that one of their fellow players had been diagnosed with a fatal disease---they played like they were uninspired, like they had not been prepared for the game and like they were not focused and concentrating on their assignments. I consider that to be a coaching issue. I also agree with the suggestions about our defense. WHY do we stay in a 3 man front when the opposing team has a 3rd or 4th down and short yardage---an obvious running situation the majority of the time? The game last nigh reminded me of the last game Paul Rhodes coached for us at Manhattan!!

as mentioned in another response. ISU ranks #1 in rush defense as well as rush TD allowed in big 12. last night ISU simply got beat. it happens.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It’s frustrating that Campbell preaches winning in the margins, yet our special teams have been poor to average at best. Those are a huge part of the margins and yet we struggle in that aspect.

We are one of the worst teams I've seen this year at "winning in the margins".... and yet that is what CMC claims he preaches the most to his team.

• Winner
Reactions: Lineup

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
a sieve?
ISU is FIRST in rush defense in the big 12 (also first in rush td allowed)
ISU is 3rd in scoring defense in the big 12

give me those stats with or without a 3 man front for the rest of my life. this, with recruiting classes ranked no better than 6th in the big 12. I'll let the coaches coach.
https://static.big12sports.com/custompages/pdfs/football/2019OverallStats.pdf
Call it recency bias, maybe players are hurt, I don't know the answer... but this defense is not good. I don't care they can stuff runs on 1st down if they're gonna get gashed on 3rd down anyway. A Kansas state RB went untouched for 15 yards into the end zone 2x last night and pooka Williams averaged like 8 yards a carry last week. Defense may have been decent up till November, but it has fallen off tremendously and I don't know how anyone could deny that.

• Agree
Reactions: SDClone

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive

I'd rather talk about the offense...

Iowa, - 2 TO margin and multiple drives stopped in Iowa Territory
Baylor, ISU did not score in the first 3 quarters
OSU, 3 ints 4th qtr while defense gave up 3 points in the 2nd half. The offense gave up more points than the defense in the 2nd half!
OU, gave up a lot of points but it is OU
KSU, offense was beyond awful.
Bonus below!
vs. UNI the offense was terrible and offense vs. Texas disappeared for a good chunk of the game.

• Agree
Reactions: jbhtexas

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Holy hyperbole people. Take a deep breath. We're talking about 8-4 or 7-5. It's not like we were undefeated. This team has had the same problems all year, and I agree that is on the coaches. Hopefully Matt is coming back, in spite of all the whiners on here.

Help Support Us

Become a patron